Stuck In Nebraska

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
Well, Here I am. Stuck in North Platte, NE. Waiting on a mechanic to come fix my tachometer before I continue on to Chicago. The needle dropped to zero when I started up this morning.
I'm taking this ercoupe from Greeley, CO to Chicago. No it doesnt have rudder pedals. It's not quite as nice as yours Richard although the panel has more to look at. But what does it matter when the tach wont work?

Here are some photos. Starting with the plane at Greeley CO and then cruising along at 5100 (1000ish AGL).

Attachments

• CIMG4993.JPG
    CIMG4993.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 89
  • CIMG5027.JPG
    CIMG5027.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG5004.JPG
    CIMG5004.JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 82
Did you declare an emergency for the busted tach? Looks like they foamed the ramp.

Well, Here I am. Stuck in North Platte, NE. Waiting on a mechanic to come fix my tachometer before I continue on to Chicago. The needle dropped to zero when I started up this morning.
I'm taking this ercoupe from Greeley, CO to Chicago. No it doesnt have rudder pedals. It's not quite as nice as yours Richard although the panel has more to look at. But what does it matter when the tach wont work?

Here are some photos. Starting with the plane at Greeley CO and then cruising along at 5100 (1000ish AGL).

Did you declare an emergency for the busted tach? Looks like they foamed the ramp.

I was wondering what all that white stuff was... Thought maybe it was snow, but thought ... Nah, it's only October 10th......:rofl:

I grew up in North Platte and still have family there. They got about 10-12 inches yesterday. The most of anybody in the state. You picked a heck of a time to break down there. :yes: :D

I don't know anybody out at the airport anymore, but if there is anything that I can do while you're stuck there I'd be happy to try.

bring me a tach cable for a 1946 ercoupe c/d?

To be sure I understand the situation, you're freezing your ass of in EJN because you don't have a tach cable? YGBSM. :rofl:
bring me a tach cable for a 1946 ercoupe c/d?

To be sure I understand the situation, you're freezing your ass of in EJN because you don't have a tach cable? YGBSM. :rofl:
yea yea yea... sure i COULD just listen to the engine, but I want to be sure it develops full power. and thats not legal anyway... and since I'm delivering it to an airport with a FSDO on the field... I'd say that's probably helpful.

I thought you were a professional pilot. Evidently that's not the case, because we all know that any failure occurred on the last leg. :wink2:
yea yea yea... sure i COULD just listen to the engine, but I want to be sure it develops full power. and thats not legal anyway... and since I'm delivering it to an airport with a FSDO on the field... I'd say that's probably helpful.

I thought you were a professional pilot. Evidently that's not the case, because we all know that any failure occurred on the last leg. :wink2:

This thread could make that tough to sell. I was wondering if you could get a ferry permit though. It's pretty common to do that in order to get to the place where you want to do the repair. An optical tach (I have a couple, want to borrow one?) would tell you what the RPM are.

"Oh, that tach problem in EJN? It was on the other Ercoupe I delivered, not this one. It's working fine--or was--dang, looks like it just failed too. Must be the cold weather."
This thread could make that tough to sell. I was wondering if you could get a ferry permit though. It's pretty common to do that in order to get to the place where you want to do the repair. An optical tach (I have a couple, want to borrow one?) would tell you what the RPM are.

Get on home, fix it there.
Sometimes the regulations get in the way of old fashioned common sense.
Its a small bore continental, right?

"you could overrev, the engine could fling apart, the prop could fly off":rolleyes2:

"Oh, that tach problem in EJN? It was on the other Ercoupe I delivered, not this one. It's working fine--or was--dang, looks like it just failed too. Must be the cold weather."

OK, no problem. BTW I'd like to see the maintenance logs for the "other" Ercoupe, could you bring them by tomorrow?

Sure. What time do you open up?

OK, no problem. BTW I'd like to see the maintenance logs for the "other" Ercoupe, could you bring them by tomorrow?

hahaha you guys are crazy. cant you just let me freeze in the cold in peace? lol. a shorts 360 came in yesterday with like an inch of ice all over it. it was crazy.

