Steep turns and slow flight on IR checkride?

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
My new CFII has me doing steep turns and slow flight under the hood for IFR training. I don't see these in the PTS for the IR. Will DPE test me on these?

I seem to remember performing slow flight on my IFR checkride... It was a while back not sure if it has changed. Even if it isn't tested it is good to practice those maneuvers without horizon/ground reference. Has your CFI put you through unusual attitude training yet?? Now THAT is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they are not in the PTS. What is, is slow CRUISE, part of holds and approaches.

There are a number of things on the syllabus that aren't on the checkride. Like Pattern A.

Might find yourself there in the unusual attitude stuff if you botch it. Heh. ;)

Those maneuvers are not but basic flight maneuvers under instruments is. On my ride I was asked to do some turns, climbs and decents on request and then a full 360 standard rate turn. Slow flight and steep turns are good for practice but aren't a required test maneuver.

My new CFII has me doing steep turns and slow flight under the hood for IFR training. I don't see these in the PTS for the IR. Will DPE test me on these?
Mine does too, but like a lot of people have said, it's good practice. Can't hurt.

When I asked my CFII today about this, he mentioned that it is in the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook as a maneuver and while not explicitly on the PTS, it is a maneuver that a DPE can test on for basic attitude flying part of the instrument checkride under climbs, turns and basic IFR flying.

Anyways, its all good. Learning good aircraft control under the hood builds confidence. I am a lot better on partial panel and compass turns than when I started. Now to master the rest. We did circle to land today after flying the ILS approach which was fun!

Every DPE is different so some hotshot may bring it up, but I doubt it. Technically, you shouldn't be tested on them and if a DPE specifically tests steep turns and fails you, you'd have a case to make to the FSDO.

I was under the impression they got rid of both maneuvers on the check ride in order to not encourage their use under IFR.

As for your CFII, I don't see how steep turns and slow flight fall under "climbs, turns, and basic IFR flying." Steep turns and slow flight are not basic IFR flying. The point of that test item is your ability to hold headings, altitudes, and make standard rate turns, etc.

The ride is more seamless now, with the DPE testing you on how you handle the plane on your en-route and approaches vs. whether you can hold a steep turn on command or stop and do some slow flight.

Mine never even mentioned them for a reference, and he had a reputation for being tough.

Last edited:
Back