Stones hitting the leading edge on left side

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Argg, the paint job was so crisp and clean. Now a good 100+ hours later, the stones have been leaving their mark on the leading edge of the wing and elevator.

We have abrasion tape on the leading edge of our horizontal stabilizer. At least on the 182 I know it's a legal application, because it was a factory option. It might be legal to apply thin abrasion tape (basically a clear vinyl) to the the wing LE, but I'm not sure.

It is likely at least partially caused by your operational practices and where you're flying out of. Is there a lot of loose sand or gravel where you're doing your runup? Leaving the engine running at higher rpm on the ground for longer periods of time? Doing short field style takeoffs? Maybe you can change some things and minimize the damage. I've flown almost exclusively from dirt, grass, and gravel for a while now and haven't had anywhere near the erosion problems I've seen on some airplanes that never leave a hard surface.

I'd tread lightly on applying an abrasion resistant tape until you consult your mechanic.

Stone damage on the wing LE? That's hard to imagine. Did you mean the horizontal stabilizer? The best stabilizer LE boots are the ones made for 206s. They have a thickened leading edge. Not cheap, though.

It is likely at least partially caused by your operational practices and where you're flying out of. Is there a lot of loose sand or gravel where you're doing your runup? Leaving the engine running at higher rpm on the ground for longer periods of time? Doing short field style takeoffs? Maybe you can change some things and minimize the damage.
It is entirely caused by that. If the leading edges of the wings and horizontal stab have sustained that much damage, the prop must be full of dings too.

If the leading edges of the wings and horizontal stab have sustained that much damage, the prop must be full of dings too.
And that is dangerous. Dings are stress risers, where cracks can eventually form, and if the prop develops a crack there's the possibility of losing part of a blade. The imbalance can tear the engine off the airplane, and the massive CG shift means you can't even glide.

It's rare that someone loses a chunk of blade, but I did see a prop at a prop shop that had. A cropsprayer prop. Lost maybe a foot of blade. The pilot kept flying back to his base but the vibration must have been monstrous. Probably loosened every rivet in the airplane and destroyed all the instruments. Luckily the engine mount held. I'd have planted it on a road or field ASAP.

Last edited:
Paint jobs on airplanes just don't last without lots of effort in damage prevention and touchup.

Flown through any rain? It can do a nice job of chipping paint, and you see it more on the left side.

And that is dangerous. Dings are stress risers, where cracks can eventually form, and if the prop develops a crack there's the possibility of losing part of a blade. The imbalance can tear the engine off the airplane, and the massive CG shift means you can't even glide.

It's rare that someone loses a chunk of blade, but I did see a prop at a prop shop that had. A cropsprayer prop. Lost maybe a foot of blade. The pilot kept flying back to his base but the vibration must have been monstrous. Probably loosened every rivet in the airplane and destroyed all the instruments. Luckily the engine mount held. I'd have planted it on a road or field ASAP.

Probably loosened his fillings as well! LOL

Flown through any rain? It can do a nice job of chipping paint, and you see it more on the left side.
Please explain why you’d see rain damage more on the left side. I’m genuinely puzzled.

Please explain why you’d see rain damage more on the left side. I’m genuinely puzzled.
I am puzzled as well, just had the same pattern, more damage on the left. Guessing something to do with prop wash, but no way to explain.

It is likely at least partially caused by your operational practices and where you're flying out of. Is there a lot of loose sand or gravel where you're doing your runup? Leaving the engine running at higher rpm on the ground for longer periods of time? Doing short field style takeoffs? Maybe you can change some things and minimize the damage. I've flown almost exclusively from dirt, grass, and gravel for a while now and haven't had anywhere near the erosion problems I've seen on some airplanes that never leave a hard surface.

I'd tread lightly on applying an abrasion resistant tape until you consult your mechanic.

The left horizontal stabilizer has a number of paint chips, not dents but small areas where the paint got nicked by something, and not it seems like it’s everywhere, and I’m starting to notice small nicks in other places as well. I mean the paint job was probably a 10 when I got it and it’s probably knocked down to a 8.5-9, disheartened to see this . I’ve only flown on paved surfaces and to FBOs usually, at many different airports. The left LE of the wing is starting to get some nicks too. I clean the LE & horizontal stabilizer after each flight so I have a pretty good idea of the changes over time. I do check my prop for scratches and dings, it did have a couple small sharp spots that I had smoothed out and I keep a better eye on it now.

It could also just be a crappy job on the last painting. Incorrect prep.

I keep a bottle of this stuff:
Screenshot_20220720-000158_Chrome~2.jpg

It's perfect for those little rock chips. If all that damage was done in 100 hours though... that seems like a lot.

Back