Stay on or above glideslope...

The pilot was above. WAY above. So far above he missed the runway and landed in the water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Niugini
Air Niugini has had a remarkable safety record insofar there has never been a fatal crash with flight crew members or passengers killed or even injured. In 1973 when PNG gained independence, Pilots from the two airlines operating for the government were from Ansett Australia and Trans Australia Airlines. The majority of these pilots elected to return to these companies and continue their careers in Australia. This left a huge shortage in the pilot strength (over 95%) and consequently replacements were recruited from both Australia and New Zealand. These pilots had little or no experience in airline operations and few if any skills or experience operating in the extremely hostile environs of PNG.

Nonetheless, they were trained by the outgoing pilots from Ansett and TAA and with the first class training behind them continued to provide safe and reliable services to all of PNG. When Air Niugini took over the international routes - then operated by Qantas - once again the senior pilots were called upon to convert from basic turbo prop aircraft (F27) to B707-338C 4-engine jet aircraft. Considerable alarm was expressed that these "jungle pilots" could not possibly operate large jet aircraft hitherto flown by Qantas flight crews.

Huh? I read they landed short, not long.

The article says that but look at the airport on a map and then the pics. They overshot the runway. I believe that airport is the shortest in the world for commercial aircraft.

The article says that but look at the airport on a map and then the pics. They overshot the runway. I believe that airport is the shortest in the world for commercial aircraft.
It's nowhere close to the shortest in the world; it's 6K feet. 737s regularly land on runways less than that.

My dad flew out there in the 70's and 80's for Continental Air Micronesia in 727's. The runway back then was crushed coral, slick when wet, and he thinks 5,000 feet. He said he does remember, for a while, when they were working on the runway it was only 4,500 feet. Picture of an Air Mic plane landing on the coral runway at Truk/Chuuk.

44459c195d95c4d5f7555d8dfbe9f027.jpg

A little history of Air Mic

Even today CBS is saying this:

“What caused the crash and the exact sequence of events remains unclear. The airline and the U.S. Navy both said the plane landed in the lagoon short of the runway. Some witnesses thought the plane overshot the runway.”

I guess some witnesses could be right and the airline and US Navy wrong.

Back