Strange (to me) FAR regarding TS

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Part 135.293 lists initial and recurrent pilot testing requirements. Part of this is an oral or written test covering a bunch of stuff. One of them (a)(7)(iii) is "Operating in or near thunderstorms (including best penetrating altitudes)...)

Does this imply that there is some good place to penetrate a thunderstorm:yikes:? It is kind of scary that the FAA would even use this language. How would one taking such a test answer the question?

There can be a "best" place to penetrate a thunderstorm without there being a "good" place. While paying passengers to have a pilot who knows how to avoid worst case situations, they also deserve to have a pilot who knows how to handle those worst case situations if everything does go wrong.

So if an aspiring 135 pilot were to get that question, the answer is to head for the lightning? Yikes, I guess some stuff you don't learn in kindergarten.

In 5 or more years, there will be technology available to identify what parts of a thunderstorm are turbulent and what part is not.

and Cirrus will be the first to have it :rolleyes: . I can imagine the advertisements already.

Seems like I remember the "answer" as having something to do with a certain temperature level...just above the freezing level or something? IIRC, there's an advisory circular that discusses it.

But it's kinda like whether you pick the big boll weevil or the small boll weevil in your crops...you pick the lesser of the two weevils. :rofl:

Sorry... :redface:

Back