STC's needed to modify LSA eligible classics?

Jose Colmenares

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jrcolmena
New here. I have been googling this for a few days without an obvious answer. I am considering options to build time after getting my PPL, the obvious is renting/flying club which right now sounds like the smartest solution given the lower risk and fixed hourly budget, I have thought about a kit but I am not sure I have the commitment and willpower to finish it, this is a decision that I’ll make when at least I’m 250 hours in

There is another intriguing option for my mission, which is fun VFR flying. I don’t intend to become commercial; I don’t have kids and I plan to do very little cross-country flying (I’m in western Mass, maybe Oshkosh someday? Definitely no trips to Florida or California, maybe day trips to Boston or NYC when I am more proficient navigating and comms if I can manage to avoid the class B to land in GA airports but I’m digressing. My main issue with renting is that if I want to go to the Cape or Montreal with the girlfriend for a weekend, I can’t just keep the rental out of base parked somewhere with the base or club losing money on a Saturday and Sunday.

I see these classic taildraggers that qualify as LSA, Aeroncas, Luscombes, Taylocraft and the Cub variants, they are gas sippers and can be bought relatively cheap. Yes, I know, a good inspection is a must because 60 year old planes can be full of surprises. The thought of owning a piece of history and thinking that will enjoying the same freedoms as a returning WWII Vet make me smile, and with all this babbling here is where I get to my question, eventually the bird will need an overhaul or major repairs, and my financial situation might improve. I do know that certified aircraft need STC’s to install improvements such as avionics, engine upgrades and those STC make more sense for more popular birds like the C172’s and PA-28’s. These birds qualify as LSA’s for upgrades even if the LSA rules didn’t exist when they were built?

If eventually I wanted to add a few perks, change the panel, given the small real state there is not much there I could do, but maybe a small efis, engine info, even swapping one of the old 65 HP lycomings for a newer Rotax 80 HP (I know, controversial, just an example) I think for a moving map an ipad would be a better option, but at least digital round gates replacing the old steam and vacuum pumps. Would certified equipment an an STC be required? All the things I just mentioned are available at lower costs for experimentals and LSAs, but I am not sure I would be violating any rules or decertifying the plane. After all these birds are not meant for IFR or IMC flying, worse thing that can happen is you make them permanently an LSA. Most of what I see for sale definitely needs ADS-B out installed if I ever want to go through Charlie or Bravo airspace

I know to many of you purists my question might seem sacrilegious. Why would you want to ruin the beauty of a classic with all this digital screens, my answer it might be safer and more reliable than a 50 year old steam instrument lowering repair costs in the long run

Any comments/criticism welcome

These birds qualify as LSA’s
FYI: The type certificated aircraft you mention only qualify as an LSA in regards to people with a Sport Pilot certificate, i.e., operationally. All maintenance or alterations still fall under the same rules as all other TC'd aircraft. Maintenance rules for LSA or E/AB do not apply to your list.

I've seen Luscombes with full IFR panels. If it's an airplane with a standard airworthiness certificate, you can't use experimental avionics, and you'd need an STC if you wanted to do an engine swap.

Old taildraggers sip gas and have low acquisition costs but that does not mean they are cheap to own.

Welcome to PoA!

Thank you, as always, with aviation, there are no inexpensive shortcuts

Take a look at the RV12. You can find the older ones for not too much more than some of the other planes on your list. But you'll end up with a much younger airplane that will likely be much cheaper to maintain. Also consider building one if you're so inclined. It is by far, the easiest Vans kit to build.

Take a look at the RV12. You can find the older ones for not too much more than some of the other planes on your list. But you'll end up with a much younger airplane that will likely be much cheaper to maintain. Also consider building one if you're so inclined. It is by far, the easiest Vans kit to build.
What he said. They'll get you places a whole lot quicker than a Luscombe or a Champ, too. You can't fly with the doors (or windows) open, though.

Thank you, as always, with aviation, there are no inexpensive shortcuts

Sure there is. Regular EAB offers plenty affordable LSA level of performance offerings. Converting S-LSA offerings to E-LSA is another avenue, one I would actually prefer if I was in your situation because it gains you access to inspection authority without having to build, but the CAPEX is usually the non-starter here with S-LSAs.

What you seek can be found in EAB, that would be my choice. Good luck to ya and welcome to POA.

Back