State of GA

Agree, to a point.

HOWEVER, there are segments of aviation that are not cost prohibitive. Example: Get three guys together to buy an old Ercoupe (or Cessna 150) and your up-front costs will be less than the cost of a used Harley.

I know, because I did it. Burning car gas, our costs were miniscule.

Despite this, those affordable segments of GA aren't doing any better than the more expensive segments.

So it's not all cost. There's a marketing flaw here, somewhere. We just aren't getting the word out to young people about GA.

I've noticed that too.. If cost were the main issue, then the Sonex would be the dominant homebuilt, not the RV.

Aviation has no popular culture heroes like previous generations did. Sure, we have aviation celebrities like Sean Tucker and Patti Wagstaff who are well known to those of us already drawn to flying, but these days there is no one on the level of Charles Lindbergh, Jimmy Doolittle or Chuck Yeager to inspire youth. I can't even think of any fictional heroes coming out of Hollywood or TV land like there were even in my generation. I had Top Gun and Black Sheep Squadron - both kind of hokey, but both had real heroes and real airplanes!

Those days are gone and are not coming back. Aviation is commonplace these days.

People don't buy airplanes, because you can't go down to the dealer on Saturday, pick one out, and go fly.

First most dealers have no inventory. None are even open on Sat. Many don't want to talk about training, just sell aircraft.

The final blow is when you find one that will help, they point to some old POS 150 and say you need to fly this around for about a year. THEN we'll put you in something a little better.

The wife says, "Hell NO!!!!"

Soooooo… they leave, go down to the boat dealer, buy a Sea Ray, and they're on the water that afternoon. Done deal.

If the amount of training required were what was holding people back, I would think that recreational pilot and sport pilot would be popular. Instead, there are something like 400 new sport pilot ratings issued in the average year.

What about ultralight-style flying like Part 103 fixed-wing ultralights, paragliders, hang gliders, and trikes? Those are cheap to buy and I am also curious how much money does it take to operate a Part 103 fixed-wing ultralight per hour.

This is why I believe we should bring back 2 seat fat ultralights (no I don't mean flying under Sport Pilot regulations). If fat ultralights are regulated also under Part 103 again like they were before and not only just for training purposes, a person technically could in my books take a passenger up for a ride with no training required, although as stated in the regs, training is highly recommended, most likely cheaper than sport pilot training I think. This could bring out the fun that has immediate gratification to it.

Ultralights had their boom time, and it fizzled. Immediate gratification and aviation don't mix well, you do need a reasonable amount of training to not hurt yourself. I flew hanggilders for five years, I don't think there are more than about 7,000 rated hang and paraglider pilots in the US, even though you can get to flying solo at altitude in 8 to 10 days of training, and for less than $1500.

I get the impression that there are many of us here who think the only thing that's limiting aviation's popularity is that the word isn't getting out. I don't think that is correct. It's been my observation is that the overwhelming majority of people aren't interested in aviation at all, and no amount of promotion will make them so.

People have different motivations for flying. I've always been interested, so I got my license as a young adult. Once I got the ticket, I found I didn't have any real use for it, and drifted out. I think it's a neat means of travel, but to just fly around the local area and practice landings didn't hold my attention. Do any of you read "Air Facts Journal"? In one part of his blog, long time Flying magazine editor Richard Collins explains his reason for hanging up his headset. For him, the attraction was to fly the airplane cross country in all kinds of weather, and when he felt he was no longer able to do that, he stopped flying altogether. If I had somewhere to go with the airplane, I'd still be power flying, but since I don't, I'm not likely to go back to it.

I do think that the limiting factor in the popularity of private aviation, in addition to the cost, is that most people have no real use for it. While I do realize that there are some pilots who really enjoy flying locally, I don't think there are all that many, if there were, then I think ultralight flying would still be popular. I do think the attraction for most of us is to use the airplane to go somewhere. There are a number of problems with trying to use a light aircraft for transportation: the weather isn't always cooperative, it's expensive, and any potential passengers may not be too interested in flying.

