Starting training in 1 week!

MIFlyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MIFlyer
So, convinced my wife that I should do this, and I'll do my first meeting/flight with my instructor next week.

I'm focusing on getting to solo while the weather is still good, and trying to fly 2-3x/week until PPL if possible.

I'm reading stick and rudder, PoA, and the Rob Machado PPL book.

What can I do to be as prepared as possible for each lesson to maximize the value I get out of a $130/hr plane (glass 172) and $60/hr instructor?

I will get the syllabus from him when we meet the first time and will also get a login to the Jepp ground school they use.

Thanks!

If you're itching that hard, what are you waiting for?

Not much you can do to "prepare." Just fly.

Hi, I did the discovery flight, and that's what sold the wife on me doing it.

So now i'm back to start real lessons, and it happens that they started me with a different CFI. The discovery flight was pretty chill, with not real maneauvers (just turns, climbs, descents,etc)

No landings (I did the T/O, but he managed most of the rudder input on top of my inputs).

So next week is my birthday, and the first day off i have (we're travellign this weekend, or i'd start then).

I'll just keep reading the stuff I have and then show up ready.

After I get a syllabus, i'll study ahead like CPO did to make the most of my time at the airport.

Before you get too far along you may want to get your medical, or st least read up on the medical process.

After that, have fun!! Remember to never stop learning.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, the medical first - if you haven't done it already. The only thing that I will add is this. I wish I would have asked for more "practical" training. Yes, you need to know the rules and regs and have good stick and rudder instincts, but I think the "real world" scenarios get lost somewhere and I wish I would have asked for more of that.
Fly often, fly well and learn on your own when you're not in the air!

thanks! my hope is to buy into a partnership in a year or so (after getting PPL in 172), so I'll get lots of extra hours during the transition with CFI (insurance will want 25 dual before i can take the new plane, so I'll work on instrument training, mountain flying and some of these enhancements to stick and rudder).

Medical is in the works. I have OSA so will need an SI and am getting the records/etc organized for that so i can get issued in AME office. I'm also iffy on ishtara plates, so will probably have to take the "night" restriction and then do the soda (I can do the lights fine).

Any good AME in Seattle area?

Yes, the medical first - if you haven't done it already. The only thing that I will add is this. I wish I would have asked for more "practical" training. Yes, you need to know the rules and regs and have good stick and rudder instincts, but I think the "real world" scenarios get lost somewhere and I wish I would have asked for more of that.
Fly often, fly well and learn on your own when you're not in the air!

PS Schmidt, what are some of the things you'd wished your CFI had spent time with you on? SPins? Take off management? Cross wind landings?

Hey, there is a little more than 'just fly'. Not to overwhelm, but you have the FAR/AIM to gloss through. Get a current chart of your area and study away, symbols, airspace and the rest.

Look over the questions for the PP computer test. You will need the PP maneuvers study books. Most any good PP book should lead you through what you need to know.

Show up prepared for the lesson. If you were able you could fly a bit on the side, if you have any connections. Sign up for the free Duat(s) account, learn about flight plans and weather.

Just a few more I thought about. If you don't have an AOPA membership I'd at least sign up for the free 'student' membership. With the number you get $10 off when you pay for the PP test.

I'd look on line and print off the specs on the plane you will train in. The 'V' speeds may be slightly different on the exact one you use, adjust later. Get a feel for fuel burn, time, and trip planning.

The more pertinent the discussion in the briefs, the quicker you move along.

Last edited:
Its a fun journey! My advise will be to stick with it. There will be times you may want to give up and get very frustrated. Keep moving ahead! Good luck!!

Sounds like you have a plan,go fly good luck on your ppl.

PS Schmidt, what are some of the things you'd wished your CFI had spent time with you on? SPins? Take off management? Cross wind landings?

No, not maneuvers or training syllabus material - other than spin training, that should have always stayed part of the training - more along the lines of things like details about CHT and EGT. Lean of peak (LOP), Rich of Peak (ROP). Basic engine management was included, but it's the heart of the airplane and I didn't feel like I was "informed" enough. Things like what does 5 miles look like from 4k? How can you tell if a cloud is 500' or 1000' away?
Now, you should know that I went to a Part 141 school, where the goal is to really make a professional pilot that will be flying with instruction for a lengthy period. Whereas I'm just a PPL and ended up learning, and more importantly understanding a lot of that information after my certification.

