Starting training in 1 week!

...and did OK in 45 (still working on keeping the altitude precise while in that steep bank, but getting close).

A tip here is to add enough nose up trim so that you don't have a heavy pull to maintain altitude.

Also, just before you begin your turn, take a mental sight picture snapshot of where the spinner is relative to the horizon, then keep it there. Alternatively, once in a 45° bank, memorize where the horizon touches the glareshield and keep it there. If your nose drops or rises, the horizon will "move out of position". Alter your pitch as appropriate.

I concur on the comment that the G1000 equipped plan isn't the best of choices for primary training. As stated, too much to learn at this stage for little gain.

IMO, training with round dials is more appropriate since the newly minted PPL is more likely to encounter those in both the rental and first time purchase fleet.

Can you find a cheaper rental? Also 60 is a little high for CFIs, 50hr is standard.

When you get past 30 degrees, the ailerons are useful for altitude control: More bank dumps lift, less bank increases lift. For the steep bank task on the checkride you get plus-or-minus five degrees in a 45-degree bank. Doesn't take much change of bank angle to change altitude.

Bob Gardner

Thanks Bob, that's a good tip I'll use next time. I kept rudder coordination pretty good, but have to get used to how fast the heading indicator twirls in a 45 to time my exit, while keeping my eyes on the horizon to keep attitude where i need it.

G1000?

Well, to each his own. I don't think that's a very good choice for a primary trainer. Lots of learning curve with little benefit for VFR flight.

And they are HEAVY. A G1000 172 with full fuel is barely a two adult aircraft. Steam gauge 172s can usually fit three (older ones better than newer -- autopilots are heavy).

I'm proficient in G1000 for VFR and I'm working on IFR. No way I would have wanted to tackle that as a student pilot. Even now, I fly G1000 only when I have to, because of the weight issue.

Agree 100%, but my school has 1 6 pack 172 and 3 G1000's, so my ability to schedule planes was better on the G1000. It does cost me $30/hr more, but it lets me find slots to fly more easily.

Seattle is just expensive, but aviation is alive and well here.

My home airport is where Boeing shoves finished 737's onto the tarmac to send off to customers.

IT was funny to watch them take off on the opposite orientation to what the rest of us used, as I guess that a 12 kts wind doesn't affect them.

They departed to the north with a 12 kts tailwind while the rest of traffic was departing south, into the wind. IT was probably noise abatement, as the north departure takes you out over the water instead of over residential areas.

A tip here is to add enough nose up trim so that you don't have a heavy pull to maintain altitude.

Also, just before you begin your turn, take a mental sight picture snapshot of where the spinner is relative to the horizon, then keep it there. Alternatively, once in a 45° bank, memorize where the horizon touches the glareshield and keep it there. If your nose drops or rises, the horizon will "move out of position". Alter your pitch as appropriate.

thanks Mike, I'll use that as well as take a visual marker on the heading that I'm going to want to roll out on, so i dont' really need to reference the instruments

thanks Mike, I'll use that as well as take a visual marker on the heading that I'm going to want to roll out on, so i dont' really need to reference the instruments

A quick glance at the instrument is okay and usually permitted. Just don't fixate.

What's fun when learning this maneuver is feeling the slight turbulence when you make the full circle and fly through your own wake.

Another tip. Don't continuously do this maneuver trying to perfect it without sufficient straight and level breaks between attempts. I tried it that way and really tumbled my inner gyro, necessitating a quick landing and a run behind a hangar to offload my breakfast.

Agree 100%, but my school has 1 6 pack 172 and 3 G1000's, so my ability to schedule planes was better on the G1000. It does cost me $30/hr more, but it lets me find slots to fly more easily.

Seattle is just expensive, but aviation is alive and well here.

My home airport is where Boeing shoves finished 737's onto the tarmac to send off to customers.

IT was funny to watch them take off on the opposite orientation to what the rest of us used, as I guess that a 12 kts wind doesn't affect them.

They departed to the north with a 12 kts tailwind while the rest of traffic was departing south, into the wind. IT was probably noise abatement, as the north departure takes you out over the water instead of over residential areas.

Fly with the glass and don't look back.

Fly with the glass and don't look back.

Why? Glass airplanes fly the same as steam, but they cost more, weigh more, and add a ton of complexity that isn't very useful for a VFR pilot.

Don't claim it's "the future," 'cause the G1000 isn't unless the future comes before 2020. All those modular LRU's aren't really all that modular…. But steam gauge aircraft can be upgraded.

If the cost starts to get prohibitive, just remember that renting a G1000 aircraft at a big field from a flight school is probably the most expensive way to go 115 knots in a C172.

It sounds like you know that and are okay with it. Flight schools can be worth the premium if they are well run - you'll get good training on your schedule with an instructor who is likely full-time and therefore more available.

Just FYI- once you get your PPL, definitely explore other ways to fly for less $$ or to stretch that $$ further and fly better/faster aircraft.

If the cost starts to get prohibitive, just remember that renting a G1000 aircraft at a big field from a flight school is probably the most expensive way to go 115 knots in a C172.

It sounds like you know that and are okay with it. Flight schools can be worth the premium if they are well run - you'll get good training on your schedule with an instructor who is likely full-time and therefore more available.

Just FYI- once you get your PPL, definitely explore other ways to fly for less $$ or to stretch that $$ further and fly better/faster aircraft.

Yes, would love to buy, but the spouse is not OK with that right now. I'd likely buy a Cherokee 235, six, or possibly even an Aztec (all less expensive than buying a 172 and also less expensive per hour than my fligth school rental 172) and just learn in that, but we've got other family commitments for money right now.

My hope is to buy or partner on a plane in a couple of years, hopefully before starting IR.

Back