New Year's Eve a couple of years ago, my family and I went from Atlanta to Nashville to a football game. It's about 250 miles, and we'd only be on the ground for a few hours, so that's a good trip to use a light single. It's about a 3:45 in a car, so let's compare that to a Skyhawk: it's about 30 minutes to the nearest airport, then another 10 minutes in the rental office, say another 10 minutes for a walkaround, five minutes to get everyone aboard, 10 minutes to warm the engine, five minutes to taxi, maybe 15 minutes for takeoff and climb, around two hours enroute, say 20 minutes in the terminal area and approach, five minutes to taxi, maybe 15 minutes to get the airplane tied down and have some fuel arranged, then a 20 minute taxi ride to the stadium. Add all that up and you have three hours point to point.

So, maybe I would enjoy that. Would the other three members of my family? I'm thinking not. It's winter, so the car's a little chilly when we get in, but it warms up in a few minutes. Our Odyssey is roomy and quiet, the airplane is neither. I'd have to get them out of the car and load them into a cold airplane, and then issue everyone headsets. We'd be flying over the Appalachians in a single engined airplane in the winter. And on this particular day, there's a complication: It's solid overcast and there's even a few flurries in Nashville. Now I don't know whether or not I could have gotten on top on that day, but I dare say my passengers wouldn't much care to fly in cloud. It doesn't matter because I've never been instrument rated and so could not have made the trip. On that day, you might need a FIKI equipped plane anyway. Since we already have the car, the incremental cost of driving 500 miles would be about $150 for fuel, depreciation, and maintenance. Five hours in a 172SP would be $750 - $1000, and would only save an hour and a half at most. Since we'd be depending on a taxi to get us back to the airport, we might be stuck at the stadium for a while on the return trip.

I do realize there are some people who could get more utility out of the airplane. Light aircraft are at their best on missions between 200 and 600 miles, particularly if there is good ground transportation at the airport. People who have the money and time for a vacation home and an airplane could put the airplane to good use, as would the manufacturer's rep who travels regionally, visits clients regularly, stays at that client for an extended time, and clears enough income to pay for the airplane. And, of course, operators of aviation themed hospitality businesses who live on islands. :D

Problem is, that's not many people.

I've flown a bit of everything, and only fly paragliders for fun. Money is a part of it, but the reality is GA airplanes are boring. When I used to skydive every weekend I had super cheap access to a C-150 and a C-172. I couldn't be bothered, I'd get an airplane ride, freefall, then canopy flight, airplane putzing after that, meh. Helicopters were fun but flying them is the same as riding a sport bike, if you use any of the capability for fun you have to worry about legal repercussions. Just not worth it. I'm having tons of fun in aviation obscurity and for little money.

New Year's Eve a couple of years ago, my family and I went from Atlanta to Nashville to a football game. It's about 250 miles, and we'd only be on the ground for a few hours, so that's a good trip to use a light single. It's about a 3:45 in a car, so let's compare that to a Skyhawk: it's about 30 minutes to the nearest airport, then another 10 minutes in the rental office, say another 10 minutes for a walkaround, five minutes to get everyone aboard, 10 minutes to warm the engine, five minutes to taxi, maybe 15 minutes for takeoff and climb, around two hours enroute, say 20 minutes in the terminal area and approach, five minutes to taxi, maybe 15 minutes to get the airplane tied down and have some fuel arranged, then a 20 minute taxi ride to the stadium. Add all that up and you have three hours point to point.

I do realize there are some people who could get more utility out of the airplane. Light aircraft are at their best on missions between 200 and 600 miles, particularly if there is good ground transportation at the airport. People who have the money and time for a vacation home and an airplane could put the airplane to good use, as would the manufacturer's rep who travels regionally, visits clients regularly, stays at that client for an extended time, and clears enough income to pay for the airplane. And, of course, operators of aviation themed hospitality businesses who live on islands. :D

Liked your post, you sound somewhat like me. I used to hang glide at Torrey Pines, and other places around SoCal.

I've done the numbers, and as I get older, I find I have less time, and more money, so GA is just now starting to make sense. Back in the 70s and 80s I had all the time in the world, but little money, so I had to tow gliders and banners to get my GA fix.

Now, I'm like your 200-600 mile donut of use. One kid lives 260 miles away, the other is 315. Those are driving miles, and of course the straight line is significant shorter. Also, they are both about 10 minutes from excellent GA airports, and my field is only minutes away. So - I fly to the kids a lot. My driving trip to 260 miles away kid takes between 4.5 and 5 hours from door to door depending on traffic. By plane it's 97 minutes in the air. Add 20 min at each end from door to plane, and I'm still half time from driving. I can fly most year around, and I can stay over a day if needed.

