Stratus Gen 2 Released

gkaiser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gkaiser
I guess a Foreflight with traffic release should be soon :)

I guess a Foreflight with traffic release should be soon :)

I wouldn't be so sure...read the description of the 2nd gen closer...

Note: ADS-B traffic is limited unless your aircraft has ADS-B Out installed in the panel.

Oh you just have to be kidding me. I bought a stratus 'one' a month ago.

Any differences between the two besides traffic?

Apparently, with the new version of Foreflight, first generation Stratus will also show traffic:

ForeFlight Mobile 5.1 will also unlock traffic on the first generation Stratus portable ADS-B receiver. With certified ADS-B out options now available for aircraft, pilots can equip with an “out” transponder – such as the FreeFlight Ranger TX - and get a very useful traffic picture. Without this “out” equipment, however, pertinent traffic is rarely visible since ADS-B towers remain silent until contacted by an aircraft equipped with ADS-B “out” capability.

I just got mine last week. What is Sporty's return policy?

I just got mine last week. What is Sporty's return policy?

Here it is:
What is your “one-year guarantee”?

Our one-year guarantee has not changed since we introduced our first product in 1962. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, let us know – we will make it right.
If you would like a refund or exchange, please return the product in a timely basis, in the same condition in which it was received.

Apparently, with the new version of Foreflight, first generation Stratus will also show traffic:
Does the FreeFlight Ranger TX meet the FAA ADS-B requirement by itself, or do you need additional equipment as well?

I wonder if Garmin will lower their GDL 39? I doubt it, heck they might raise their price to $899

Does the FreeFlight Ranger TX meet the FAA ADS-B requirement by itself, or do you need additional equipment as well?

Can order with or without internal WAAS GPS, so depends.

Last edited:
Can order with or without internal WAAS GPS, so depends.
So if you already have a WAAS GPS or you order it with the internal GPS, then in theory you are good to go when 2020 rolls around?

So if you already have a WAAS GPS or you order it with the internal GPS, then in theory you are good to go when 2020 rolls around?

They have two different lines of products. The Ranger series is transceiver that can satisfy the 2020 requirements. The Explorer series is a WiFi Enabled unit that appears to be a receiver only, which will not.

If your current WAAS GPS has an open RS232 port then yes, the Ranger without the WAAS can be interfaced to it for the 2020 rules.

They have two different lines of products. The Ranger series is transceiver that can satisfy the 2020 requirements. The Explorer series is a WiFi Enabled unit that appears to be a receiver only, which will not.

If your current WAAS GPS has an open RS232 port then yes, the Ranger without the WAAS can be interfaced to it for the 2020 rules.
Great, thanks!

The ranger even appears to have diversity antenna capability which eliminates blind spots with antennas on top and botton of the aircraft.

Last edited:
Looks like the FreeFlight Ranger TX option is only necessary for Stratus V1. Sounds like V2 has all it needs for traffic?

As a V1 Stratus owner (eBay purchase) I'm okay with this as traffic still seems pretty incomplete.

Maybe Stratus V3 will bring some EFIS. That would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Sure hope they add a filter. I don't need to see the IDs and tracks of aircraft thousands of feet above or below. Add two zeros to the + or - values shown; +308 means the airplane is 30,800 feet above you. Who cares?!

img_0633.png

Sure hope they add a filter. I don't need to see the IDs and tracks of aircraft thousands of feet above or below. Add two zeros to the + or - values shown; +308 means the airplane is 30,800 feet above you. Who cares?!

img_0633.png

Heh, my guess is the app looks more impressive with more traffic. Given the limited coverage of ADS-B traffic, they probably figured they would get more complaints from people seeing nothing.

That said, I just ordered by Stratus 2 after being on the fence about the Stratus 1. Looking forward to trying it out!

I'll be ordering one since I can do traffic now. :D

I wouldn't be so sure...read the description of the 2nd gen closer...

Note: ADS-B traffic is limited unless your aircraft has ADS-B Out installed in the panel.

But it is something. It's better than the option we had before.

I did not think any portable units would meet ADS-B Out requirements. The WAAS gos reciever and ADS-B Out transmitter needs to be hard mounted in the aircraft.

