• Coleslaw

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Lachlan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Lachlan
What it the newest/best version of the Stratux (or similar) that’s ForeFlight compatible and works well? I could build or buy, but haven’t looked into them and don’t know enough about them yet to know what’s best. (Internal battery vs powered, which GPS chipset, What board, pre-built or build it myself, etc.) So, what does everyone agree on as the way to go? ;)

On one of our flights together my CFII pulled his Scout out and set it up mid flight. I get the idea for Scout and it's simple. However, personally, if I felt the need to get one of these devices I would just grab a Stratus 2. I think Scout and
Stratux are great for VFR pilots. I would feel safer not D.I.Y.ing something like this if you also fly IFR. The fact that the Stratus 2 has it's own battery, backup AHRS, and WAAS GPS is a huge plus to me.

Last edited:
I went with Stratux because of the HUGE cost delta between that and the other portable ADS-B IN devices that existed when I built mine. I also already had some experience with Raspberry Pi and like them. It's even easier/better now that the Pi 3 has wifi and BT built in, and there are nice pre-made cases and inexpensive, matched antenna and receiver setups available. My Stratux also has WAAS GPS, and I may spend the $15 to add AHRS (only because that board also has a fan controller).

If you possess the brain power and manual dexterity required to fly an airplane, then assembling a Stratux and making it work is almost certainly within your capabilities. On the other hand, if the $700-plus cost difference falls below your threshold of what you consider significant, the Stratus 2s can save you an afternoon of assembly.

Last edited:
I had a Stratus 1, upgraded to a Stratus 2, and then sold it in favor of a Stratux. Works just as well for weather and traffic.

The newest/best version of the Stratux is the one you build from the "official"shopping list and update with the latest software build.

I bought a pre-assembled Stratux for around $200. Mine has WAAS GPS and AHRS. Works quite well and is a much better bang for the buck than a Scout. I’m pleased so far.

I've had 2 stratux (built one with remote antennas, bought a pre-made with attached antennas) and a Stratus 2s...I wouldn't have believed it before trying, but the Stratus 2s receives WAAAAY better than the two stratux I had. Not to mention, at the time (I think this is changed now), but the only way I could get AHRS for back-up IFR work was to go with the Stratus. The Stratus 2s is smaller too, even with an internal battery. I've found my battery lasts about 4 hours, then I just plug it in to Kmashi (from my Stratux build) and it will go all day while charging.
I guess that's the difference between $180 Stratux and $900 Stratus...you get what you pay for.

I've had 2 stratux (built one with remote antennas, bought a pre-made with attached antennas) and a Stratus 2s...I wouldn't have believed it before trying, but the Stratus 2s receives WAAAAY better than the two stratux I had. Not to mention, at the time (I think this is changed now), but the only way I could get AHRS for back-up IFR work was to go with the Stratus. The Stratus 2s is smaller too, even with an internal battery. I've found my battery lasts about 4 hours, then I just plug it in to Kmashi (from my Stratux build) and it will go all day while charging.
I guess that's the difference between $180 Stratux and $900 Stratus...you get what you pay for.
True. A finished manufactured product that takes less space, has everything built in and is (was) the only think available in a tightly-controlled product line is going to be more expensive and more polished cosmetically than a DIY. But having used both, I personally have not see enough difference in capability to justify the $700+ price differential.

I've never been a big tablet AHRS fan. I added AHRS to my Stratux because it has a fan controller. It does work with FF now, though - FF recently opened itself up to more ADS-B/AHRS units.

Stratux purchased off of eBay around $225. Works great. Only complaint is the battery is separate from the unit [not built in like the Stratus] . We now leave the Stratux on the glairshield and plug the unit into the cigar lighter. Use the battery only for a back up should we have an issue with the power supply.

If you're looking at available feature sets, it's hard to beat the Levil BOM, in my opinion. AHRS, dual-band ADS-B IN, pressure altitude, airspeed, temperature, angle of attack and no concerns about running out of power. Not the best device if you're just looking for the cheapest way to get ADS-B in, however.

True. Stratux may also be the reason Stratus isn’t $2k.

For me, it was a choice between Stratux and nothing. ADSB-IN is a great convenience that is easily worth $200 to me, but not $900.

Self built Stratux in the early days and is a solid performer still. It has the separate GPS\AHRS chip wired to the Pi pins and locks fast and holds the GPS lock

Still using an older version of the firmware so that the AHRS part of the chip is used, as opposed to the coded solution to AHRS that appeared in the later builds

So far coleslaw is holding its own, running tight up against the Stratus 2. I think I’ll try a Stratux with the AHRS chipset and see how it runs. If I need something more I’ll move on to something more.

One of my partners bought a Stratus and we used it, then he took it away when he bought his 210. I bought the parts and assembled a Stratux and use it with ForeFlight.

Back