Stratus firmware update

Reedster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Reed
Foreflight just gave me a notice that there is an updated firmware available for the Stratus. Has anyone updated their units yet? Any issues?

Also I tried to find a listing of the changes, but wasn't able to. I thought I had seen a list in the past, but couldn't find one for this update.

I think it is version 2.0, which makes Googling a challenge.

haven't done the new updates - past updates have gone well

Thanks for letting us know. I'll have to update it this weekend.

How do i update my stratus?
I see no interface.

establish wireless connection to stratus, open ForeFlight

select more, then devices and about halfway down the page is the Update Firmware command.

I'm loading v1.6 right now

establish wireless connection to stratus, open ForeFlight

select more, then devices and about halfway down the page is the Update Firmware command.

I'm loading v1.6 right now

Does the firmware update automatically? I just checked and I am up to date "V1.6". I have had it over a year and I have never purposely updated it. I never even know you could.

edit to add: My only problem is that the charging cord needs to be held just right and supported or it keeps losing connection. Would this be covered under any sort of warranty?

I let mine update to 2.0. Am I the only one who has it? It sounds like everyone else is at 1.6.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 29
I've updated both the firmware and the wifi. It was two separate updates but both simple and easy to do.

ForeFlight and Stratus... I'm a big fan.

Does the firmware update automatically? I just checked and I am up to date "V1.6". I have had it over a year and I have never purposely updated it. I never even know you could.

edit to add: My only problem is that the charging cord needs to be held just right and supported or it keeps losing connection. Would this be covered under any sort of warranty?

Mine isn't too bad - yet. It works ok unless I wiggle the cable even just a little bit, then the charging cuts in and out. Which means it is going to be an issue soon.

They certainly should cover it under warranty, particularly since a big selling point of the new 2S is "...and a next generation power connector." So obviously they knew there was a problem with the original.

I definitely won't pay $699.00 to fix their cable issue, so hopefully they will support these units.

Got a reply from foreflight support.

Basically instructions on how to do the update. No information on what the update addresses or changes. But maybe that's information Appareo has.

One thing I didn't know which was helpful, there is an app for updating the Stratus available from Appareo in Apple's App Store.

Got a reply from foreflight support.

Basically instructions on how to do the update. No information on what the update addresses or changes. But maybe that's information Appareo has.

One thing I didn't know which was helpful, there is an app for updating the Stratus available from Appareo in Apple's App Store.

I played with that app a while ago. It might be useful if you had a Stratus, but didn't have Foreflight. I don't recall it having any additional information or control in it.

It appears that Appareo has two apps that they offer.

One is called StratusUpdater, which allows you to update the Stratus firmware.

The other is called Stratus Horizons. Which displays the AHRS data.

Updated to what it said was Stratus Firmware 1.6 but after updating it says firmware version is 2.0 and there are no further updates.

Also updated to Wi-Fi version 2.3.5 but the version now reads 2.5.1 after update. No further updates for this either.

Foreflight doesn't really let you know in an overt way that there are updates available for Stratus. You just have to connect your Stratus and go into More... Devices and click on it to check for updates.

Letcha know how it goes - I have a long XC on Sunday 11/22.

Here is what I received back from Appareo support. I suggested that they post this info somewhere on their website.

Here is what was included with the Firmware update to 2.0.

added AHRS Gyro Initialization Configuration Support (setting in FFM).
-> added functionality to update the Gainspan (WiFi Module's) internal FW
-> added WiFi Security Features WPA2 and Enable / Disable SSID
-> added Authentication

Updated to what it said was Stratus Firmware 1.6 but after updating it says firmware version is 2.0 and there are no further updates.

Also updated to Wi-Fi version 2.3.5 but the version now reads 2.5.1 after update. No further updates for this either.

Foreflight doesn't really let you know in an overt way that there are updates available for Stratus. You just have to connect your Stratus and go into More... Devices and click on it to check for updates.

Letcha know how it goes - I have a long XC on Sunday 11/22.

Sounds good. Have a safe flight!

Here is what I received back from Appareo support. I suggested that they post this info somewhere on their website.

-> added Authentication
Thanks for the list of updates.

-> added Authentication

That means nothing to me.... What does it do?

Ever time I update my iPad all I do is get ****ed off that Apple ****ed more of my **** up. My iPAd two runs like **** when on ios7 is was just fine. If the update does not have any functionality for me, I'm not gonna do it.

Are you actually using this cable? I can see why it could be better. I am always hesitant about 3rd party cables.

Not this exact one, but a Samsung cable I bought off Amazon. The important part is the USB 3.0 connector. It engages much better than the standard mini USB.

My Stratus says I am on version 1.0 and when I follow the procedure for updates it doesn't give me a thing. Just sent a screenshot to appaero with the question as to what is going on.

Stratus 2S

What about FlyQ, did they block it from working with Stratus ?

My Stratus says I am on version 1.0 and when I follow the procedure for updates it doesn't give me a thing. Just sent a screenshot to appaero with the question as to what is going on.

Stratus 2S

Same with my Stratus 2S. Perhaps the update is only for older models?

What about FlyQ, did they block it from working with Stratus ?
I was wondering exactly the same thing.

I did the update yesterday and it looks like there are two Stratus updates; one of the firmware and one of the WiFi set-up to take care of the Internet security raised last year by allowing the hiding of the SSID and/or adding a WPA password. The latter was probably the primary reason for the former.

Whether it also modified the stream to keep out other apps I don't know.

Stratus2S update reply

Received this in just a few hours

Thank you for contacting Appareo regarding your Stratus 2S. The firmware on your device is current at 1.0. We are working on a firmware update but have not released it yet. There is a firmware update to 2.0 for the Stratus II (previous model). Therefore, you are good to go unless you are having some issues and if so, please advise.

Kal
Stratus Support

When I follow the instructions (S connected to FF, More/Devices/Stratus2)
On Firmware, it says 1.5 with no option to update, after 15 minutes of connection.

Foreflight 6.3.2 on Ipad2
Stratus PRX V2

When I follow the instructions (S connected to FF, More/Devices/Stratus2)
On Firmware, it says 1.5 with no option to update, after 15 minutes of connection.

Foreflight 6.3.2 on Ipad2
Stratus PRX V2

Either update Foreflight or use the Stratus updater...

I just updated my Stratus 2 with no issues. ForeFlight is also the latest version.

Glad to see they added a WiFi password option on this update. I was hoping they would!!

Back