Staying up to date

MHarrow

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MHarrow11
So I have started my PPL I have 16 hours and I will solo next time I am home. I work as a contractor overseas so I am home every three months.

Does anyone here fly a few times a month then go take a break for a few months. Then fly again?

If you do how does it affect when you go and try and rent a plane somewhere?

I live in California but I am doing my training in Florida. ( It's cheaper and I stay at a friend's while I am there ) I don't know what airport that has a rentals is closest to me so I don't know what to ask them.

After three weeks of no-flying for me is when it gets serious. It starts with a slight fever and dryness of the throat. Then it penetrates the red blood cells, and I become dizzy, begin to experience an itchy rash, then it goes to work on the central nervous system, severe muscle spasms followed by the inevitable drooling.
At this point my entire digestive system collapses accompanied by uncontrollable flatulence until finally, I’m reduced to a quivering wasted piece of jelly.

3 months? Fuhgedaboudit. Especially during training, although I never had that long of a break. I guess there’s not much u can do about it though, huh?

I highly recommend flying the lazyboy as often as you can, it seems to help me... Being its training and some skills aren't cemented in yet, you are going to loose a little progress just like the kids do with summer break. But its the hand of cards you are dealt with your schedule and part of being a pilot is making the best out of less than perfect situations. You can do it. Arm chair fly when you cant fly for real, watch youtubes of flights and "fly" in your head with them not just watch...

I took 4 years off and in preperation for getting back in the air I did a lot of armchair and flying youtube flights ahead of my purchase. I was shocked once up with the instructor how much "like riding a bike" it was at least in a macro way, as in the basics were there still and just had to polish the rust and knock the dust off some of the finesse skills...

Do what you gotta do, and even once you get you PPL, especially when new if you have taken a few months off plan on going up with an instructor when you come back, rental may require it anyway if its been so long since you flew theirs...

So I have started my PPL I have 16 hours and I will solo next time I am home. I work as a contractor overseas so I am home every three months.

Does anyone here fly a few times a month then go take a break for a few months. Then fly again?

I live in California but I am doing my training in Florida. ( It's cheaper and I stay at a friend's while I am there ) I don't know what airport that has a rentals is closest to me so I don't know what to ask them.

One place I rent from requires you have flown within the last 90 days. If not you have to get current with one of their CFI’s. Three trips around the pattern is enough. Another one requires Annual flight reviews with one of their CFI’s. Another one just requires you have a current bi-annual FAA flight review. All of them required a Rental checkout the first time renting from them.

Try to train intensively during your blocks of time in Florida. Otherwise you'll spend twice as much time and money getting to your PPL.

Most rentals have flight currency requirements that are governed by their insurance. That's why it varies. But 90 days is quite common.

I highly recommend flying the lazyboy as often as you can, it seems to help me...
A presolo student of mine broke his leg and was grounded for several weeks. I gave him some chair flying exercises. He flew better on his first lesson back than on the last lesson before the break.

Funny thing for me is that if I haven’t flown in a few weeks my first few landings Always seem to be better.

Flew today after three weeks grounded by Wx, take offs and landings went dandy on the skill side, as in I was happy with my performance.

Had one close call... right as I was kissing a tire to the pavement my d#*+ed foot slipped off the rudder peddle, not a good spot to be in in a taildragger!!!!! I could see it easily have becoming a ground loop had I sat her down that cockamamied

Unleashed all those continental ponies and got the heck on Otta there! Those shoes are in the trash now! I was shocked how Hard and thus easily slippery the soles of those running shoes had become! Add one more item to the checklist “check soles of shoes for grippyness”

The FAA limits a solo endorsement to 90 days. So if you are gone 3 months you have to fly with CFI. I normally limit my initial solo students to 30 days and then increase the time period as they get more training and experiance.

Funny thing for me is that if I haven’t flown in a few weeks my first few landings Always seem to be better.
That's pretty common. Same happens to those who fly multiple types and haven't flown one of them in some time. I think it has to do with mental focus. We know we might be rusty and pay more attention.

Back