Strike Finder

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
A buddy has a plane with a strike finder looks somewhat new. He says that when he flies the strike finder shows strikes all around him even on a clear day. Is he setting the strike finder to sensitive or to close a range, or does it sound as if there is a problem with the equipment?

Sounds like an installation problem to me. Maybe getting this from the strobes or other stray RF(radio frequency) coming from somewhere in the plane.

AdamZ said:
A buddy has a plane with a strike finder looks somewhat new. He says that when he flies the strike finder shows strikes all around him even on a clear day. Is he setting the strike finder to sensitive or to close a range, or does it sound as if there is a problem with the equipment?
Sounds like an equipment problem or possibly a static discharge and/or grounding issue. Usually when something like a strobe interferes it shows up on the display as a group of cells on the same relative bearing. AFaIK there are no user settable sensitivity adjustments.

It's almost certainly an installation problem. I'd bet that either the Strikefinder wiring is bundled with other wiring (like the strobes) or it's not grounded properly. A good avionics shop should be able to figure out the problem in short order.

If it once worked properly but has now started malfunctioning, he should turn off everything and work each electronic item individually. I had a similar problem with my stormscope. Turned out that when I switched my audio panel from com 1 to com 2 it would throw noise the stormscope interpreted as a cell.

Back