The last thing that I wish they taught in any flight school is emotional compartmentalization. I can't tell you how many times I've heard stories like "...so we're doing engine out lessons and once we got into cruise I pulled the fuel shutoff, my student panicked, let go of the controls and threw their hands up in the air!" I guess I was lucky in that I played multiple sports my entire young life, so fear, pain and emotional management was learned very early for me. Unfortunately I don't see that very often and it concerns me every time I fly with a pilot I don't know yet.

People freaking out in the airplane and steepening an overshot base to final are my biggest concerns when riding with other pilots. That's why I always scoot my seat into position even in the right side and am always "at the ready". It's not a control thing, it's a "just in case you decide to spaz the hell out if something goes wrong, I'm ready."

Don't study anything yet. Enjoy the ride and keep your eyes outside!

Yes, yes this! I learned on G1000's and I LOVED looking at the panels. LOOK OUTSIDE they said! It sucks when you can disable the AHRS with a simple push of the finger these days. Boy that fixed that problem fast!

Once you get a "feel" of how you move through the air by looking outside, the way you fly will never be the same. That's when I really fell in love with flying and really started to appreciate it. I was in an Aviat Husky, the door was wide open, we were 500 AGL and I just slowly banked side to side and felt every little wisp of air and how it held me in the sky. Truly spectacular feeling.

Last edited:
A note on the OSA SI, this is something the docs must defer to OKC.

In the past, the really good AME's like Dr. Bruce Chien would use their hard won respect with the senior FAA docs to submit info ahead of your visit and then get an approval to issue over the phone.

But alas, them days is over and telephone approvals are not allowed for third class medical school.

What can help is getting all of the right info properly prepared for your AME to submit to OKC so that the low level reviewers can approve the submission.

Speak to either your AME or the AOPA pilot info center on what your packet needs to have, what the doctor's cover letter must say, and then go get that.

Big hint, don't let the doc have access to the medical thesaurus and limit use of words more than three syllables. This needs to be readable by the non-doctor reviewer for the to have a chance to be quickly approved.

Ps. I also have the OSA SI.

I also have OSA SI. Bruce Chien is my AME. You may want to engage him for a consult PRIOR to meeting an AME. He may know someone in your area. You can PM me for his email.

Interesting. Dr. C suggested I could get in office SI if I brought a note from my sleep doc. Let me go re-read his note to make sure i got it right.

Interesting. Dr. C suggested I could get in office SI if I brought a note from my sleep doc. Let me go re-read his note to make sure i got it right.

It may also depend on the quality of the AME. Few have the understanding of the system that he does and are just deferral machines.

If Bruce says yes to office issuance if you bring all the right documentation, then it's to you to find the AME who thinks like he does.

Alternatively, make the flight to Peoria and have Bruce handle things. Many here have made that pilgrimage and are happy they did so.

From a new'ish student pilot myself, I can say keeping your eyes outside is very important. While the gauges are your friend, you will be working with them plenty later on. Until you get the feel of keeping your attitude based on visual reference, the gauges are just a distraction.

Stick and Rudder is a great book to start reading to keep your mind involved with flying. It will explain a lot about using your throttle, stick and rudder. This book and the one I mention below speaks a lot about Torque and P-Factor, stalls, mushing, etc.

The best book I've found so far for testing references is the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. The free PDF book is at this link. Download it to your phone or tablet to bring with you on your trip. Reading chapters 1-4 will help you out a lot while you are getting started with your instruction. Your instructor will be asking questions from there. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

Definitely get your Class 3 Medical out of the way. You will also need it to solo.

PHAK (and the Airplane Flying Handbook) is the "horse's mouth."

For the engineering types, a much better book is Denker's, and it's also free. http://www.av8n.com/how/

Honestly, though, before touching a yoke, this really is getting FAR ahead of you. The medical is important. Getting some stick time is even more important. While attacking it completely cold is not terribly advisable, it's not realistic to expect to know everything first. It just ain't gonna happen.

PHAK (and the Airplane Flying Handbook) is the "horse's mouth."

For the engineering types, a much better book is Denker's, and it's also free. http://www.av8n.com/how/

Honestly, though, before touching a yoke, this really is getting FAR ahead of you. The medical is important. Getting some stick time is even more important. While attacking it completely cold is not terribly advisable, it's not realistic to expect to know everything first. It just ain't gonna happen.

I agree with MAKG1 on John Denker's online book. Absolutely the most transparent discussion of aerodynamics in existence.

