Stiff Controls

Heftiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Heftiger
Flying the PA32 back from the beach last week; everything was looking good (at FL130).
Autopilot engaged and I'm noticing the yoke is turning more and more to the left to compensate for fuel burn. I disengage the autopilot just to do a check and the roll axis is STIFF.
I look back and notice that the kids have shifted around making the weight imbalance even worse, so I have them move back. It fixes the imbalance, but the controls are still stiff.
My first thought was the autopilot, so I ensured it was off. Also tried using the yoke disconnect, then eventually pulled the breaker. Still stiff.
Eventually fuel burn evened out the load and the yoke was level, but controls still stiff.
As we go closer to the destination and started descending, I noticed the controls seemed to be getting lighter. After landing I did a controls check on the taxiway and everything was normal.

Thoughts on what was going on here?
We were at the beach and it was pretty wet all weekend. I'm wondering if there was some condensation somewhere in the control linkage that froze when we got to altitude.

Any other suggestions?

Autopilot “gets a hold” of the cables etc, even though it’s shut off. I notice very light controls prior to enabling the AP, then slightly stiffer after shutting it off. Nothing major though. Just my $.02.

Sounds to me like a servo and it's clutch acting up. Was it one axis or all of them feeling stiffer?

What autopilot is it?

If it isn't autopilot related you should be able to fly in cold weather without using the autopilot and have the same thing happen, then I'd start looking at cable pulleys and other things.

Last edited:
It's the Altimatic IIIC.
Just roll axis as far as I could tell.

Just a side note: it's pretty easy to hear and feel the servo clutch release on the IIIC - checking function and release is a normal preflight item that I suspect many of us skip

Back