Stopped in my tracks... great memories rekindled

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by David235, Aug 2, 2020 at 9:15 AM.

1. David235

David235 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    David235
    Yesterday I was stopping by my hangar to get a compressor that I store out there... and as I am driving up I saw her... one of the two Cherokee 140s that I did all of my primary training in... N75186.

I first flew her on December 11th, 1977, and flew her many more times over the next four years. Between this aircraft and her near-twin sister, N75248, I worked my way from my first flight to my commercial license several years later. I did my commercial long cross country in N75186... I still remember that day, flying the entire perimeter of Lake Michigan.

All in all a great day. The current owner just redid the panel, upgrading it nicely. I hope that she will be flying for many years to come.

N75186-1.jpg N75186-2.jpg.jpeg

GRG55, Skywalker, Lndwarrior and 4 others like this.
  2. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Cool!

every once in a while I run across an airplane I flew significantly...most of them don’t look like they used to.

David235 likes this.
  3. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    In '77, she was only a year old.

David235 likes this.
  4. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    The plane I took my private test in is still flying locally. It was recently sold to a private party from the guy that had the small flight school. It looks better now at least on the outside than it did when I was flying it. The plane in my Avatar is the plane I started lessons in and soloed in. It apparently got bent by a student at some point.

David235 likes this.
  5. David235

David235 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    David235
    Yep. A little bit if Michigan State University trivia... at the time the University flying club... the Winged Spartans... was very active. They bought N75186 and N75248 new. Not many (or any) clubs could afford to do that today. These two aircraft were used to train many pilots during their time with the club.

6. geezer

geezer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kruse'n
    The first 3 planes I flew were Piper J3C65's. They all three seem to have been manufactured in 1946, making them 74 years old.

The first one, 98806, was still at the same airport, Augusta, Daniel Field, in 2001 when I made a refueling stop there during the Masters Tournament. It is now in Overland Park, Kansas.

The second, 98168, has been de registered by a crop dusting company.

The third, 70485, is now in Fayetteville, Georgia.

I have always been glad that my training started out in those very simple planes, learning only the basics, then adding more complexity after understanding exactly what an airplane can and can not do, un distracted.

David235 likes this.
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywalker
    Nice... I was still VERY young in 1977 :sosp: - but at least I was already born. :D

David235 likes this.