Steps to buy out of state plane

jhoyt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Found great looking 182 w engine and avionics exactly what I'm looking for. Problem is plane in CA and I'm in WA. What are steps to follow? I'd like to get prepurchase inspection--

1-Should I take local guy down, or get a guy where plane located?

2-Is it customary to send deposit once offer accepted (contingent on any repairs, ADs, etc) prior to seeing in person? Any issues w that?

3- for those who have bought CA and taken out of state, will I be stuck w CA tax......?

4-will get tail number CD from FAA to check prior hx.

I'd like to jump on this ASAP while available, just wondered if there are ways to hold the planar while working things up. Thanks.
Jim

The most efficient and effective way if you know the IA you are going to use going forward is to just hire them and pay their expenses to go down and do your prepurchase inspection and have him cover the annual points in the process so if you go through with it, he can sign it off as a fresh annual at your purchase.

Yep

Done it twice now

Send your APIA or find one near the plane, but thing is finding one that knows the airframe.

Have the seller scan and send ALL logs.

As you stated, get the FAA CD, be sure to address any liens before sending any money.

Google "AOPA sales agreement" modify as needed, have both parties sign before sending ANY money.

Be sure to actually be there for the prebuy

I have used a shop in the local area,but not the shop that serviced the airplane.had my mechanic call the shop and review what we wanted on the pre buy. Make the purchase subject to test flight.if worried use an escrow company. Good luck ,when I did it everything was good.

Escrow companies are a really goo way to keep everyone honest.

Depends on how much you trust your own ability to verify the work of a local mechanic who may be in the seller's pocket.

2-Is it customary to send deposit once offer accepted (contingent on any repairs, ADs, etc) prior to seeing in person? Any issues w that?
Not a problem as long as a properly written sales contract is part of the deal. For more on that, start here, and then sit down with a competent attorney to tailor it to your specific situation and needs and the laws in the state where the transfer takes place.

Escrow companies are a really goo way to keep everyone honest.
All the escrow company does is make sure the money and airplane are really there and available to transfer possession at the time of sale. They don't help the buyer with the condition of the plane, only that the seller is able to sign it over for the buyer to take possession unencumbered.

Found great looking 182 w engine and avionics exactly what I'm looking for. Problem is plane in CA and I'm in WA. What are steps to follow? I'd like to get prepurchase inspection--

That's the best idea if you already know one who knows the 182 well. If not, phone other FBO's and ask for recommendations. NEVER rely on the seller's mechanic.

All the escrow company does is make sure the money and airplane are really there and available to transfer possession at the time of sale. They don't help the buyer with the condition of the plane, only that the seller is able to sign it over for the buyer to take possession unencumbered.

It makes the money secured through the transaction in neutral hands. It certainly absolves no one of due dilagence.

A friend of mine bought a 172. He and the owner agreed that the owner would fly it to Memphis from Baltimore (I think it was), and if everything was as represented, my friend would write a check and buy the owner a commercial ticket back home. My friend has owned the airplane for over two years now and loves it. Whoever owns the 182 might be willing to bring the airplane to you and your mechanic if you are really serious.

3- for those who have bought CA and taken out of state, will I be stuck w CA tax......?

4-will get tail number CD from FAA to check prior hx.

I'd like to jump on this ASAP while available, just wondered if there are ways to hold the planar while working things up. Thanks.
Jim

Can I help?

the Ca. tax does not apply to us. our's does.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you trust your own ability to verify the work of a local mechanic who may be in the seller's pocket.

Not a problem as long as a properly written sales contract is part of the deal. For more on that, start here, and then sit down with a competent attorney to tailor it to your specific situation and needs and the laws in the state where the transfer takes place.

You are going to recommend a "competent attorney " for a simple aircraft purchase?

What a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found great looking 182

e working things up. Thanks.

Jim

H

I bought a plane in California last summer. The state of California didn't care that it left the state. They didn't collect a single penny of taxes. I registered it in my home state and was subject to my home state's taxes.

I have flown it back into the state of California since I purchased it, and they didn't send me a tax bill.

When you write your contract, you can make it transfer anywhere you want and it won't make a better difference to the taxing authorities.

That's the best idea if you already know one who knows the 182 well. If not, phone other FBO's and ask for recommendations. NEVER rely on the seller's mechanic.

I actually used the sellers mechanic, who was also brokering the airplane.

I have had 55 hours with no issues. my mechanic back home did the recent oil change, and he was happy with everything he saw.

I have had 55 hours with no issues. my mechanic back home did the recent oil change, and he was happy with everything he saw.

You're a brave man!

You're a brave man!

Every transaction is unique.

Something's just make sense one way or another.

Certainly didn't use a " competent attorney".

I bought my plane in Wisconsin (I live in Virginia). I got a recommendation of a mechanic for the prebuy who was fairly local by looking up a another local Navion owner in the type society and asking him (actually we ended up talking to his teenage son, but he was able to tell us who their mechanic was). I made my offer (and a small deposit) after my initial inspection but contingent on the prebuy inspection and having a few things fixed.

If you're financing the plane, it behooves you to find out what they want for escrow, etc... My bank wouldn't release the funds without the executed bill of sale. The seller didn't want to turn the paperwork over without the funds. We had a local bank handle the escrow. There are specific aviation escrow companies (AOPA is affiliated with one) but most commercial banks and even attorneys can do so.

Not the sharpest pencil in the box, are you? You lucked out this time.

Yeah, I rely on dumb luck to get through life. Would've been better if I would've said "I prayed about it"?