Next, is my regular trips to CO. It's a solid 12.5 hours driving door to door with two stops. By the time I get there, I'm toasted, and all I want to do is get horizontal. By plane, I can get out in 15 min from home and it takes 30 min on the other end to get to the house. Time enroute is 3.6 no wind. Whatever wind I lose going west, I get back going east. I figure a bit over 4 hours total and I don't have to stop for anything. So, for that one, I'm getting a 1/3 reduction. When I get there I'm a bit tired, but ready to go after a bit of water, and some granola bars.

This is why I bought another plane. GA has a use, but you are right, not many people need to make that trip often enough for it to be useful to have a plane. Under 200 miles, unless there's an airport nearby, I drive. Over 700-ish, I just go comm most times. For me, it works well, but I'm not typical.

We have land scattered around the State, and it's a big ol' State.

The 180 is perfect for it.

Instead of driving 11 hours one way to Hereford from Houston, it's three in the 180 and we can land on the ranch and taxi right up to the house. I have to pinch myself sometimes that I'm not dreaming .... GA's a godsend for Texans.

Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone say " I bought my plane to save money." :lol:

Exactly it's an oxymoron!

I say if you love it DO IT! we are all here because we love airplanes. Why would you spend time on a website you hate?

Once I get my PPL, I really haven't decided on what to do after. It was always a dream of mine to learn how to fly. Should I buy an airplane? Rent? I haven't decided that as of yet.

IMO I think what would help GA is alternative fuels and easier maintenance to lower overall costs of ownership. The media will continue to paint a bad picture of flying but there should be something out there about the positives as well because there are many. I find it fun to fly and I've seen some amazing views from up high.

Exactly it's an oxymoron!

I say if you love it DO IT! we are all here because we love airplanes. Why would you spend time on a website you hate?

Once I get my PPL, I really haven't decided on what to do after. It was always a dream of mine to learn how to fly. Should I buy an airplane? Rent? I haven't decided that as of yet.

IMO I think what would help GA is alternative fuels and easier maintenance to lower overall costs of ownership. The media will continue to paint a bad picture of flying but there should be something out there about the positives as well because there are many. I find it fun to fly and I've seen some amazing views from up high.

Absolutely, if you love it, that's all the reason you need. But when people ask why GA flying isn't more popular, the reasons are that its cost excludes most people and of those who can afford it, most of them have no need for it.

Me, I just like flying motorless. I'm out of the hang glider because I can't find enough time to stay proficient, but am planning on going sailplane flying in a few years when my daughters are out of high school.

I've noticed that too.. If cost were the main issue, then the Sonex would be the dominant homebuilt, not the RV.

Those days are gone and are not coming back. Aviation is commonplace these days.

If the amount of training required were what was holding people back, I would think that recreational pilot and sport pilot would be popular. Instead, there are something like 400 new sport pilot ratings issued in the average year.

Ultralights had their boom time, and it fizzled. Immediate gratification and aviation don't mix well, you do need a reasonable amount of training to not hurt yourself. I flew hanggilders for five years, I don't think there are more than about 7,000 rated hang and paraglider pilots in the US, even though you can get to flying solo at altitude in 8 to 10 days of training, and for less than $1500.

I get the impression that there are many of us here who think the only thing that's limiting aviation's popularity is that the word isn't getting out. I don't think that is correct. ...

People who have the money and time for a vacation home and an airplane could put the airplane to good use, as would the manufacturer's rep who travels regionally, visits clients regularly, stays at that client for an extended time, and clears enough income to pay for the airplane. And, of course, operators of aviation themed hospitality businesses who live on islands. :D

Great post. Spot on IMO. What limited utility GA offers, either people can't afford, or really don't need. That's why I believe the vast majority of us are hobbyists.

I have read that a lot of folks, once they solo, then quit training and never get the license. I'm not a CFI, so I can't say I know this is a fact. However, if true, it suggests that people are attracted to flight, but once they feel they have mastered the skill to take to the skies and then return safely, they see little practical use for this new skill. It gets added to the list of life time accomplishments and only comes up at dinner parties.

Not much can be done to keep these people flying I suspect it is what it is.