I'll be ordering one since I can do traffic now. :D

You do not get 100% of the traffic around you, unless you have ADS-B Out hard mounted in the airplane. Or you are in tight formation with an ADS-B Out capable aircraft.

I did not think any portable units would meet ADS-B Out requirements. The WAAS gos reciever and ADS-B Out transmitter needs to be hard mounted in the aircraft.

Correct but The link shows the Ranger is not a portable unit.

There is a whole list of minimum message requirements that must be met by an ADS-B out system that includes aircraft specific data, rendering portable ADS-B units unable to comply with the 2020 rules without reprogramming between aircraft.

(d) Minimum Broadcast Message Element Set for ADS-B Out. Each aircraft must broadcast the following information, as defined in TSO-C166b or TSO-C154c. The pilot must enter information for message elements listed in paragraphs (d)(7) through (d)(10) of this section during the appropriate phase of flight.

(1) The length and width of the aircraft;

(2) An indication of the aircraft's latitude and longitude;

(3) An indication of the aircraft's barometric pressure altitude;

(4) An indication of the aircraft's velocity;

(5) An indication if TCAS II or ACAS is installed and operating in a mode that can generate resolution advisory alerts;

(6) If an operable TCAS II or ACAS is installed, an indication if a resolution advisory is in effect;

(7) An indication of the Mode 3/A transponder code specified by ATC;

(8) An indication of the aircraft's call sign that is submitted on the flight plan, or the aircraft's registration number, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(9) An indication if the flightcrew has identified an emergency, radio communication failure, or unlawful interference;

(10) An indication of the aircraft's “IDENT” to ATC;

(11) An indication of the aircraft assigned ICAO 24-bit address, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(12) An indication of the aircraft's emitter category;

(13) An indication of whether an ADS-B In capability is installed;

(14) An indication of the aircraft's geometric altitude;

(15) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Position (NACP );

(16) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Velocity (NACV );

(17) An indication of the Navigation Integrity Category (NIC);

(18) An indication of the System Design Assurance (SDA); and

(19) An indication of the Source Integrity Level (SIL).

I almost pulled the trigger last week and decided to wait until after my annual, which starts this week. I guess my intuition worked

Traffic is not a difference between the two - The original Stratus will support the same traffic features as the new Stratus once ForeFlight 5.1 hits the app store in another couple of weeks.

The main functionality difference is that the new Stratus includes an AHRS.

Looks like the FreeFlight Ranger TX option is only necessary for Stratus V1. Sounds like V2 has all it needs for traffic?

Again, the traffic is a feature of ForeFlight 5.1, NOT a feature of the new Stratus. Both Stratus units will support traffic with ForeFlight 5.1.

The caveat is that the ADS-B system does not send any traffic data except for ADS-B Out equipped aircraft and other aircraft within a 15nm/3500-foot "hockey puck" around the ADS-B Out equipped aircraft. This is NOT a good traffic solution unless you are ADS-B Out equipped, same as the rest of the portables. It'll be a much more useful feature as 2020 approaches.

Maybe Stratus V3 will bring some EFIS. That would be a worthwhile upgrade.

That is what Stratus "V2" added - Both Stratus units support traffic, the new one has an AHRS as well.

Troy, there is a "Filter Traffic" option in the settings for 5.1. Thus, if you only want nearby aircraft to show up, you can do that - Or if you're a geek like me who likes seeing tons of other aircraft, you can do that too. ;)

You do not get 100% of the traffic around you, unless you have ADS-B Out hard mounted in the airplane. Or you are in tight formation with an ADS-B Out capable aircraft.

I understand that. It is better than nothing though.

Again, the traffic is a feature of ForeFlight 5.1, NOT a feature of the new Stratus. Both Stratus units will support traffic with ForeFlight 5.1.

The caveat is that the ADS-B system does not send any traffic data except for ADS-B Out equipped aircraft and other aircraft within a 15nm/3500-foot "hockey puck" around the ADS-B Out equipped aircraft. This is NOT a good traffic solution unless you are ADS-B Out equipped, same as the rest of the portables. It'll be a much more useful feature as 2020 approaches.

