Stearman pilot charged with manslaughter

Re: One for Cutler, Zucker, and Jim.............

Criminal charges? I defer to those more in the know as to criminal law issues, but it seems an unusual use of prosecutorial discretion.

I remember reading about that when it happened. That is going to be tough to defend.

Perhaps not Ghery, Both Jim and I handle criminal matters actually its Jims entire practice as a PD. I think he'd agree the law is a funny thing. When it comes to the law the devil is in the details. It really depends on the way that the law was written. Beleive it or not an aircraft may not qualify as a "motor vehicle" under the law. I don't know anything about WI law but that could certainly be an issue.

Further Violation of Federal Statues or regulations don't necessarlily mean a state law has been violated. The states usually give a person more rights than the Federal Gov't does. They certainly cannont give them less.

It is a horribly tragic situaion but I would say with the limited information the article gives it is a defendable case. Is it a winable case? Who knows! Depends on a lot of things including demographics. Time since the accident, public opinion etc.

... it seems an unusual use of prosecutorial discretion.
Note the one comment to the story about the "Red Barron" (sic) having it coming. Methinks there is more to this than meets the eye.

Last edited:
Shudda been at three feet - that's where the fun is, and ain't no power lines down there.

Wished it had been a damn lawyer in the backseat of that Stearman. . .

-JD

Beleive it or not an aircraft may not qualify as a "motor vehicle" under the law. I don't know anything about WI law but that could certainly be an issue.

FWIW, Wisconsin has a statute that requires sellers of motor vehicle fuels to mark them up at least 32%, IIRC. There was a lawsuit recently where one FBO sued another or something like that, claiming a violation of this law. Eventually, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that 100LL is not a motor vehicle fuel. Hmmm...

JD, there are many "damn lawyers" on this board, and they're damn good guys too.
I disagree - there are many attorneys and lawyers on this board, and they're damn good guys, too. The "damn lawyers" are on the other side ... :D

I gotta ask why he was so low before the climb was initiated.
Maybe the charge should be involuntary manslaughter? -need to know more.

This is a terrible thing for General aviation.
The last thing anybody needs is criminal charges after an accident.

Adding a threat of criminal prosecution to crashes will prevent the NTSB from getting the full story, and probably have a chilling effect on GA as a whole.

It is also easy to imagine jurys taking this way too far. This case might be clear cut, but what happens when jurys start second guessing pilots with every mistake? Sometime people die in general aviation, and sometimes those deaths could have been prevented by the pilot, and sometimes only a super pilot could have saved the situation. What's next, charging pilots with manslaughter when their engine dies from oil starvation for hitting a tree and crashing in the subsequent emergency landing?

This really isn't a good decision for GA.

from Colorado Pilots Association discussion on the issues, posted with permission of the author...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-30-07

All –

Here are a few of the legal ramifications flowing from taking riders in an airplane.

First of all, I will not deal with the instances where a pilot undertakes to intentionally perform an act which is clearly calculated to result in serious bodily injury or death. Those instances are treated differently by both civil and criminal law. If a pilot is loading up an airplane with the intention of injuring people, then he shouldn’t be flying. We should refer such a pilot to the FBI as a terrorist.

Secondly, I will not address violations of FARs, or actions of the FAA regarding same.

Thirdly, it’s not really a case of “buyer beware”, or even “flier beware”. I don’t think that principle applies to these situations. The law is a lot more clear than that.

I will briefly address the situation where you load up a person for a flight during which you expect all to go well.

You can have all riders sign a document which absolves you of civil liability (assuming the rider is competent to sign such a document, and assuming the activity you are involved with is one regarding which the courts actually allow the rider to waive liability). Those are quite useful. I recommend using one in every instance.

The good faith (or not) of the pilot, passenger, or the organizations involved is largely irrelevant (outside the event where the pilot intends to wreck the plane). The fact is that there is a presumption in the mind of the rider (and family) that the pilot is competent and current, and that the aircraft is airworthy. With that in mind, I will very briefly address the potential civil and criminal liabilities.

