Steps to buy out of state plane

Selecting an A&P is more about the A&P's reputation than who's aircraft they've worked on.

I know several A&P/FBOs who would be able to show you all the work orders for the past several years/decades for the aircraft you are buying. when the guy who you select wouldn't have a clew.

Yep, and they may even provide you full disclosure on what they know the short comings are from the prior relationship with the plane. There are lots of times shops suggest work to owners to ake care of little things before they turn into big things. They cannot demand they be dealt with yet as there is no overt problem, but it's coming. Some owners decline.

Not everyone is a dishonest scammer, not even close really. The problem is they do exist with a great enough frequency it is a valid concern.

The most efficient and effective way if you know the IA you are going to use going forward is to just hire them and pay their expenses to go down and do your prepurchase inspection and have him cover the annual points in the process so if you go through with it, he can sign it off as a fresh annual at your purchase.
will you pay to take all his reference materials, tool box other wise they will be limited to a walk around.

will you pay to take all his reference materials, tool box other wise they will be limited to a walk around.

He should have all his reference material on his laptop and basic tools in his luggage. Anything else comes from the shop you contract for the facilities with. I have never had a problem sending a mechanic anywhere or being sent anywhere as a mechanic. Am I going to end up paying both my mechanic and the shop at the end? Yes I am.

If I was buying a plane that was outside my scope of knowledge like a King Air or TBM... this is the process I would use.

Is it one of the CHP turbo 182RG's they sell?

They've been for sale for a long while. Plus i'm they got rode hard and put away wet for a turbo airplane - take a good hard long look at it. . . .

Well the prior owner said it's fine. So it must be fine.

I bet the seller's broker gave it his personal seal of approval too.

Back