I'm in Lincoln. If you find parts in Lincoln I'll air freight them out to you no charge, weather permitting. I could probably find you one around here somehwere, there are Ercoups all over here. I'll PM you my phone number. If you can make it to Crete, NE (KCEK) I'm sure we can get you back in the air with some kind of tach set up.

Last edited:
hahaha you guys are crazy. cant you just let me freeze in the cold in peace? lol. a shorts 360 came in yesterday with like an inch of ice all over it. it was crazy.

I have to believe that improved the aircraft's appearance... :D

Oh come on, North Platte is a big town for western Nebraska! I've had to spend the day there, a number of times. They even have a restaurant at the airport. Hope you are on your way soon!

It's not a whole lot better in Lincoln. All of the snow melted off but the ice potential is still within a thousand feet or so and so are the clouds. I doubt anyone here will be flying much.

Oh come on, North Platte is a big town for western Nebraska! I've had to spend the day there, a number of times. They even have a restaurant at the airport. Hope you are on your way soon!

best chicken fried steak you will ever have there!

Shoot, Man, they got a huge airport there........
Not as big as the railroad yard, but still.......

Shoot, Man, they got a huge airport there........
Not as big as the railroad yard, but still.......

Air Force One landed there with Reagan. One other President, as well, if my memory serves me correctly. It has plenty of runway.

It's real although I've never had the guts to try it.

A chicken fried steak????? MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM. That's good stuff.

It's not anything weird. It's just breaded cube steak with gravy on it. You NEED to try one.

It's not anything weird. It's just breaded cube steak with gravy on it. You NEED to try one.
Maybe someday when I'm really hungry and that's the only thing they have. :)

well i passed the time today with a solo ifr trip to colorado in a comanche. and now im back in classy north platte! it was a good day. sleep time! Chicago.... I'm comin for ya!

Maybe someday when I'm really hungry and that's the only thing they have. :)

If my memory serves correct...LBF has the BIGGEST chicken fried steak I have ever seen. ..enough gravy to float a boat too :smile:

Mari - have you had the pleasure of eating Chicken Fried Chicken at least? Chicken Fried Steak is edible, but not that good, but CFC is ambrosia.

Oh my goodness....

In 1991 I spent a day in North Platte (it's the home -- or was -- or Buffalo Bill's Beef Jerky plant, IIRC?)

We actually fixed a software problem at a tiny school about an hour north (they learned the other guy with me knew magic so they called an impromptu assembly and grades k-12 showed up -- all 35 or so).

On our way out we asked for recommendations of good steak house. We drove to North Platte, stopped in the place -- vinyl floor, 50's ear tables and chairs, paper placemats with local businesses -- yeah, this should be good!

40 minutes later we get our steaks -- the toughest, gristliest, most overcooked mess o meat I've ever laid eyes on.

We laughed, ate as much baked potato as we could, and got the heck out of North Platte.

It's not a whole lot better in Lincoln. All of the snow melted off but the ice potential is still within a thousand feet or so and so are the clouds. I doubt anyone here will be flying much.

Hey now! I was flying all after noon! Ceilings were 1,900' at KCEK, vis 10+ miles. The only reason I quite was it was getting dark and my new plane has no lights. :dunno:

Maybe you were referring to sane pilots? ;)

FYI Crete is getting new runway & taxi lights, and a new wind sock thing. 17-35 paved still open, 13-31 turf closed.

Last edited:
Mari - have you had the pleasure of eating Chicken Fried Chicken at least? Chicken Fried Steak is edible, but not that good, but CFC is ambrosia.
Haha, I'm not really into breaded, fried foods. It's not a health thing either. I've never really liked all that fried breading.

Haha, I'm not really into breaded, fried foods. It's not a health thing either. I've never really liked all that fried breading.

No Weiner Schnitzel for you. (Austria's answer to Chicken Fried Steak).

Long, long ago, indeed one of the last non vegetarian meals I ate, I had a fried steak. It was Cancun, if I recall correctly. It was actually quite good, although I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate it. No gravy.

well, the plane's fixed.... but sadly its not IFR or Known ice equipped...

Back