It is a shame IMO that acrobatic instruction isn't more accessible. Like sailplanes, it's just one of those things that's just not done at most neighborhood airports.

I have read that a lot of folks, once they solo, then quit training and never get the license. I'm not a CFI, so I can't say I know this is a fact. However, if true, it suggests that people are attracted to flight, but once they feel they have mastered the skill to take to the skies and then return safely, they see little practical use for this new skill. It gets added to the list of life time accomplishments and only comes up at dinner parties.

Not much can be done to keep these people flying I suspect it is what it is.

It is a shame IMO that acrobatic instruction isn't more accessible. Like sailplanes, it's just one of those things that's just not done at most neighborhood airports.
Agreed. Taking aerobatics lessons changed flying for us. If it were more available, it would truly attract a different crowd to aviation.

It might also freshen up some of you guys who claim to be bored by throwing yourself bodily through the skies. ;)

Acro was exciting. I did acro from my third lesson. We did rolls on the way out to work on ground ref. The examiner and I wore chutes on my check ride, and when she told me I passed, I asked her if she minded a few rolls to celebrate. She was fine with that.

Might bring in a certain demographic, but might also keep a different one away. The direction our country is going with everyone these days having a mangina, I can imagine that fewer real guys are out there to be interested.

Remember, there is a depression on. At least if you are one of the 94 million out of the workforce. Or one of the 70 million below the poverty line.

Those of us lucky enough to have the time and means to do this are indeed lucky.

So to sum it up,

I know you folks are thinking that the future of GA doesn't look too good and there are some valid points posted here. Nobody on this site has a crystal ball though and one or two inventions could change the whole GA market. I see a lot of GA activity on the weekends here in St. Pete Florida. For me it's available right now and I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.

Who is with me?

Ah, all the gripers. If aviation was booming, it would be more CROWDED. Who wants that? So long as there are lots of airports and they sell fuel, Im good to go.

I'm 31 years old and have had my PPL for 2 years now. I knew it was expensive when i got into it, but the love i have for aviation trumped everything else. People say I have a smile on my face like a kid in a toy store when i go flying and it's true. No matter the cost, i will find a way to go up and enjoy the world from a height many can't say they can do.

My goal in life is to become a Heliocopter pilot. 1st i want to fly for the agency i work for, then last i want to fly for a medical hospital. I will die a happy man when this happens.

As a young guy into aviation (solo at 17 1/2, license at 18 in 2008), money is the problem. The amount of money it'd take for me to get airborne again and back into training for ratings is just too much. Even having a parental PPL grant and most of college to boot, I'm still not nearly well off enough financially to get a medical comfortably, much less any hours or ratings despite being debt-free (very fortunately).

Work has been hard to find in this economy, even applying places for the last 5-6 months straight I hadn't gotten a single call back from anywhere except one interview request from Jo-Ann's fabrics, one from an internship in Aspen, and one from Shawnee airport (which I got), in that order. I started applying to FAA positions and airport positions and gradually had to widen my search to places like jo-ann's fabrics because unemployment was running out quickly.

I've not been around for the 'good times' of economy and the workforce, I'm only 23. Embry-Riddle Aero Univ's classes were 675/class (9 weeks) when I started college and 975/class when I finished out last month. I could barely contribute towards my parental grant with my last job even at 14/hour.

And looking at the ratings and cost to fly today, I don't think I can possibly make it to my Commercial anytime soon so I can start making even more lackluster pay as a low-time pilot. Currently being paid 10/hr part time at the airport, and that's to build up a resume so that companies will actually look at my application seriously. I can pay bills and rent on that, but for right now that's about it.

"I need a job to get experience, to get money, to get a job, to get experience to..."

My contribution is that it's too expensive for me to go out and get airborne again as a young college graduate, even without debt, in this economy.

As a young guy into aviation (solo at 17 1/2, license at 18 in 2008), money is the problem. The amount of money it'd take for me to get airborne again and back into training for ratings is just too much. Even having a parental PPL grant and most of college to boot, I'm still not nearly well off enough financially to get a medical comfortably, much less any hours or ratings despite being debt-free (very fortunately).

