Stick it to Daley AND have some fun

I thought that, because I grew up a Reds fan in Cincinnati/Dayton and came of age in the shadow of the Big Red Machine that I was the only one who felt this way.

Seems to me a professional player/coach/manager makes this bet EVERY SINGLE DAY -- just not with a bookie. And I strongly resented, for example, the chance after chance Darryl Strawberry got.

As a little league coach, I'll take a kid with Pete Rose's attitude every time over someone like, say Gary Sheffield. Give me a kid who loves to play, tries hard, and makes the best of his/her natural ability over a talented head case any day of the week.

Absolutely. My Dad grew up in Cincinnati too, and he tried to make me a Reds fan. So that may color my opinion a bit, but you can't argue with Rose's numbers, attitude, and gutsy hustle. He played as hard as he could every day he could, and it's a shame -- a travesty -- that those things are ignored by so many.

(BTW, the Reds indoctrination experiment lasted until my Dad took me for the first time to a Cubs-Reds game at Wrigley. I can clearly remember Dunston, Dawson, Sandberg and Grace, but I don't think I could tell you the name of one Red at the time -- except maybe Barry Larkin. Plus watching the Cubs and listening to Harry and Steve on WGN every afternoon in the summer probably had a lot to do with it too. :D)

Never knew you grew up in Cincy/Dayton, Ken? Where?

I have some good friends that grew up in Kettering, the stepchild to Oakwood (Dayton area). And I lived in Clifton (near UC) in Cincy for a few years.... learned to fly at Blue Ash.

I taunt one of them about Petey. Their comment: "Pete Rose was a moron and a criminal".

Never knew you grew up in Cincy/Dayton, Ken? Where?
We lived in Oakwood when I was born, then moved to Vandalia, and then to Madeira when I was 12. Went to Moeller my freshman year of HS, when Fuzzy was still there. I saw Ted Klezewski hit a home run at Crosley Field that was still going up when it hit the clock in center field. Ah, the memories of youth.

There probably aren't any Ibold Cigar billboards anymore. That was my grandfather's two brothers.

I've got 20 tickets for the April 13 game. The Cubs will be hosting Cincinatti. Go Cubs!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back