Steak Sauce

Cocktail sauce is for bad seafood, good seafood doesn't need anything. I can find no reason ever to eat tartar sauce.

.....melted butter on seafood is worthy

On the other hand, this is kind of perfection. Med rare + Peppercorn any day of the week.

1581198397552.jpeg

Try putting it on a burger with more of your ass sauces. :D

OK, I've got another one for you, @EdFred . I was on a moto trip and made eggs with biscuits and sausage gravy for the group for breakfast. We had some sausage gravy left over, and we did burgers and dogs on the grill for dinner that night.

I have to say, a good grilled burger topped with sausage gravy is a damned fine thing! It even goes good on a dog!

A friend of mine just told me the other day that he puts peanut butter and jelly on his burgers.

German style Jagerschnitzel, with the gravy type dressing and mushrooms is some pretty good stuff. Then again, Germans aren't known for the very best steaks. I had some Jagerschnitzel burgers the other day. Totally the bomb.

A friend of mine just told me the other day that he puts peanut butter and jelly on his burgers.

There is a place in the Delta along the river that, for years only had one item on the menu. Steak sandwiches, and all the peanut butter and bread that you could eat (there were jars of peanut butter on the table.) They still have that, but now other things are on the menu too.

The building it's in was made in the 1850's. Actually the whole town was. It housed Chinese laborers who constructed the canal locks.

I've had a gourmet restaurant burger with PB on it, and it wasn't awful but I wouldn't order it that way again. However, the jelly part just sounds awful.

upload_2021-8-31_14-22-3.png
PICKAPEPPA! This stuff is awesome, Tamarind. I haven't tried the other flavors.
Blind tests, and my palette, always show that a top heat salamander or a pan gives better flavor than a grill so I only use an iron pan. Grilling is for burgers, etc. I make a sauce/gravy almost every time. After searing to less than medium let the steak rest on a plate covered in foil. After several minutes that juice that leaks out goes back into the pan with the onions and garlic and a splash of sauce and maybe even some leftover coffee. If the steak is truly great then it mostly gets used on the potatoes or bread.

Try the Reverse Sear for thicker or cheaper cuts, progressive food science that I know some will never "believe!"

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-31_14-19-45.png
    upload_2021-8-31_14-19-45.png
    147 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I am also a fan of cowboy rub on a steak. Lots of salt & pepper, some sage, ground coffee, garlic and onion powder, and a little thyme is the version I've always used.

I stopped reading at cowboy rub, because I didn't want to know what that meant.

....melted butter on seafood is worthy[/QUOTE

I wonder how many people are oblivious that plenty of high end steak houses, if not most of them, put a spoonful of salted and clarified butter on their steaks right before it's sent to the tables

And you give me grief for putting KC Masterpiece on a burger? :) At least that is intended to go on meat.

Also, I question your use of the word 'gourmet' in the above sentence.

Lol, I just tried it because it was featured on the menu at a sit-down restaurant (Grub Burger Bar) in The Woodlands that pretty much just does burgers (place was sort of like a Red Robin, but slightly more upscale I suppose). However, I just tried it once, you keep coming back to the KC Masterpiece tragedy! :D

However, as far as burger places go (pretty good all around menu - steaks/etc.), Fieldings Wood Grill in The Woodlands, TX is pretty legit. Lots of good burgers, including Wagyu if that's your thing. You'll have to bring your own KC Masterpiece though.

....melted butter on seafood is worthy[/QUOTE

I wonder how many people are oblivious that plenty of high end steak houses, if not most of them, put a spoonful of salted and clarified butter on their steaks right before it's sent to the tables
Hell, I cook my steaks with butter on em.

Actually just had this conversation at work a couple days ago. I was asked how I liked my steak. Well done of course. “But then it ruins the flavor.” Which I replied, “Who cares. The whole point of the meat is just to transfer the A1 to my mouth.” That didn’t go over well.

Never been into steaks or eating wings. Anything I’ve got to work that hard at to get to the meat, isn’t worth my time.

I used to think we could hang out.

:p

I used to think we could hang out.

:p

Yeah my eating habits drive my coworkers nuts. They bring in all these fresh ingredients and have big cook outs. I bring in frozen meals, sometimes even MREs.

