Still can't chew

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So, I thought, being that it was only about 2 months that I was wired shut, I'd be ok to chew. My teeth are free.....but now I have to do exersizes to regain the use of my jaw :(

No KFC tonight, which was my plan. I can open my mouth a slight bit, but not very far....hard to believe its healthy to have my muscles just stop working around my mouth...

Few more weeks I guess....KFC sounds so good right now :(

In other news, no update on my niece yet. Still waiting...

Not using muscle for a even a few days really weakens them. Considering the trauma to your jaw and how long it has been mobilized I am not surprised you cannot chew real well yet.

Hang in there. Each day you get a little better.

BTW KFC sounds good, maybe I will stop by and pick me up a meal.

Other than having to do jaw exercises how do you feel?

My 1st meal after having my tonsils out was KFC. I opted for the Extra Tastey Crispy meal. It hurt like hell going down and took me an hour to eat but man was it good.

Other than having to do jaw exercises how do you feel?

My 1st meal after having my tonsils out was KFC. I opted for the Extra Tastey Crispy meal. It hurt like hell going down and took me an hour to eat but man was it good.
When I had my dental work two weeks ago I too opted for KFC. Something about that chicken tastes good when you are getting over some sort of mouth or throat trauma.

I had a white meal dinner plate, breast, coleslaw and mashed potatoes. Good Stuff!

Last edited:
I'm gonna make a smoked turkey wrap for my lunch here in a bit. I can't imagine not being able to bite into it.

Hang in there, Nick. You'll be exercising those jaw muscles by traditional means in no time.

Nick,

2 months of maxillomandibular fixation is a little longer than is usually necessary; but stick to the exercises and normal opening should return. If the fracture/s of the mandible were in or near the condylar head, you may find some permanent loss of range-of-motion.

Scott

Nick, just grab your lower jaw with your hand and raise/lower as needed. Where there's a will, there's a way!!

Ah, kidding aside, sorry to hear that. I hope the rehab progresses quickly!

So, I thought, being that it was only about 2 months that I was wired shut, I'd be ok to chew. My teeth are free.....but now I have to do exersizes to regain the use of my jaw :(

No KFC tonight, which was my plan. I can open my mouth a slight bit, but not very far....hard to believe its healthy to have my muscles just stop working around my mouth...

My buddy had his jaw wired shut years ago. He had a battery powered blender and we'd go into McDs, KFC, BK... he'd toss in a burger, fries and a shake, blend, suck up into a syringe and shoot it into his mouth. People used to see that and set down their food and leave, it was comedy.

I tried KFC once. Did not blend very well...too much ligament that wouldn't grind and got stuck in my teeth and almost gagged me.

Sigh.

How about sushi?

Funny funny man.

I went for sushi a few days after being given to go-ahead to eat following jaw surgery... could barely get the piece of nigiri into my mouth (and I mean barely), then (per the laws of geometry) found myself unable to chew it. I thought I was going to die right there at the sushi bar - either from choking or embarrassment. Bad scene; bad bad scene...

Hang in there Nick - it does get better.

Last edited:
Yikes -- as a fellow "wired shut" sufferer (fell through a doorway while playing basketball and broke my jaw right at the hinge), I "feel your pain."

Applesauce and Milkshakes had no more attraction for a very long time.

:(:(

You guys are having too much fun busting Nick's chops. But I'm having too much fun reading it. At least my surgery didn't leave me with any difficulties eating. :D

Hang in there, Nick. You'll recover. Sooner, rather than later. It just doesn't seem like it while you're going through it.

Nick,

2 months of maxillomandibular fixation is a little longer than is usually necessary; but stick to the exercises and normal opening should return. If the fracture/s of the mandible were in or near the condylar head, you may find some permanent loss of range-of-motion.

Scott

I actually counted today, and it was almost exactly 6 weeks. I have no idea what the condylar head is, but my doctor did say it would be 100% up to me how well I recovered, and whether or not I was willing to work at it.

I hope that's a good sign!

btw, rip away, guys, I figured I earned any embarrassment that comes with this. Car beats drunk skull every time. lol

btw, rip away, guys, I figured I earned any embarrassment that comes with this. Car beats drunk skull every time. lol

Nah, your present condition was still ultimately caused by a noble deed. I shant rip at you.

Nor shall I eat KFC. Blegh, I don't even like the stuff!

Hope you recover soon, and return to full functionality! :yes:

Shortly after reading this, I phoned my aunt to let her know we would be stopping at her tiny apartment on the way to Oshkosh. Within 3 hours she called back to say that she had invited 10 relatives to her place for dinner with us and would order KFC. So we'll be in Aurora at 3:00 Sunday thinking of you.

Most assuredly you do not deserve to be ripped on for your injuries. That is why we are having a little about your healing process instead. Jsut trying to make a little fun over a really sad situation. Some of us still have control over our jaw muscle so we can smile, I suppose you will in a week or two as well. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back