Work has been hard to find in this economy, even applying places for the last 5-6 months straight I hadn't gotten a single call back from anywhere except one interview request from Jo-Ann's fabrics, one from an internship in Aspen, and one from Shawnee airport (which I got), in that order. I started applying to FAA positions and airport positions and gradually had to widen my search to places like jo-ann's fabrics because unemployment was running out quickly.

I've not been around for the 'good times' of economy and the workforce, I'm only 23. Embry-Riddle Aero Univ's classes were 675/class (9 weeks) when I started college and 975/class when I finished out last month. I could barely contribute towards my parental grant with my last job even at 14/hour.

And looking at the ratings and cost to fly today, I don't think I can possibly make it to my Commercial anytime soon so I can start making even more lackluster pay as a low-time pilot. Currently being paid 10/hr part time at the airport, and that's to build up a resume so that companies will actually look at my application seriously. I can pay bills and rent on that, but for right now that's about it.

"I need a job to get experience, to get money, to get a job, to get experience to..."

My contribution is that it's too expensive for me to go out and get airborne again as a young college graduate, even without debt, in this economy.

I hear ya!

What is your goal in flying? would you like to get into the airlines? If you do you want to start as early as possible. It's much, much tougher to get in when you are older so start now.

It being too expensive is just an obstacle to overcome. Many people on this forum have beaten that and then some, (Some also had medical conditions, and family issues to overcome as well).

I'm a firm believer that you never get what you want but you will always get what you need to have at all costs.

Good luck to you,

I hear ya!

What is your goal in flying? would you like to get into the airlines? If you do you want to start as early as possible. It's much, much tougher to get in when you are older so start now.

It being too expensive is just an obstacle to overcome. Many people on this forum have beaten that and then some, (Some also had medical conditions, and family issues to overcome as well).

I'm a firm believer that you never get what you want but you will always get what you need to have at all costs.

Good luck to you,

To be honest, the airlines don't seem like my kind of thing. I'm thinking something along the lines of corporate jet pilot / bush pilot / crop duster... the more challenging or more personal ones. I'm pretty sure that the more I fly, the more I'll experience in different aircraft to help pinpoint exactly what it is I'd like to do in them. Flying is fun hands down, it just feels like such a huge amount of effort and money to get the rock rolling to only have it roll much slower at first. I'm trying to work on a career in something aviation related to be able to fall back on between pilot jobs if that's the case, or as a main source of stable income to be able to fly for training and leisure. Airport operations is a pretty good amount of fun so far, I haven't looked at the clock yet and asked myself "how much more of this do I have to stand" so that's great.

There's a guy at the field who's 20 years old and already building hours dropping skydivers with 300 hours or so. Makes me feel ancient for someone like that to be ahead of me so far down the aviation pipeline. Dad keeps telling me to get my medical but if I can't afford to fly after that, especially for hire, what's the point? Even if it expires in 5 or so years for young guys like me.

Dude go get a gov't job. Cop or firefighter if they pay well in your part of the world, any old thing if not. Live cheap, no drinking in bars, no car loans, start flying right away, but don't worry about rushing. Because you have 20 years. By your mid forties you'll have accumulated enough CFI/part time gigs to get a real(nonairline) flying job. Plus you'll be retired from the gov with sweet bennies. Yeah I know if Ayn read this she'd roll in her grave, but hey it is the rational thing to do. Maximizes achieving personal goals. Screw the empire, might as well bleed it dry everyone else is.
To be honest, the airlines don't seem like my kind of thing. I'm thinking something along the lines of corporate jet pilot / bush pilot / crop duster... the more challenging or more personal ones. I'm pretty sure that the more I fly, the more I'll experience in different aircraft to help pinpoint exactly what it is I'd like to do in them. Flying is fun hands down, it just feels like such a huge amount of effort and money to get the rock rolling to only have it roll much slower at first. I'm trying to work on a career in something aviation related to be able to fall back on between pilot jobs if that's the case, or as a main source of stable income to be able to fly for training and leisure. Airport operations is a pretty good amount of fun so far, I haven't looked at the clock yet and asked myself "how much more of this do I have to stand" so that's great.

There's a guy at the field who's 20 years old and already building hours dropping skydivers with 300 hours or so. Makes me feel ancient for someone like that to be ahead of me so far down the aviation pipeline. Dad keeps telling me to get my medical but if I can't afford to fly after that, especially for hire, what's the point? Even if it expires in 5 or so years for young guys like me.

