Status of FAA Third Class Medical Exemption

I think we should adopt the same rigorous medical standards for state issued driver's licenses. People drive on state or federal roads all the time, with a 10 second eye-chart BS. Think of the children. And, in the case of drivers, we can point to thousands of deaths on the public highways. Many of which could be eliminated with all the anal probing that goes for a third class med.

They are giving out DLs to illegal aliens now and it takes a court action to pull a license from a 90yo now. You will never see med exams other than a DMV eye test, and even that is done by a clerk not an eye person. And no thickness of glasses matter. If you can read the top line, and even if you don't speak english, you can get a license now.

The gorilla in the room is how sport pilots with no medical exam are flying, yet other pilots able to pass a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are required to take and the exam to fly.

Most of the sport pilots are not young people who just wanted sport pilot privilege, they are downgrade older guys that knew they couldn't pass the 3rd class so simply go up knowing they have medical conditions that can't get by a medical exam.

Either no medicals for anyone, or medicals for everyone.

Which is safer? Not my problem to solve. Having younger guys that can pass meds take med, and letting the older guys that can't pass the med exam still fly is irrational.

They are giving out DLs to illegal aliens now and it takes a court action to pull a license from a 90yo now. You will never see med exams other than a DMV eye test, and even that is done by a clerk not an eye person. And no thickness of glasses matter. If you can read the top line, and even if you don't speak english, you can get a license now.

You understand that is so they can be insured, right?

The gorilla in the room is how sport pilots with no medical exam are flying, yet other pilots able to pass a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are required to take and the exam to fly.

Most of the sport pilots are not young people who just wanted sport pilot privilege, they are downgrade older guys that knew they couldn't pass the 3rd class so simply go up knowing they have medical conditions that can't get by a medical exam.

Either no medicals for anyone, or medicals for everyone.

Which is safer? Not my problem to solve. Having younger guys that can pass meds take med, and letting the older guys that can't pass the med exam still fly is irrational.

Not necessarily true!!! Many of us older guys can pass our medicals but the cost for all the additional testing the FAA puts us through makes flying prohibitive.

When you get to the point that you are just flying for fun, with instrument and night flying no longer a must the LSA route looks to be very enticing.

An additional benefit is that the aircraft are much newer and have lots of frills we would never have in our older models.

And lastly, don't **** off an old guy!!!!!!

I understand the federal government love to take my tax money, but not enforce immigration laws. I also understand that illegals don't bother getting insurance, just like they didn't bother entering the country legally.

I understand the federal government love to take my tax money, but not enforce immigration laws. I also understand that illegals don't bother getting insurance, just like they didn't bother entering the country legally.
You need to give them a license so you have something to threaten to take away. Same as making all those ultralight pilots SPs.:lol:

Yes but the insurers had to wait until the no-fault requirements were completely finished before bothering to look for fresh meat.

Cops around here don't even bother filling out what happened on the report anymore other than if they decide to hand out a ticket. Insurance is going to pay whether they get it right or not, nowadays.

All you can do is go file your own report online and build a pile of paper for a lawyer to use later if someone claims an injury they didn't actually get from the accident. And take your own photos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back