Civil law: In civil law, one obtains as a result of a claim either injunctive relief (the court tells someone to do something), or judgment for damages (money). What generally matters is the presence of negligence. Negligence is simply defined as the doing of something which a reasonably prudent pilot would not have done… or the failure to do something which a reasonably prudent pilot would have done. Then if that action (or inaction) proximately causes damages, there is an opening for civil liability. Please note that this definition is quite simplistic, and is not a full definition as would be given to the jury in a civil case. But it will work for our discussion. The sad fact is that in airplane incidents, the injuries are normally either quite benign, or quite severe. Generally, a good thing to do in an aircraft incident is to immediately ascertain the condition of the people involved. If you can, use a video camera to view the scene, and keep it on while you talk to people involved and see how they are. Unless they are really injured, they will normally tell you they are fine. You can use a pen and notepad to record quotes. Get somebody to keep track of everyone involved, and attempt to settle any medical claims immediately. They will settle much cheaper at the outset than they will later. Your insurance company will try to hire an attorney from a big downtown firm to defend any claims, but don’t get the feeling that they are your friend. Their primary loyalty is to the insurance company – who pays them. You should hire your own attorney to move things along (and hold the downtown attorney’s feet to the fire) to get things resolved early and cheaply. The more connected you stay with the injured person, the less likely you are to face a lawsuit.

Criminal law: There is considerable cross-over between what will produce civil liability and what will produce criminal prosecution. The “OJ” case is an example. In criminal law, if one is negligent enough, it will rise to the level of criminal negligence. Again, I don’t deal with the intentional injuring of another – which in almost every case can produce criminal prosecution. But the standard of proof is far more difficult in criminal law. In civil law, the standard of proof is simple… is it more likely than not that the fact alleged is true? In criminal law, the standard is that the guilt of the accused must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. There is a lengthy definition of that term which I will not post here, to save space, but suffice it to say that it is a very high standard. In criminal law, if the charges are proved (or admitted), the judge imposes a sentence. Normally a sentence can be anything from probation to prison time. Fines are sometimes assessed as well.

I will tell you that the authorities seem to get more energized about a plane incident where serious injuries (or deaths) occur, than merely gear-up landings where the passengers are only inconvenienced by a little wet spot in their pants.

I read the report of what happened to the Stearman pilot. What the report didn’t say was whether the power lines were shown on a Sectional map. If so, then the pilot was presumed to know of their existence at this point. The fact that he knew this river and had flown it before will not help. It will hurt. He knew the lines were there, and should have been far more vigilant. Flying into power lines is not uncommon. That is why most helicopters have “cable cutters”. The hope is that they will be able to cut the cable rather than be captured like a bug in a spider-web. Airplanes don’t have such defenses. I wonder whether the altitude of flight was within the Regs. If not, then the story is pretty much over. Violation of Regs can be used as a jumping-off-point for either civil or criminal liability. Seeing the power lines only a half-second before impact tells me nothing more than the fact that power lines are hard to see. Besides, looking through the various wires and such which hold a Stearman together serves to camouflage them even further.

When I finished reading the report, my initial thought was not complimentary toward the pilot. First of all, he should have hired an attorney before making any statements to ANYONE. Almost all criminal cases are founded upon admissions of the accused. This is also true of civil matters. Further, he was flying so low that stuff like this happens. 40-50 feet is way too low, I think. All he had to do was be above the altitude that power lines normally hang, and this would have been a far different story. Clearly, he was hot-dogging before the incident. When we “hot dog” in an airplane – especially when showing-off for a passenger – this kind of stuff happens. I can’t remember all the stories I have heard about a pilot showing-off for passengers or people on the ground, and things ended poorly. So, the moral of the story is to take extra care when flying passengers, not less.

I don’t write to discourage you from taking riders, or from giving away an experience of a lifetime. But I do write to remind all of us to just use our heads and to do stuff that will actively keep persons and property undamaged. Most people are afraid to carry riders, and stories like these have a tendency to suppress this kind of laudable activity. Please don’t let one pilot’s mistakes dissuade us from introducing youngsters to the wonderful world of flight.