No joke, lived at my house for 9 years and haven’t used the oven / stove once. My microwave gets a good workout though. ;)

Medium well to well done for any beef that I partake of. Been hit by food poisoning too many time over the years. I even tell the wait staff to have the cooks cut it if they aren’t sure.

As to horseradish...pure prepared in the jars with the red lids...one jar will do about 3 batches of cocktail sauce for my shrimp.

Food poisoning from a steak? That takes a big screw up, in my view, unless you're counting "chopped steak" or something. I've had food poisoning a couple of times. First time was in college, and the doc just asked one question "when was the last time you had chicken?" They are filthy animals, the supermarket version anyway. Rare steak should be safe. And sadly, nothing is safe if the people in the kitchen do something wrong. Like place your cooked to death steak on a platter that had raw chicken on it 30 seconds ago. My bet is that cross contamination is the top contender, up their with "stuff that's been sitting around too long at room temperature".

Food poisoning from a steak? That takes a big screw up, in my view, unless you're counting "chopped steak" or something. I've had food poisoning a couple of times. First time was in college, and the doc just asked one question "when was the last time you had chicken?" They are filthy animals, the supermarket version anyway. Rare steak should be safe. And sadly, nothing is safe if the people in the kitchen do something wrong. Like place your cooked to death steak on a platter that had raw chicken on it 30 seconds ago. My bet is that cross contamination is the top contender, up their with "stuff that's been sitting around too long at room temperature".
If handled properly, rare steak won’t make you sick, but I still like a bit more heat on mine, for much of the same reason I’m not a huge sushi eater. I would agree that mishandling in the kitchen leads to far more cases of food poisoning than the actual meat does. Anything made from ground meat however, should be cooked thoroughly, as it’s much more likely to contain bacteria.

Arrachera? Nice citrus forward salsa
Steak adjacent Bulgogi? Sauce already included
Grilled ribeye? Butter, salt and pepper
Cast ironed ribeye? Pan sauce - red wine, porter or bourbon
Burger? Mayo on the bottom bun always keeps it from sogging and sagging. A1 if the mood strikes.

Mustard is the only thing to put on hot dogs.

to the contrary, mustard goes in the trash.

relish is the only thing to put on a hot dog.

wrt ketchup... years ago we had a church member that put ketchup on scrambled eggs. So, we had to put out a bottle of ketchup when she came to our Church breakfasts. just one bottle.

wrt ketchup... years ago we had a church member that put ketchup on scrambled eggs. So, we had to put out a bottle of ketchup when she came to our Church breakfasts. just one bottle.

OK, here's a bizarre one. I don't like ketchup on scrambled eggs, but I LOVE yellow mustard on scrambled eggs...

What about mustard cookies?

Each Christmas (before 2020) we did a cookie exchange at a friend's house. Everyone bring plate(s) of cookies, people grab whatever cookies from each plate, put them in their various container, maybe sample 1 or 2 while we play games or sit around and BS. Everyone always requests my almond sugar cookies. So the plan one year was make the 5 dozen or so cookies as normal, pull out enough dough for 3 cookies, load them up with a couple tablespoons of ground mustard, put them in with the rest of the batch, and 3 people would be VERY surprised when they got home. So I did. Well, this particular year the invitations went out late, most everyone already had other parties they committed to, and it was only the hosts their two tween kids, myself and 1 other couple. Well before the exchange happens the hosts' 12 year old boy does what 12 year olds do and starts talking smack about whatever it was. I then let the adults know what my original plan was and that I have 3 cookies that are a surprise, but I think the 12 year old needs that smack talk curtailed. The parents agreed. So I goad the 12 year old and direct his smack talk and boasting towards the consumption of cookies. "I bet you can't eat 10 cookies before the night is done, no you know I don't think you can eat 5, no, you know what, I bet you can't even eat THREE cookies!" "Oh, that's easy!" "Is it a bet?" "Yeah!" "OK, but I get to pick the cookies." These things are only the diameter of a can of pop, and when I pick out the three cookies he knows he has this in the bag. Until the first bite. The **** eating grin turned to a look of horror as it crumbled in in his mouth, and the rest of us laughed. His mom and dad thought it was a pretty good lesson for him. His dad on the other hand, makes and eats some weird stuff, knowingly tries one and liked it better than the regular version.

In grad school, I may or may not have been known to make a couple of caramel onions to mix into a platter of caramel apples for a Halloween party.

Back