Dude go get a gov't job. Cop or firefighter if they pay well in your part of the world, any old thing if not. Live cheap, no drinking in bars, no car loans, start flying right away, but don't worry about rushing. Because you have 20 years. By your mid forties you'll have accumulated enough CFI/part time gigs to get a real(nonairline) flying job. Plus you'll be retired from the gov with sweet bennies. Yeah I know if Ayn read this she'd roll in her grave, but hey it is the rational thing to do. Maximizes achieving personal goals. Screw the empire, might as well bleed it dry everyone else is.
That's the most depressing thing I've read in a while.

Sadly, I can find no flaw in your logic. :(

True, I suppose. I haven't really considered or wanted to do anything like fire or police work, it sounds incredibly rough and tumble for that money. I've been living relatively cheap and nursing on my income instead of blowing it all every paycheck. No credit card purchases unless I can afford the item and pay it back immediately to start building credit. I tried the FAA but all they've been looking for out here are inspectors which requires a ton of hours and experience already. I'm not a bar kind of person and I don't have any car loans either. Winds are light and variable and I just need the engine power to get to V1, you know? Feels more like time and effort in this case to get the necessary funds to get going.

It's rational, but I still don't like the thought of taking advantage as much. I was uncomfortable enough on unemployment and thought I'd be off it so quickly that it wouldn't matter. 6 months and maxed benefits later, I barely got a job in time, in the right place to start too. (I think so anyway).

CFI is a route I've been eyeing pretty favorably - I think it'd be a great place to learn more and reinforce that understanding and practice it regularly, plus teach some willing students and also scare me half to death! Yet another certification though.

Imagine that, an employer who wants experience and training.

I hope you 'find' yourself sometime, and it's in aviation - cuz that's what you really, really wanna do.

I 'found' myself -- at 14 years old, working in a sweaty, noisy, smelly tire recap factory putting caps on old used up tires. Never took a days unemployment since.

To be honest, the airlines don't seem like my kind of thing. I'm thinking something along the lines of corporate jet pilot / bush pilot / crop duster... the more challenging or more personal ones. I'm pretty sure that the more I fly, the more I'll experience in different aircraft to help pinpoint exactly what it is I'd like to do in them.
My advice, which is worth what you just paid for it, would be to try for a ground-based job at a company which does something that interests you. You would make contacts plus you could observe what some of these industries are like. They might be different from what you imagine.

Imagine that, an employer who wants experience and training.

I hope you 'find' yourself sometime, and it's in aviation - cuz that's what you really, really wanna do.

I 'found' myself -- at 14 years old, working in a sweaty, noisy, smelly tire recap factory putting caps on old used up tires. Never took a days unemployment since.

Fair enough that they want people with experience and training, but if everyone with an entry level job posting wants prior experience, how are people going to get the experience in the first place :dunno: so much for "entry level". And the places that I've applied where I do meet the criteria they're looking for, I either can't get a hold of anyone, don't get a reply, or get a call back saying they chose someone else over me.

Also I kind of got let go suddenly at the last job before unemployment. My finances were already medium-low and fast food wasn't going to pay the bills. Oklahoma wanted to pay me to find a job of with comparable role and pay and hours, and pay me to do it. Shrug. I wasn't very comfortable doing it and I didn't take advantage of it. Ended up running out just as I got hired here at the airport.

My advice, which is worth what you just paid for it, would be to try for a ground-based job at a company which does something that interests you. You would make contacts plus you could observe what some of these industries are like. They might be different from what you imagine.

That's the thinking I had with airport operations. You see a lot of pilots, you meet a good number of tenants, learn about aircraft and be around them all day. It's true I would like to fly for a living, but seeing the other side of the operation instead of just flying in and out is a pretty great perspective on the whole thing. Plus it turns out that I'm not actually that bad at it.

I keep wondering why folks think they're supposed to like their job when it comes to those first jobs you do to reach a goal of a better job or life.

I didn't like working overnights as a paper pusher for a conference call company. I didn't like working as a busboy or dishwasher. I didn't like sitting in a box at a gas station taking money and making change. It was a means to an end.

I learned to make those things fun, no doubt about it. Plenty of other people at every job to meet, hang out with, share life with, maybe a beer and a meal from time to time. Fun. But no plan to stay in those jobs forever.

