Staying organized in the cockpit

This strayed off topic, but that's ok. My questions were answered.

I always chuckle at those so hesitant to accept new technology while criticizing those whom embrace it.

What's the primary difference in your mind regarding the differences between EFB use in your mind? Last I heard you were trying to figure out how to fly a 182, so there might be a few ahead of you.

FTFY. Just because some people think something doesn't mean they are right. And the way that Alaska Airlines uses these is not the same as the way GA pilots do, so let's not lump them together, eh?

And I guess I'm not a pilot by your definition.

You know what systems engineering is, right? It's figuring out how the whole system works, rather than a part of it. Do you REALLY mean to argue that that is unnecessary?

Low Tech: I wrote an app that runs in OpenOffice to let me do flight planning. When I'm satisfied with it I make a PDF and put it on my Nexus 7. I include my "paper" map with marks, airport diagrams, low, high and other nav charts. Pretty much everything I need including alternate airports. On the nexus I can expand it for my old eyes :), I also print a paper copy, because I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. And carry all the charts. And a magnifying glass.
High tech: I'm looking at the interfaces of Garmin Pilot, DUAT and a few more apps so I can push\pull data between things that should talk to each other but don't.

Anyone use their iPad to take notes as well? I've been debating this...
I use scratchpad in Garmin Pilot on my Nexus. I love it.

As for pencils and pens: I always fly in a shirt with 2 pockets, and have a good old fashioned nerd pack in one of them all the time.

I'll accept "paperless" claims like yours that are realistic about the need for other tools from time to time. Some of the others could lead to some interesting wagers.

Yep. My office is almost completely paperless. All work product is electronic.
I print things for final edit and review (I still find typos and such on paper better than on a screen, that may not be true for kids). Some things have not been set up for digital signatures, so print/sign/scan/email is still required.
Meeting notes are handwritten on an IPad, with Noteshelf and a stylus, then sent to Evernote so they're available everywhere (desk, ipad, phone).

I have a steno book on my desk to take impromptu notes (phone numbers, the name of the guy I need to call next, etc). And a Field Notes notebook in my pocket all the time for the unexpected notes when away from the desk.
A steno book lives in my bag for electronic failure, but it's almost never used.

In the plane, a Nexus with Garmin Pilot, Iphone with Foreflight for backup.
One set of year old WACs covering the whole country. I can get down or to an alternate with those, and they don't take much room.
Plus a pad and several pens/pencils.

Well since this thread clearly moved from the OP's question about paper organization to electronic, here's a self-"duh" on the subject:

Someone on another forum pointed out that, at certain opacities, the new chart overlay in ForeFlight can be especially difficult to read, especially over the predominately B&W en route chart. I hadn't noticed it because all my playing with it had been over the color sectional chart.

It suddenly made me realize that I had flown my IFR flights since getting an iPad predominately with the sectional, switching to the en route chart those times when greater clarity was needed. I also recalled the advice long given that instrument pilots carry at least an old sectional for the additional situational awareness it provides.

I always liked the idea but it was a real pain needing to have two sets of charts available. Now, switching back and forth takes 2 taps. I'm not sure I could even reach for the other chart in that little time.

In big GA airplanes the crews refer to long-range nav (GPS, etc) as "Blue" and short-range ground-based nav (VOR) as "Green". When flying in Blue mode we'
re required to be backed-up by Green mode, meaning that track and intercept radials of of applicable VORs will be monitored and updated as the flight progresses.

I've seldom heard this same simple methodology used in light GA, but encourage any X/C student or pilot to use it as a part of trip planning and navigation, since all the necessary information is on the sectional and the technique is fundamentally sound and should be second-nature to pilots.

Interesting.

I was taught that unused navaids and Nav instruments shouldn't be idle.

Not as flashy as Fisher Price color coding ;) , but I don't sit there with only one Nav source if there's more available to me.

Back