stratus 1 or 2?

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
In the market for a stratus. Im IFR and considering the 1 for the cost savings as id really like the weather. Has anybody got the 1 and wished they got the 2 or vise versa? I know its my choice but im stuck on the fence at the moment. Ill likely go with the 1 but was wondering the actual functionality of the AHRS and dual band ADS-B...basically is it worth the extra 400 bucks?

If you are going IFR, the II is a no brainer. You have the option of having an independent back up in case your entire panel goes south. You could bring it in on the AHRS alone down to mins in an emergency.

I was told by my flight instructor that he did an IPC with a guy that had a Stratus 2, and the AHRS kinda sucked. The AHRS is very sensitive and if you don't have the unit correctly positioned in the aircraft it can make it look like you're in a 90' turn, inverted, or all around screwed up. I just purchased a Stratus 1 for that reason... The AHRS is a cool feature, but the calibration is supposedly a challenge. Otherwise, the ADS-B features are super cool.

-Andrew

I have the Stratus 1. Have no intention of upgrading to the II anytime soon. It works very well.

If you own your plane and have a great way to mount the ipad or iphone and the stratus II so you can reliably use the AHRS, it might be worth it. I'm always flying different planes and don't really trust the suction cups to hold all that stuff in place, as a reliable emergency backup. I just hop in and throw the Stratus up on the Glareshield. Ipad goes on my lap, sometimes I yoke mount depending on what i'm flying.

I recommend the Stratus 2 for several reasons in addition to the AHRS. Particularly for aircraft that have a 1090ES or plan to install one, without the dual frequency receiver, one can't detect own ship from the ADS-B Out broadcast as it is only available on 1090 MHz.

A second related reason is that it will receive both frequencies when you are not line of sight to a GBT (Ground Station).

The Stratus 1 color is black and it is more sensitive to heat as the black color absorbs heat and does not reflect sun light. The Stratus 2 is white and even works on my hot glareshield. This is a big improvement over the Stratus 1 in this regard. It also has a built in fan to keep it cooler.

I was told by my flight instructor that he did an IPC with a guy that had a Stratus 2, and the AHRS kinda sucked. The AHRS is very sensitive and if you don't have the unit correctly positioned in the aircraft it can make it look like you're in a 90' turn, inverted, or all around screwed up. I just purchased a Stratus 1 for that reason... The AHRS is a cool feature, but the calibration is supposedly a challenge. Otherwise, the ADS-B features are super cool.

-Andrew

It takes all of a few seconds to calibrate the Stratus 2 to its orientation in the aircraft. :confused:

If you are going IFR, the II is a no brainer. You have the option of having an independent back up in case your entire panel goes south. You could bring it in on the AHRS alone down to mins in an emergency.

:yes:

that's my thinking. I like the redundancy of the AHRS just in case.

I'm another Stratus I user with no perceived need to upgrade. Yeah AHRS is a nice addition but it can wait until next time I'm in the market.

Mine works flawless and orientation is spot on. It's on my dash centered.

A friend with the II raves about it, and loves the functionality of AHRS. Two people I know with the I ditched it due to overheating problems. They were flying 172s and PA28s; the only place that got good reception reliably was on the dash and the box apparently could not handle that in the summer.

That said, I currently have neither but am considering going for the II or another manufacture's equivalent.

there is a $400 difference between the 1 and the 2. That ain't hay as they say.

If you don't have ADS-B out, in my experience, ADS-B traffic is virtually useless. I think *maybe* 1 in 20 traffic callouts from ATC has shown up on my ADS-B traffic.

If the poop really hit the fan that hard that all you have is the AHRS? Pretty unlikely, but I would truly hate to rely on that AHRS for anything. GPS track would be better for bank and WAAS GPS altitude is only OK if you can tolerate +/- 500 ft.

But if you plan on getting ADS-B out [East German Stasi voice] und you VILL get zees by tventy tventy muzzaf***as[/Stasi] then just get the 2. :D

I have the 2 because I intend to get ADS-B out in the next couple years.

Last edited:
True...you won't see traffic unless you are in someone's ADSB shadow. And about the over heating issue, on the dash, I never had any issues in AR Sun. I over heated before the Stratus did. The Stratus 1 with the black case has those issues. The 2 has an internal fan.

If you don't want the AHRS, simple.....buy the 1. If you don't have any backups for you six pack, it is the absolute dirt cheap way to prepare for the day that will never come....hopefully.

Thanks for the replies all! Im still on the fence but ill give myself a few more days to figure what I want. I can see both side of the argument and actually I may just go big and get the 2. We will see!

-Andrew

I've been pretty impressed with it the few times I've flown with it. It was quite stable.

