Strong Crosswinds = FUN landings

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Greetings everyone!

I thought I would share my lesson from yesterday. I was doing pattern work and all the fun stuff I have learned so far, then my instructor suggested that with 12 - 20 kt crosswinds it would be the perfect time to teach crosswind landings.

(I am ok with reg. takeoffs/landings)

Well lets put it this way, I landed 6 on my own and really 2 tops were ok to good. I must say that it was a lot of fun. Used the "CRAB" technique, what I think I took out of the lesson more than anything is give yourself a long approach to set up with rather than a normal approach I would use.

Now, many of you may know that I have been searching for a plane for myself to build time and continue to train on. I am learning on a local schools C172 and just putting the finnishing touches on my deal to buy a C152. Here is a question I would be interested to hear some thoughts on... How does a C172 vs a C152 do in strong crosswind situations?

Just one more funny thing, en route back to my home airport, the active runway was into the wind so I would be setting up as a normal approach... well just as I went to flare I delayed a bit and the rear wheels went down a little hard. I felt that in some ways I regressed after the lesson with crosswind techniques.

Just thought I would share with you all.

~Jay

Ahh now Jay for some fun X-Wind go out to KPVC or Chatham. Its always an experience there.

I was out in Chatham doing those landing. You are right, lots of fun :)

CapeCodJay said:
Greetings everyone!

I thought I would share my lesson from yesterday. I was doing pattern work and all the fun stuff I have learned so far, then my instructor suggested that with 12 - 20 kt crosswinds it would be the perfect time to teach crosswind landings.

(I am ok with reg. takeoffs/landings)

Well lets put it this way, I landed 6 on my own and really 2 tops were ok to good. I must say that it was a lot of fun. Used the "CRAB" technique, what I think I took out of the lesson more than anything is give yourself a long approach to set up with rather than a normal approach I would use.

Now, many of you may know that I have been searching for a plane for myself to build time and continue to train on. I am learning on a local schools C172 and just putting the finnishing touches on my deal to buy a C152. Here is a question I would be interested to hear some thoughts on... How does a C172 vs a C152 do in strong crosswind situations?

Just one more funny thing, en route back to my home airport, the active runway was into the wind so I would be setting up as a normal approach... well just as I went to flare I delayed a bit and the rear wheels went down a little hard. I felt that in some ways I regressed after the lesson with crosswind techniques.

Just thought I would share with you all.

~Jay

The C152 is as one would predict looking at weight and wing area, a fair bit more squirrelly in the wind than the SkyHawk, as experienced in both aircraft while in variable 30 to 90 degree X-Winds of the mid-30 knot range at KBFI and others over the years. There is little if any, room for pilot airrors with either aircraft while on or flying near the runway in those kind of winds.

Last edited:
CapeCodJay said:
Both airplanes can handle more crosswind than all but the most skillful pilots. Better to buy the plane that best suits your needs (and the 172 and 152 fulfill very different needs) than to worry about which handles crosswinds better.

AdamZ said:
Ahh now Jay for some fun X-Wind go out to KPVC or Chatham. Its always an experience there.

Or when on vacation, and you want some real X-wind practice, LUP (Kalaupapa, Molokai) and OGG (Kahului, Maui) will give you a workout. :D And the sightseeing is spectacular, too.

I have alwys felt that a strong crosswind wasnt too big a deal for me. It was the GUSTS that got me amuck. A constant crosswind you can adjust for and take the path down easy enough but when a gust blows you have to make a good manuever to keep it all together.

I still take a CFI up with me from time to time JUST to do x-wind landing practice in both warriors and skyhawks.

greglansing said:
I have alwys felt that a strong crosswind wasnt too big a deal for me. It was the GUSTS that got me amuck. A constant crosswind you can adjust for and take the path down easy enough but when a gust blows you have to make a good manuever to keep it all together.

I still take a CFI up with me from time to time JUST to do x-wind landing practice in both warriors and skyhawks.

You got that right, even in smoothe air, whether it's moving or not, always be ready for the gust factors. Seems like there's always some kind of gusting going on, more or less. I don't ever remember perfectly smoothe wind, and if I ever were in it, I'd be waiting and ready for a gust!

Strong, gusty and crosswind -- me no likey.

I found that my best training for xwinds was the instrument rating. After focusing so intently on the approach, the landing always seemed like cake. Maybe because you make corrections for the wind throughout the procedure? I found myself greatly exceeding my previous personal limits with ease. It, of course, helps to have a competent CFI with you! Now I'm much more comfortable with crosswinds. BUT - I still don't like gusts!

flyersfan31 said:
Strong, gusty and crosswind -- me no likey.

I found that my best training for xwinds was the instrument rating. After focusing so intently on the approach, the landing always seemed like cake. Maybe because you make corrections for the wind throughout the procedure? I found myself greatly exceeding my previous personal limits with ease. It, of course, helps to have a competent CFI with you! Now I'm much more comfortable with crosswinds. BUT - I still don't like gusts!

Another thing I've found helpful over the years is while on short final, wag the tail/ rudder while rocking wings/ailerons agressively and quickly a few times. It fires some of the synapses and NMS pathways that will shortly be used and helps give a feel for fast corrections.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Another thing I've found helpful over the years is while on short final, wag the tail/ rudder while rocking wings/ailerons agressively and quickly a few times. It fires some of the synapses and NMS pathways that will shortly be used and helps give a feel for fast corrections.
Be careful doing this with passengers.

Back