Strike 2 for AOPA on ramp fees.

Why the snarky response?

The vast majority of airports in the US have no-charge 4 hour or more access for GA aircraft. Some of the Charlie airports in our area used to have this policy for the small guy to pick-up and drop-off. The new Signature contracts forced an end to that.

John Wayne airport reintroduced no-charge self service ramp for small GA flights with great effect for the local economy.

The snarky response is because people think local airports just print money. Today you will be hard pressed to find many D airports that do not have a ramp fee.

The snarky response is because people think local airports just print money. Today you will be hard pressed to find many D airports that do not have a ramp fee.
Almost none of the D airports in the San Francisco Bay area have ramp fees for day use by light piston airplanes.

Last edited:
Almost none of the D airports I have been to have had ramp fees, but hey, what do I know; not like I've been to many...

jW6De0S.jpg

Most FBOs are great. The pondlife at Signature and their ilk are not, monopolising airport space that has already been paid for by tax and forcibly selling it back to us again. Oddly enough, people don't enjoy being forced to pay for something twice.

I'm just pointing out that the whole country is not necessarily like your part of it.

Seldom do ramp fees effect piston engine pilots around the home area. It is when you travel they become apparent.

Great idea.

When can we sign you up to volunteer 4 hours a week to empty trash cans, man a security gate, clear snow?

Where does the airport get the money to build and maintain the pavement? Can you talk to all your neighbors and get them to pass a tax increase to pay for this?

Use the same group that does those task on all the other federal and state properties. The feds put the fences up, let them worry about how to "man" them though most if not all are automated now.

They get the money from the same place they always have, budgets, grants, hangar rent.

Seldom do ramp fees effect piston engine pilots around the home area. It is when you travel they become apparent.
How would it make any difference whether the pilot was landing in his home area? FBOs don't typically know or ask where pilots are based, in my experience.

Last edited:
Back