I have the 2. Never use the AHRS. 7+ hrs of flying time on a full charge. I see mostly airliners at 39,000' and very few small guys. It is just cheaper weather for me vs XM. Never a glitch.

I don't use the AHRS on mine in most planes. Unless you're physically mounting the Stratus in a fixed position then it's just too easy for it to change position and be way off.

That said, on my Flybaby, I do always use it. The Stratus is mounted in a fixed position to where there is no way it could move. I've referred to the AHRS on it during more than one night departure at rural airports where there is no light and it's just a black hole departure. Of course I'm also referring to my pitot/static instruments and my turn and bank. It's comforting to have in my back pocket if I ever did get myself trapped into IMC. It'd be quite easy to fly an approach down to 400 ft or so using Foreflight if the **** really hit the fan.

I have the two ,loaned it to a couple of other pilots to try,they purchased the 2 ,never had a problem with the ahars if placed properly.

I always fly with my AHRS up..... When my 430 says Fly heading xxx, the compass is a good start, but the AHRS I can dial in the exact heading and trim up for that. Then let everything settle down and set the AP heading bug and reach down between my legs and..........ease the seat back........

True...you won't see traffic unless you are in someone's ADSB shadow. And about the over heating issue, on the dash, I never had any issues in AR Sun. I over heated before the Stratus did. The Stratus 1 with the black case has those issues. The 2 has an internal fan.

If you don't want the AHRS, simple.....buy the 1. If you don't have any backups for you six pack, it is the absolute dirt cheap way to prepare for the day that will never come....hopefully.

One solution for the Stratus II and overheat is to obtain the remote antenna ($60), mount it in a convenient window, and then put the Stratus unit in a good spot out of direct sunlight.

An additional benefit to employing the antenna is that you often pick up more ADS-B towers than without it. Especially in the hinterlands where coverage is a bit more sparse.

I have flown with the 1 - in another person's airplane - and noticed that the depiction of the weather radar returns is somewhat pixelated and not particularly well defined. (especially as compared to the depiction of the weather radar returns on my Sirius XM.) Do the weather radar returns on the Stratus 2 have a better/more defined/less pixelated "look" than on the Stratus 1?

I have flown with the 1 - in another person's airplane - and noticed that the depiction of the weather radar returns is somewhat pixelated and not particularly well defined. (especially as compared to the depiction of the weather radar returns on my Sirius XM.) Do the weather radar returns on the Stratus 2 have a better/more defined/less pixelated "look" than on the Stratus 1?

someone may correct me, but I think it's the nature of information given by the ADSB and not necessarily a limitation from stratus or foreflight.

The resolution isn't as high as XM.

If you're looking at radar outside of 100nm (IIRC) from your position, the resolution is poor. Inside of 100nm it's better but not XM fidelity.

Considering both ADS-B and XM weather shouldn't be used for storm penetration, ADS-B weather suits me fine considering the price.

someone may correct me, but I think it's the nature of information given by the ADSB and not necessarily a limitation from stratus or foreflight.

Bingo. It's going to look pixelated with Stratus 1 or 2 or GDL39 or SkyRadar or any of the other boxes, and it's going to look pixelated with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot or any app because it's simply a low-resolution feed, especially at greater distances from your location.

Bingo. It's going to look pixelated with Stratus 1 or 2 or GDL39 or SkyRadar or any of the other boxes, and it's going to look pixelated with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot or any app because it's simply a low-resolution feed, especially at greater distances from your location.

I used XM Nexrad for many years before switching over to ADS-B. The resolution thing bothered me for all of about two flights then I forgot about it and no longer care. The difference isn't a safety difference, it's purely a visual thing, IMO.

XM uses a single service level for the entire US CONUS. They also round the edges of the pixels to make them look more appealing. The ADS-B FISB uses two products, a regional product which covers an area around the GBT location and a CONUS product which covers the entire CONUS. ADS-B FISB doesn't round the edges of the pixels, but the regional product is essentially the same dimensions as the XM product. The CONUS product covers a size equal to 5 times the dimensions of the regional product, so it appears much more blocky in appearance. There are four tiers of GBT towers that provide either the regional product or both the regional product and the CONUS product. The low tier of towers provide the regional product for a radius of 150 NM around the tower location. The medium tier provides both the regional product for a radius of 200 NM around the GBT location plus the CONUS product. The high tier provides both the regional product for a radius of 250 NM around the GBT location plus the CONUS product. There is also a fourth Surface tier that provides the regional product for 150 NM radius. Depending on which tier and which GBT are being received at any point in time, one can have a composite of regional nexrad product for larger distances. For example with a High tier 50 miles to the north and another one 75 miles to the south being received at the same time, the regional product from these two towers would stretch 300 NM to the north and 325 NM to the south. Outside of this area, the CONUS product would be displayed. Bottom line is that the near stuff will have the same resolution as XM but not have the smoothed rounded edges and the far away stuff will be blockier because it is the CONUS product.

