STS-132 - Friday, May 14, 2010

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
I'll be heading down to Titusville today after work, and tomorrow I'll be at KSC for the launch of Atlantis. Tried back in Feb to see the last night launch but it was scrubbed and I had to return to work. At least this weekend I'll hopefully have a few days to work with if anything goes awry!

Is anyone else here going?

Is this the final shuttle launch?

For Atlantis, yes. I believe there are two more scheduled launches after this one though (One each for Discovery and Endeavour)

Last planned launch for Atlantis. I read that it will be the standby bird for the later launches if one has to go up to rescue crew.

For Atlantis, yes. I believe there are two more scheduled launches after this one though (One each for Discovery and Endeavour)

Ahhh. I'd sure like to see a lauch, but seeing as how I haven't gotten around to it for 25 years, I probably won't now...

Tried back in Feb to see the last night launch but it was scrubbed and I had to return to work.

What I always wanted to do was circle just outside the TFR above a cloud layer for a night launch and see it come blasting through the clouds...

Ahhh. I'd sure like to see a lauch, but seeing as how I haven't gotten around to it for 25 years, I probably won't now...

I think I read here that there's supposed to be on on July 29. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale. Probably too far south. Drat!

I think I read here that there's supposed to be on on July 29. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale. Probably too far south. Drat!

Per the NASA site (+ Targeting for, * No earlier than):

Date: May 14
Mission: STS-132
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 2:20 p.m. EDT
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis mission will carry an integrated cargo carrier to deliver maintenance and assembly hardware, including spare parts for space station systems. In addition, the second in a series of new pressurized components for Russia, a Mini Research Module, will be permanently attached to the bottom port of the Zarya module.

Date: Sept. 16 +
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Time: 11:57 a.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MLPM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.

Date: Mid-Nov. *
Mission: STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Time: To Be Determined
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver an EXPRESS Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

I was at the first shuttle landing at Edwards back in the early 80s, it would be nice to go to FLA for the last launch

I think we need a PoA get-together to watch (LIVE!) either the July or Nov. launch.

There is no doubt that you will see it from FTL if the weather is reasonably clear to the north of you. We watched them from the office in Tampa. A night launch lit up my yard very nicely just north of Tampa once.

There is no doubt that you will see it from FTL if the weather is reasonably clear to the north of you. We watched them from the office in Tampa. A night launch lit up my yard very nicely just north of Tampa once.

Great news. Looks like any meetings at launch time will just have to take a break. :D

Good luck and travel well, William. A launch is an awesome thing to watch!

I was there for the first one.

Planning to be there for the last one.

Back