Stucco/foundation question

guitr4040

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
guitr4040
I saw this posted 3 years ago, re: a question of height of stucco vs. ground, from JOhnH
“When I bought my house about 5 years ago, the inspector pointed out that the stucco went down below the dirt level. I don't know if it started that way or if the previous owner built up the dirt around the house and covered it with mulch.
I am finally starting to dig up the dirt/mulch around the foundation and replace it with decorative marble chips. But without proper knowledge of such things, I'm not sure if this is a good approach or how deep I should go.
I'm looking for suggestions.”
(I’m very new here, so forgive if this is not written correctly… ) I have the exact problem, but had lots of rain in S CA, causing flooding into the home. One handyman suggested using a strong Epoxy to waterproof the stucco, since there is not much room to bring in equipment to put in drains.Wanted to know if anyone has suggestions - I realize the main issue is the ground being higher than stucco (it should be about 4” lower is what I was told). I’m on my own, and will keep consulting locally, but wondered if anyone here had suggestions. Handyman dug a 25’ trench and covered w/plastic (we have another rain expected next weekend) I have about 1 1/2 inch water collected in the plastic right now & am considering using a sump pump. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 24
What's the construction of the house, block or frame? If it's block, or the foundation is block, are you sure it's stucco and not parge? If it's parge, just leave it alone, it's meant to be at grade.

Last edited:
The home is a single story in S California, made of stucco. (I am virtually positive it is block, not frame) I was already informed regulations are that the grade must be at least 4 inches lower than the foundation.I am waiting to hear from local experts, but as we have had very heavy rains, and more are predicted for this weekend, am anxious to do what I can to prevent any more damages.
2019 California Residential Code, Title 24, Part 2.5 with July 2021 Supplement - CHAPTER 4 FOUNDATIONS - R404.1.6 Height above finished grade .

“Concrete and masonry foundation walls shall extend above the finished grade adjacent to the foundation at all points not less than 4 inches (102 mm) masonry veneer is used and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) elsewhere”.

Last edited:
No home is constructed of stucco. Stucco is a cosmetic application over exterior sheathing, insulation,wire mesh, then a cement- like scratch coat and finally the application of stucco in whatever color and texture. Stucco has a high lime content, and readily absorbs water once the outer layer is damaged, or is in wet areas like ground contact.

Parging on the other hand looks like stucco but ia a more cementitious coating applied directly over block or brick, sometimes over a wire mesh. It isnt affected by moisture, which is why it's approved for use at grade. If your house is block and has a coating all the way to the grade, then it very likely is parge and not stucco.

I worked for a mason contractor summers in college, and my job was parging concrete and block foundations. Big difference between parge and stucco, but the look is virtually the same. Have to be a pretty incompetent builder to use stucco at grade.

Last edited:
The home is a single story in S California, made of stucco. (I am virtually positive it is block, not frame)
Is it permissible to construct houses made of block in earthquake territory?

OK - this is way beyond my “wage scale”… Turns out my cousin came by and noted that my downspout was blocked off by heavy plastic a roofer put over the entire side of the house. He set up a sump pump and noted the downspout was working fine. He isn’t even convinced my grading is a problem. (I’ll figure out what the house is - block or parge. I was hoping my mentioning this is S Cali would explain the likely answer.

Is it permissible to construct houses made of block in earthquake territory?
Yes, as long as there is reinforcement. Can also be used for retaining walls, etc.... Some of the homes built here after the fire have block walls
1707757302392.jpeg

I have been down this road... to my fortune, it was a garage with our house in Long Beach, CA, so there was not much damage to contend with.

I would first try some rain gutters and make sure that the water is drawn away from the house...if you do it, get the 6" gutters... with the rain we have (none - then all at once), the 4" inch ones can be overwhelmed. You may also want to think about putting down concrete (hardscape) in that area and have it sloped to take the water away from the house. It looks like it alleyway, so this could be a win-win, that is you just picked up some storage area.

Also, look at your neighbor's setup... is the slope from their house sending water into your yard?

Lastly, check your drywall... get a moisture checker, if it gets wet, you may have a mold issue further down the road... Better to tackle it now before that happens... that is cut it out, give it a few months to dry, then redo it... if you have to do a mold remediation, add four of five zeros to the cost - and yes, a permit is needed and this needs to be disclosed should you sell the house.

As for your handyman's recommendation, to me, that is a band-aid fix... As for room for drains, there has to be at least a 5' of setback... when we did our backyard, they had no problem getting a Bobcat down the side of the house to the backyard..

45788_en_c6e50_48531_bobcat-smallest-skid-steer-loader-ssl-s70.jpg

Back