Stratus 3....can it be covered with paper or microcloth?

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Hi am in Socal and I'm getting over heating alerts from the Stratus 3 while it is on the dash. Anyone tried covering it with a thin microcloth or a plain sheet of paper folded to cover the stratus without losing noticeable reception?

I am getting an external antenna for my Stratus 3 but it just occurred to me ask if covering the stratus with paper or microcloth can impact the performance. Thanx in advance.

I cover with a white towel on my dash, central florida. No reception issues in my experience.

I use the suction cup RAM mount, and put it in the left back window. No sun on it, and it saves me front window space this way.

I've never had any reception issues BTW - what leads you to want an extended antenna? Just to get it out of the sun/off your dash?

I put mine on top of my avionics shelf. So it was under a few layers of fiberglass, foam and a windshield. Never had a problem with GPS or ADS-B reception. I build an external antenna for ADS-B though. Really improved the reception.

I put it on the glare shield and point the overhead vent on it ,also cover it with an old chart.

Paper or a cloth would be no problem at all for receiving GPS and ADSB. Plastic is okay too -- my Stratus 2s works fine through two solid layers: a plastic arm rest and the fiberglass of the airframe. (With a fiberglass plane, it's not necessary to locate it near a window, which solves the overheating problems.)

Back