Has anyone here tried flying on the Foreflight "instrumentation" in actual IMC?

I've certainly had it up in IMC many times but have never had equipment failures degrade to the point that my primary reference was Foreflight.

If you don't mount the Stratus in an absolutely fixed location I wouldn't count on it saving you. Can you imagine the panic you'd have if all you had left was Foreflight for attitude and the suction cup mount let lose and your Stratus slid to the back of the airplane?

In the Flybaby -- I have airspeed, altimeter, and a very old turn and bank. I of course don't fly it in IMC but I recognize the possibility that I could accidentally end up in IMC some day. I have a fixed mount the Stratus goes into on the Flybaby and the AHRS stays dead on accurate for every flight. I have no doubt if worse came to worse I could get the Flybaby down to a runway assuming the cloud deck was at least a few hundred AGL.

I flew it last night VMC. But it's not for primary flight control. If I am IMC and loose systems, I am 100% confident I could get the plane on the ground with what I have on AHRS. With the georeferenced plates, it's damn near cheating how easy it is.

But don't be fooled to think it can be used for primary flight display.

I've never used it as primary instrumentation in IMC, but I have had it visible and like another poster said, it's spot on accurate if it's solidly attached to the aircraft.

I would not hesitate to use it in the event of an attitude indicator failure. That's primarily the reason I bought it. Between the Stratus 2 AHRS and the KAP140 autopilot (which is rate-based [turn coordinator]) in my aircraft, I think the chances are much better than straight partial panel.

I've got a Stratus 1 I'll give you in exchange for a Route 44 Coke Zero from the Sonic Drive-in.

The other day the socket for the usb cable pull off the circuit board. Google tells me that this is a know issue with the Stratus 1, and Appero tells me they no longer support Stratus 1.

I agree with the poster who said the Stratus 2 is worth it if you can permanently mount the unit. I'm in a 3 plane club, and I don't trust suction cups.

So now I'm on the fence between a 1S and a Stratux.

I've certainly had it up in IMC many times but have never had equipment failures degrade to the point that my primary reference was Foreflight.

If you don't mount the Stratus in an absolutely fixed location I wouldn't count on it saving you. Can you imagine the panic you'd have if all you had left was Foreflight for attitude and the suction cup mount let lose and your Stratus slid to the back of the airplane?

In the Flybaby -- I have airspeed, altimeter, and a very old turn and bank. I of course don't fly it in IMC but I recognize the possibility that I could accidentally end up in IMC some day. I have a fixed mount the Stratus goes into on the Flybaby and the AHRS stays dead on accurate for every flight. I have no doubt if worse came to worse I could get the Flybaby down to a runway assuming the cloud deck was at least a few hundred AGL.
A nice feature would be to be able to switch off the AHRS. That still gives us the GPS-based HSI track, altitude and groundspeed data on the instruments screen, although no direct indication of pitch and bank. I used to practice partial panel flight with that as my heading reference in the olden days with my 396 handheld and I've tried it in FF with just a GPS feed.

I've got a Stratus 1 I'll give you in exchange for a Route 44 Coke Zero from the Sonic Drive-in.

The other day the socket for the usb cable pull off the circuit board. Google tells me that this is a know issue with the Stratus 1, and Appero tells me they no longer support Stratus 1.

I agree with the poster who said the Stratus 2 is worth it if you can permanently mount the unit. I'm in a 3 plane club, and I don't trust suction cups.

If you're just wanting GPS and ADS-B data, I'd build the Stratux before I bought the Stratus 1S.

If you're looking for a reliable AHRS backup, then I'd get the Stratus 2/2S. The one in the Stratux just isn't that reliable yet.

Having had both the iPad and Nexus reboot on me at inconvenient times, I am less concerned with backup ahrs from a Stratus than I am staring at a black tablet screen should poop hit the fan. If I am going to have reliable backup, it's going to go into the panel. Otherwise, I'll go needle, ball and airspeed, thanks.

If it's that quick to "no support", there's no reason to avoid open-source.

In the market for a stratus. Im IFR and considering the 1 for the cost savings as id really like the weather. Has anybody got the 1 and wished they got the 2 or vise versa? I know its my choice but im stuck on the fence at the moment. Ill likely go with the 1 but was wondering the actual functionality of the AHRS and dual band ADS-B...basically is it worth the extra 400 bucks?

Stratux. $110. Then if you decide you don't like ForeFlight, it works with other apps as well.

Back