Statin use

J

JaggedLittlePill

I'm a healthy guy in my 50s. Came back from my annual physical, and the doc threw the word Cholesterol into today's assessment.

My blood work showed my cholesterol to now be higher than the normal range, higher than last year's reading, and he wants it to get back in range before I have negative effects. Last year it was the top of the normal range.

I'm not diagnosed with any disease. Ultrasounds of ateries came out clear. EKG and treadmill tests came out just fine. But I've now been prescribed what he called a "pediatric dose" (20mg) of Lipitor. (atorvastatin) He wants me to stay on it.

My 3rd class medical was issued just a few months ago, and I have no notations or need for a SI. At the time of the medical, I correctly reported that I don't use any prescription meds. In my past, I've never needed a prescription med for any long-term use.

Now that I have a prescription medication that I'm likely to be taking long-term, do I need to report this now, or just report at my renewal?

You got a good doc, add a little exercise, watch the red meats and cheese, keep the weight off and you're good to go. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Report at your renewal. Statin use is a no brainer.
This. But also review exercise and nutrition. Improving both habits as well as getting weight down into the desired range will aid in many areas, including cholesterol

also 20mg isn't nothing. I use 10mg/day and mine was pretty high before I started using. you might ask if you can start on 10mg and then test after 6 months.

also, my doc is a fan of pairing that with CQ10 (I get it from Costco) to avoid side affects

https://www.livestrong.com/article/385676-the-side-effects-of-lipitor-coq10/

Same here. I'd been taking red yeast rice (active ingredient is lovastatin, the same as in Mevacor) for about 30 years, with my doctors' blessings. Some news articles about purity problems with some batches of red yeast rice persuaded me to ask the doctor for a lab-made statin instead. He told me to take it with CoQ10 (which I was already taking anyway). It seems to be working fine at 10mg/day, and it's less-expensive than the herb.

Rich

Whenever in doubt about an acceptable medication, you can go to the AOPA web site and check it out.

Check out this medical database for pilots:
https://www.aviationmedicine.com/me...m=&amas_search_category=&amas_search_purpose=

You can search for a medical condition, or a particular drug. Good first step to find the likely FAA approved drug to treat that condition.

Search for Lipitor reveals:
upload_2019-8-30_1-51-50.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back