Static check question

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
Do you need the plane running at a set RPM or can they check the system with simulation instruments i.e. Vacuum pump?

I had an avionics shop do an IFR Static check on Dec. 28 and after 12 phone calls the only thing I found out was I had a leak. So they need to bring it back into the shop to fix it but the paper work was in the plane (what paper work if it is not fix). What was leaking I have no clue I am assuming vacuum system.

I was unable to get to the shop during working hours because of work so I could only communicate via the phone. This weekend I went to the airport to see what paper work they left in the plane humm no paper work. So I call today and they told me they will finish up the paper work tomorrow and put it in the plane. Do you think I am being jerked around?

Ok now that I vented back to the question. When I went to the plane I forgot I should have removed the throttle lock and that got me thinking could they do a static check with it on?

Bob

A static check is where the shop places an instrument on the static system and makes the instruments think they are at various altitudes by plugging the static port and vacumning out the hoses and tubes if a leak occurs they must repaire that before continuing.

they find out if your altimeter and altitude encoder match their instrument. all the way up to 20K'

The paper work is a log book entry that states the required test was completed, and if necessary the repair logged.

Do you think I am being jerked around?

Probably not although that is a long time to fix one leak and do the check, what type of plane.

after 12 phone calls the only thing I found out was I had a leak.

They are doing a bad job of communication it seems.

Time to visit the shop, no more phone calls. Face to face with the mech/shop lead.

A static check is where the shop places an instrument on the static system and makes the instruments think they are at various altitudes by plugging the static port and vacumning out the hoses and tubes if a leak occurs they must repaire that before continuing.

they find out if your altimeter and altitude encoder match their instrument. all the way up to 20K'

The paper work is a log book entry that states the required test was completed, and if necessary the repair logged.
And I believe they don't actually need to start the plane's engine, is this correct? Whether or not the vacuum pump is working correctly is not part of the test (?) They do need access to the master switch to power up the altitude encoder though.

what if you dont have a transponder? do they just check the altimeter for accuracy vs. the test set?

91.411 Altimeter/static system/reporting systems
91.413 Transponder check

no vacuum system involved, no starting the engine.

oh duh dave. they get combined so often that people often forget they are separate.

Back