Stormscope dim

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Stephen Shore, Aug 12, 2018 at 2:04 PM.

1. Stephen Shore

Stephen Shore Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    sshore
    My new to me airplane has a BFGoodrich WX-900 Stormscope. It seems to work well.

One problem - I have it adjusted to 100% brightness and it is still not bright enough to read without shining a light directly on the screen.

Is there something that can be replaced or serviced that will get this thing bright enough for functional use?

2. Unit74

Unit74 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    Sure the cabin light rheostat isn't on? Other than that, kain't help ya......

3. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    Bad backlight? Bad light sensor?

4. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    There is a screen brightness on a WX900, if that didn't solve your problem, you have a bad display which is impossible to find and repair cost is staggering. A used unit is your best solution.

I have a unit in my garage that did the same thing as yours if you want some photos of the interior.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 8:26 PM
  5. Stephen Shore

Stephen Shore Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    sshore
    Obviously with the advent of tablet weather this piece of equipment is somewhat obsolete. I just hate having something in my panel that does not work.

But definitely not worth spending alot of money on to repair.

6. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    Well, sort of. Stormscope/Strikefinder is real time. Tablet weather will always have a lag, sometimes short, sometimes long. I think that they complement each other rather than obsoleting. Tablet weather is also rather coarse; SS/SF can resolve more close-in detail.

Jim

7. Unit74

Unit74 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    I use mine all the time...... not obsolete at all. In the south, they are invaluable if you do not have on board radar.

8. MajorTurbulence

MajorTurbulence Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MajorTurbulence
    Agreed. Just as useful in the northeast. Without on board radar, the synergy of Nexrad and stormscope is great. Of those who have been flying with a stormscope for years alone versus Nexrad alone, how many would place a stormscope higher up in order helpfulness? The stormscope helped me loads before the advent of Nexrad ubiquity.