I do know this. While you're fretting about what to do and posting on the Internet about it, someone else is working as a paper pusher, busboy, dish washer, and gas station attendant and spending their other time flying and kicking your butt, since their logbook is having new lines written in it faster than yours.

Tough love man, bottom line is, if you want it bad enough you'll do something about it today. Goals. The means aren't really that important. Circumstances will change and you'll have to change tactics at least a few times along the way, anyway.

Set a goal , write it down, go make it happen. Who cares how? Only you.

I keep wondering why folks think they're supposed to like their job when it comes to those first jobs you do to reach a goal of a better job or life.

I didn't like working overnights as a paper pusher for a conference call company. I didn't like working as a busboy or dishwasher. I didn't like sitting in a box at a gas station taking money and making change. It was a means to an end.

I learned to make those things fun, no doubt about it. Plenty of other people at every job to meet, hang out with, share life with, maybe a beer and a meal from time to time. Fun. But no plan to stay in those jobs forever.

I do know this. While you're fretting about what to do and posting on the Internet about it, someone else is working as a paper pusher, busboy, dish washer, and gas station attendant and spending their other time flying and kicking your butt, since their logbook is having new lines written in it faster than yours.

Tough love man, bottom line is, if you want it bad enough you'll do something about it today. Goals. The means aren't really that important. Circumstances will change and you'll have to change tactics at least a few times along the way, anyway.

Set a goal , write it down, go make it happen. Who cares how? Only you.

I agree on all points... but I don't dislike my new job :dunno:

I didn't like Braum's (fast food) much either, but I stuck with it until I found a better job and gave them two weeks notice to boot, something I didn't see anyone else do while I was there. Not sure I'm fretting except just tossing my two cents into the post about GA. Voicing my concerns about where I'm going and what it's looking like too. I'm still on the way to something better aviation wise too - not like I'm stopped overall just complaining about how hard it is either. To boot, dishwashing or gas station attendants probably only make minimum wage - full time on those a month here at 7.25/hr with tax brings in less than 1000/mo, half of which goes to rent alone. Then food...etc, you know how it is. And that's assuming full time work too :dunno: not saying impossible, but even at $14/hr at the sales job I was burning over half of it in fuel and rent per month even with a 30mpg car.

Nonetheless, a motivational post at its core and I appreciate that. :yes: my goal has been "get a better job" instead of "fly X hours by X date". I'd prefer to be able to have enough to get my instrument and commercial in one go with a small emergency windfall left over in my savings in case of life emergencies. Right now I'm at the emergencies level plus what comes in per check. Looking to find another part time job to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:
It's not a marketing flaw that holds GA back, it's a reality flaw. The reality is it is not particularly practical except in a very small set of circumstances, and is cost effective in an even smaller subset. Light aircraft are not particularly comfortable and they scare the crap out of most people. Once the challenge of learning to fly has been met, GA really only works for a very few people. Some are smitten with the activity so they do it anyway even though it has no financial or practical value. Most of the rest quit flying after they get their tickets.

Boats and R.V.'s are not practical either. R.V. and boat sales are picking up here in Florida. These "busses" are not practical they drink a ton of Gas, they are slow and you can only get into certain cities with it. Boats you can use them only when weather is favorable, they don't travel very fast and you can get only to certain places with it. Yet people still buy both items and maintaining them is tough too, (Especially boats).

GA is for people that really love it and I wouldn't have it any other way!

GA is fine and it will still be around long after we are gone so why worry about it?

Here's the bottom line:

Yes flying is expensive, but there are lots of people out there with disposable income who would love to fly.

But learning to fly is hard, takes persistence, willingness to jump through lots of hoops, time, study, work.

There are thousands of other things that are a lot easier and more easily attainable.

Is flying worth the effort? IMO, yes. In the opinion of most others, no.

If it was easy and cheap everyone would be doing it and you guys would all be complaining about it being CROWDED!

If it was easy and cheap everyone would be doing it and you guys would all be complaining about it being CROWDED!

There is a happy medium.

I would like to find a way to keep all of our local airports in the system, and that means we need more pilots. Right now, vast numbers of these airports have been virtually abandoned. It cannot be much longer before we see many of them succumb to the pressure from local townsfolk who want to use that land productively.

Once an airport closes, it never returns.

Back