Strange Gadget on Car

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I recently bought a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder used from a dealer. Never got to talk to the prior owner.

I discovered today, a little device that plugs into a socket just under the steering column. (Bad pic included) 6 wires go out from the socket, two go up to the ignition module, and I didn't have time to trace the rest.

There is a button on the little remote thingy, and when you push it with the device unplugged, the LED lights up dimly. I have not tried pushing the button with it plugged into the socket. I will be trying this later of course.

I'm thinking its a remote-start device or possibly a security device of some kind. There is no brand name or anything else identifiable on the unit. Just the numbers 6237.

Anybody seen one of these before?

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
Insurance logger?

Plug this in, we'll monitor your habits, and then charge you accordingly.

Put there to track the drivers method of driving, the insurance companys are giving them out to see if you qualify for a discount

Put there to track the drivers method of driving, the insurance companys are giving them out to see if you qualify for a discount

Interesting. It looks like a fair amount of work to install all the wiring. Probably took 1-2 hours. Which insurance companies would look at something like this?

I had a friend who is a used car dealer tell me that it might be an ignition immobilizer. Take it out of the car, and it won't start.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is plugged into the OBDS connector. That is a standard feature for an external diagnostic tool. The only thing special is the device plugged into it.

What does the button do? How does the car perform with it removed?

Sounds like it is plugged into the OBDS connector. That is a standard feature for an external diagnostic tool. The only thing special is the device plugged into it.

What does the button do? How does the car perform with it removed?

Its not plugged into the OBDII. You can see next to it, the white thing is the OBD

I pulled it out with the car running and it continued to run just fine. I have not pushed the button with it connected, but if you push the button the little LED dimly lights up.

Interesting. It looks like a fair amount of work to install all the wiring. Probably took 1-2 hours. Which insurance companies would look at something like this?

I had a friend who is a used car dealer tell me that it might be an ignition immobilizer. Take it out of the car, and it won't start.

Ummm... wouldn't that be called "the key"

Progressive adverises that they have those although I thought theirs went in the cig lighter plug. Did you buy from a lot that sells to people with bad credit? Could be a repo finder device.

Progressive adverises that they have those although I thought theirs went in the cig lighter plug. Did you buy from a lot that sells to people with bad credit? Could be a repo finder device.

Nope the car was bought new by the previous owner and traded in for a brand new Chevy. Bought it from the Chevy dealer.

Can you start or drive it without it in? There are some anti theft devices that have an electronic interlock key. With the one you are showing, it looks like it could be placed on a key chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you don't let them put it in - what do you have to hide? Here's your bill for not letting us put it in. You know that's coming.

Can you start or drive it without it in? There are some anti theft devices that have an electronic interlock key. With the one you are showing, it looks like it could be placed on a key chain.
It's the "Locktronics" device. I had one of those and never bothered to disable it over the years I had it. Of course it's trivial to bypass with just your pocket knife. However, my car was a manual, so you didn't even need that: just turn the ignition on and have someone give it a push. It just a stupid thing dealers put in to control inventory on their lots.

When I worked at a Mitsubishi dealer the used car mechanics installed them on all used cars. The dealer paid next to nothing for them and the sales department sold them as a anti theft device for a small price of 159.99.

why? where did the guy live that he needed another key to start the car? Tough neighborhood I guess.

New car dealer put it in all their cars, $10 in parts, $20 in labor, then try to charge $250 for it. I said no and they just stuffed a circuit board into the slot and I saved the money.

Back