That is what Stratus "V2" added - Both Stratus units support traffic, the new one has an AHRS as well.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. So, it sounds like the AHRS is a separate app?

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. So, it sounds like the AHRS is a separate app?

Yes, Appareo wrote their own app for that.

A few other things with the new Stratus:

* It's smaller. It's a hair longer, but much narrower.

* It's cooler - thermally speaking! The case is white instead of black and there are some vents that have microfans that will kick on if necessary.

* There are ports to add external antennas for both GPS and ADS-B if desired (the original does not support an external GPS antenna, only ADS-B).

* There is another port for expansion purposes. No word yet on what those expansions will be. :dunno:

Anyone know the time line when it'll have good coverage in the SD/WY/ND area?

You still may not get 100% of the traffic, even with ADS-B Out. TIS-B and ADS-R aren't available everywhere, and until everyone has ADS-B Out, you won't be able to pick up everyone air-to-air on 1090. ADS-B Out should get you more relevant traffic, rather than traffic that is in proximity to other aircraft which are triggering the TIS-B/ADS-R broadcast with their ADS-B Out transmissions.

Stratus 1 does not have a 1090MHz receiver, and is therefore unable to receive the air-to-air traffic on that frequency. However, this traffic should be rebroadcast via ADS-R over the UAT frequency which Stratus 1 receives, but this only occurs in areas with ground stations. Secondary targets not equipped with ADS-B Out are rebroadcast on TIS-B in a similar manner.

At least, that is my understanding of how the system works.

JKG

I was told by a knowledgable person that the existing Stratus box has traffic - its just turned off software wise. Thus, there is ZERO reason to have to buy a new box to get traffic - other than the partners wanting to sell a more expensive box to people.

I am JUST talking about traffic - not about the AHRS option - JUST traffic. I know there are additional features- but one of these two 'upgrades' is already supported by the existing hardware. Lets see if they turn it on.

I was told by a knowledgable person that the existing Stratus box has traffic - its just turned off software wise. Thus, there is ZERO reason to have to buy a new box to get traffic - other than the partners wanting to sell a more expensive box to people.

I am JUST talking about traffic - not about the AHRS option - JUST traffic. I know there are additional features- but one of these two 'upgrades' is already supported by the existing hardware. Lets see if they turn it on.

Stratus 1 cannot receive air-to-air traffic (from aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out) because it does not have a 1090MHz receiver. It can receive these targets via ADS-R if in proximity to a ground station, with some limitations.

In my opinion, I don't think that there is much of a reason to upgrade to Stratus 2 unless you want AHRS, or unless you frequently operate in an area without TIS-B/ADS-R service. However, I suspect that most high density traffic areas are equipped with TIS-B/ADS-R service (but you still need an ADS-B Out onboard or in your vicinity to trigger the transmission).

JKG

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAArgh!

*PLEASE*, read the thread - As I've already stated, the first-generation Stratus DOES support traffic as soon as you install ForeFlight 5.1 and update the Stratus firmware to version 2.3 (via ForeFlight), which I'm told will be in the app store later this month - we're already in the beta testing phase, I'm already using my original Stratus and getting traffic.

So, yes it will be turned on.

(I do not speak for ForeFlight nor am I employed by them, yadda yadda yadda, don't complain and say I sent you, and I'm not saying anything that's not already public information - Just trying to clarify!)

Stratus and Garmin will pick up ADS-B R, but the R has to be triggered by someone near you with ADSB Out. The R broadcast is to that aircraft and you can listen in and get the data.

Remember, the R broadcast is filtered to traffic that is within 15 NM of that aircraft. If you are 10nm from that aircraft, you'll get a R picture, but if there is another aircraft 6nm to your other side, it will not be in the R broadcast.

I agree, that in a busy environment there may be enough ADSB Out aircraft triggering R broadcasts, that you "could" get a complete picture with Stratus, Garmin, or other portable bricks.

On another note, I was flying with a Garmin 530 recieving TIS B and it showed aircraft that I did not believe we're there. I challenged TRaCON and they confirmed no traffic on their displays. Ghost TIS B aircraft?

Back