Would you buy a used Lamborghini based only on the owner's uncle cleatus saying "yup, everything is fine, look I have a recepit from the last oil change." That's basically what you did by taking the owner and broker's word for it.

Personally, No I wouldn't, but neither would I slam the guy that did so successfully. There is a lot to be said for having good manners.

Would you buy a used Lamborghini based only on the owner's uncle cleatus saying "yup, everything is fine, look I have a recepit from the last oil change." That's basically what you did by taking the owner and broker's word for it.

I wasn't buying a used Lamborghini. That is a stupid comparison. I was buying an old Cessna. They are nowhere near the same vehicle. I think the Lamborghini is faster.

Nope, seen too many with new paint and interior that fit the saying "Same old whore, new dress". :yes:

Since it did not have new paint and interior, that comparison and saying is completely ridiculous.

There are going to be multiple correct answers for every question in life. perhaps when you grow up a bit and aNd age a bit you will find that out.

I am about to spend $300,000 on a house that I've never seen. Relying solely on the word of the real estate broker. And spend an undetermined amount on a couple truckloads of equipment coming from Manitoba Canada but I have never seen and I'm relying solely on the sellers description.

Every transaction is unique, and every transaction requires a different confidence level and a different amount of due diligence. to say someone is stupid for not following your ideal method is quite frankly stupid.

Since it did not have new paint and interior, that comparison and saying is completely ridiculous.

There are going to be multiple correct answers for every question in life. perhaps when you grow up a bit and aNd age a bit you will find that out.

I am about to spend $300,000 on a house that I've never seen. Relying solely on the word of the real estate broker. And spend an undetermined amount on a couple truckloads of equipment coming from Manitoba Canada but I have never seen and I'm relying solely on the sellers description.

Every transaction is unique, and every transaction requires a different confidence level and a different amount of due diligence. to say someone is stupid for not following your ideal method is quite frankly stupid.

Yea, but real estate laws are way diff than buying a toy. You have recourse and probably a home warranty as well.

Buying a plane is pretty much as-is, with all faults. Just like buying a car off Craigslist.... Once the cash trades, don't come knocking on my door.

Yea, but real estate laws are way diff than buying a toy. You have recourse and probably a home warranty as well.

Buying a plane is pretty much as-is, with all faults. Just like buying a car off Craigslist.... Once the cash trades, don't come knocking on my door.

I have never been called "the Plaintiff" in my life so the "law" doesn't seem like much of an option for me. Hopefully it keeps honest people honest, but rarely have I seen legal avenues be financially beneficial. (And only called "the Defendent" once, and, quite frankly, I am far better off since she initiated that action.)

I have employees (and contractors, and brokers, etc) that make decisions for me and spend my money on my behalf. I have to trust professionals to do the right thing and make good decisions. If they don't, I don't use them again or I fire them.

Not everyone in the world is out to screw you, not everyone needs the threat of a lawsuit to do the right thing.

I bet you hired a home inspector on the house your buying.

<< Sent from my mobile device at 0agl >>

I bet you hired a home inspector on the house your buying.

No. You would lose that bet.

I think home inspectors are one of the great scams that have developed in the real estate world.

They assure you nothing, you agree they are not liable for anything.

"paint in coat closet does not match upstairs closet paint"

You're even more foolish than we thought. Good luck.

Yes, several times. Just like a prebuy for a plane. And just like having a mechanic look at a used car that doesn't come with any kind of backing. Things that smart people do as part of a good decision making process.

Yes, several times. Just like a prebuy for a plane. And just like having a mechanic look at a used car that doesn't come with any kind of backing. Things that smart people do as part of a good decision making process.

And what value was the inspection?

When I'm asked to do a pre-buy I ask what the buyer wants me to inspect, most don't know.

I ask, do you have the FAA CD? most say no.
I ask, do you have a copy of the logs? most say no.

And it goes on and on.

About $500.

Or do you mean the value of smart informed decision making? If so, roughly the value of the product or service you are purchasing. Or that you wisely decide not to purchase.

>

Last edited:

How do you know your selected mechanic isn't having you buy his 401k?

Most new-bee buyers don't know an A&P

About $500.

Or do you mean the value of smart informed decision making? If so, roughly the value of the product or service you are purchasing. Or that you wisely decide not to purchase.

>

No. I mean the value of the actual report.

Including all the disclaimers of liability. And the level of competence and responsibility of the author of the report for items that actually matter. "Handle of hose bib is broken".

I already answered that question. I value it equal to the property I'm purchasing. Your disingenuous bull**** doesn't cover what a home inspection of pre-buy inspection actually covers. If you can't comprehend this, you're either a complete fool, or are lying.

I've purchased two homes. The inspections of each yielded a complete detailed report of everything about the property. Everything about the construction, the mechanical systems, the appliances, etc. Everything that is wrong. Everything that could be wrong. Everything that is definitely good. The entire thing, not just the stupid hose bib. Things that I will need to deal with in a few years. Things I will need to deal with now. While it hasn't happened to me, I have family and friends who cancelled a purchase of a home based on things found during the inspection. Not the hose bib. More like "House being held up by one cinder block, nearing collapse."

The pre-buy we just did on a 172 was exactly the same, so no need retype it all.

I would do the same thing, doesn't matter since I will be eyes on either way and they will be operating at my direction under my supervision. I hire them to be my wrench monkeys, not my brain.

Selecting an A&P is more about the A&P's reputation than who's aircraft they've worked on.

I know several A&P/FBOs who would be able to show you all the work orders for the past several years/decades for the aircraft you are buying. when the guy who you select wouldn't have a clew.

Back