Student buying an airplane

It's his money. He should be able to waste it as he likes.

Absolutely, but if I understood the OP correctly, he will have to put his own butt in the plane to give the owner flying lessons. I can't blame him AT ALL for wanting to have confidence in the aircraft that he has to go up in.

When I bought the piggy and found a new instructor, he wanted to see the logs and go over the airplane himself before he would go up with me. I couldn't blame him a bit.

Sure, it's his money. What is likely to happen is that he starts to dump money on this plane to get it to fly, within a year he is going to pass the 60k mark before he gets disgusted and walks away from it. The world will have one more person telling anyone who wants to hear it or not that flying is impossibly expensive and that no student should ever buy his own aircraft.

Sure, it's his money. What is likely to happen is that he starts to dump money on this plane to get it to fly, within a year he is going to pass the 60k mark before he gets disgusted and walks away from it. The world will have one more person telling anyone who wants to hear it or not that flying is impossibly expensive and that no student should ever buy his own aircraft.

I call that a 50/50 without knowing the guy. There are lucky people in the world.

There's one unknown about the scenario, the seller. There are people I know I will buy anything they have sight unseen.

Very very fair point. And this could very well be one of those scenarios...Possible, not probable I suppose.

Back