Having said that, and without further information, I will predict that this pilot will face serious civil liability as a minimum, but maybe even criminal prosecution. Folks, your life can turn from wonderful to tragic in a moment. Let’s work hard to reduce all aircraft incidents to merely unforeseeable mechanical failures, OK?

Thanks.

Jay

H. J. Ledbetter, Jr.

JD, there are many "damn lawyers" on this board, and they're damn good guys too.

Sorry, no.

There are lawyers and there are damn lawyers. Much like there are Yankees and there are damn Yankees.

One you can abide by, the other you can't.

-JD

Sorry, no.

There are lawyers and there are damn lawyers. Much like there are Yankees and there are damn Yankees.

One you can abide by, the other you can't.

-JD
Well stated!

I recall events after the 1987 crash of Continental 1713 on takeoff at the old Stapleton Airport in Denver. A man representing lawyers showed up at the crash scene, passing out business cards and collecting names. They are indeed, "Damn Lawyers!"

Hmmmmmmm I wonder which Yankee am I?!?!?!

Last edited:

Criminal charges? I defer to those more in the know as to criminal law issues, but it seems an unusual use of prosecutorial discretion.

I read what was there, and I didn't read anything that would warrant criminal charges either, it smells funny and politically motivated. I'm not suggesting anything sinister, just that the DA may feel pressured into filing charges by family members... we just don't know who else is involved. DA is an elected position, so if there is someone with some clout calling for blood, hte DA may be pressured into filing. The DA does have a graceful way out of this if he doesn't feel that the charges are truly warranted and that's how he handles the Grand Jury when he seeks the indictment. It'll be interesting to watch this case. The Stearman pilot made one big mistake and that was when he noticed the wires he climbed. NEVER climb over wires, always dive beneeth them. If you can see sky between the wire and the earth, you'll fit under. Once you see that sky, you never look at the wire again, rather you concentrate on maintaining altitude off the deck. Trust you will go under. It's easier after the first couple hundred times you go under the telephone wire.

I gotta ask why he was so low before the climb was initiated.
Maybe the charge should be involuntary manslaughter? -need to know more.

He was giving charity rides. People pay good money for these things, sometimes thousands of dollars as a donation. He was giving her an Aerobatic ride and she started gettin nausious so he gave her the low and slow, we don't know what she asked for. She might have asked for lower, my ex-wife always did. She was fine at the treetops and even below them, loved it. Get up 1000' and she got quiet, 7500' and she was a trembling mess. If it was my ex in the back seat or someone like her, he was down there to make her comfortable. There's factors here we just don't know.
His mistake was climbing over the wires rather than diving below them which is counter intuitive, but safer.

Once you see that sky, you never look at the wire again, rather you concentrate on maintaining altitude off the deck. Trust you will go under.

Very similar to surviving on a motorcycle. Target fixation, never NEVER look at the target you're trying to avoid, always look at the gap. Your bike (airplane) goes where your eyes go...

She was fine at the treetops and even below them, loved it. Get up 1000' and she got quiet, 7500' and she was a trembling mess.

My wife likes lower, when I tell her we'll cruise at 9000, she gets all nervous, and would rather be at 3000. No amount of explaining the logic of why high is good works...irrational fear.

His mistake was climbing over the wires rather than diving below them which is counter intuitive, but safer.

Well said.

Here are two pictures of my dad crop dusting in the stearman. Just by looking at it you can tell how much harder it would be to judge going over versus just going under.

under.jpg

over.jpg

jesse, that first picture is pretty awesome!

I'm not suggesting anything sinister, just that the DA may feel pressured into filing charges by family members... we just don't know who else is involved. DA is an elected position, so if there is someone with some clout calling for blood, hte DA may be pressured into filing.

Sorry, guys, I've been in a rape trial this week (got my a-- kicked btw) so I've been asleep on this story.

What Henning said, at least if this was in my county. With all the victim's right's laws on the books right now, my local DA will file, often, based on what someone is demanding.

I HATE to see this charged criminally. But, sadly, I can see a jury taking a dim view of this guy flying 50 feet over the river, with power lines present.

Jim G

Back