Bob Gardner

one of the things I always told my students while I was instructing, and it held true for me even through my airline training was never get to far ahead. Focus on the task at hand, the next lesson and master it. Then move on. If you get to far ahead you will miss the building blocks and foundation for what comes next.

whew! had my lesson. Good instructor, did quite a bit of ground school before flight, went out to fly. Instructor took first lap around the pattern with my ghosting the controls.

He says we're coming in for a touch and go, and it'll be my controls for the TO. But, the plane has an oopsie and the brakes lock up on landing, so we chatter down the runway until we slow down and then they stop being locked up. Using ADM, we decide to have the shop look at it before going again, so that was the end of the flight lesson. We then completed some additional post brief and talked about the next steps/lessons.

Dissapointing, and i'm excited, but nervous to get out there and actually build some muscle flying the plane and getting a feel for it. it's pretty foreign right now.

Here's a worthwhile freebee for you to download. It's a 70-page ebook that will answer just about any question you might have.

www.FreeFlyBook.com

No signup or email required.

whew! had my lesson. Good instructor, did quite a bit of ground school before flight, went out to fly. Instructor took first lap around the pattern with my ghosting the controls.

He says we're coming in for a touch and go, and it'll be my controls for the TO. But, the plane has an oopsie and the brakes lock up on landing, so we chatter down the runway until we slow down and then they stop being locked up. Using ADM, we decide to have the shop look at it before going again, so that was the end of the flight lesson. We then completed some additional post brief and talked about the next steps/lessons.

Dissapointing, and i'm excited, but nervous to get out there and actually build some muscle flying the plane and getting a feel for it. it's pretty foreign right now.

What type of aircraft?

The best thing you can do to succeed is fly twice a week. The job and family obligations (and usually $$$) getting in the way will be the most difficult part. Don't be one of those guys who has 20hrs and gets side tracked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It did have flat spots when we parked it and filed the squawk. Neither of us were touching the brake controls...

I was wondering about that, I don't get on the brakes for touch and go. Strange.

It did have flat spots when we parked it and filed the squawk. Neither of us were touching the brake controls...

You sure about that?

I discovered during my primary training that I was quite capable of actuating 172 brakes with my heels on the floor.

Anything new feels rather foreign, keep it up.

thanks, that's my main concern is getting "Good" at it so it feels like a natural way to move about.

the next two lessons will be all my controls and after two hours of it, i suspect i'll be more confident with the controls.

PS, Cherokee 6 felt easier to control. Not lighter, but more like driving a car compared to pushing a feather through the air

All PA28s are much more forgiving than 172s in several ways. Not the least of which is that they are much more roll-stable. Not just the 6.

I'd suggest training in the one that most resembles what you'll fly afterward. I find I very seldom use low wings for sightseeing, or Pipers for high altitude. That's why my instrument training is being done in a 172, instead of an Archer.

The plane will do what you command it to do. Don't baby the controls, be smooth, and stay coordinated. It will all come in time.

PoA'er Bob Gardner's book Say Again Please. Gave me a good understanding of comms. Highly recommend that along with listening to Live ATC feeds.

http://www.amazon.com/Say-Again-Please-Guide-Communications/dp/1560277602

When you start studying for the knowledge test highly recommend ASA prepware. I used the book to learn and study and also bought the on-line app which you can use to study specific areas or take a sample test. The questions, and I just took the knowledge test back in June, are exactly what were on the exam. There are a lot of high dollar prep offerings available, but if you are self motivated to learn this is all you will need.

http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2016-Private-Pilot-P2223C9.aspx

http://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-Online-P1958.aspx

Also take a look at the Complete Private Pilot by Bob Gardner. I found it to be a great tool.

Last edited:
OK, with work/family/spouse, it took a little while to get back out there (not fear, simply logistics), but went up Saturday in 12 G20 conditions. Had the CFI do TO/Landing due to the wind, but we went and did climbs, descents, and all three types of turns. I nailed 10, 20, 30 degree turns and did OK in 45 (still working on keeping the altitude precise while in that steep bank, but getting close.

It was awesome to actually fly the plane and accomplish something. I feel I did pretty well for my first real time at the controls and the instructor was happy with my progress on turns. A little more refinement to stay within standards on the turns WRT altitude an exiting steep turns on the right heading.

Lots of fun, i have all of my lessons through solo on the calendar now, so weather/plane/etc permitting, I should be solo in about 4 weeks (flying 2-3 times per week between now and then and getting my medical + SI done).

Plane was G1000 180HP 172

PS: I recommend the Jeppeson ground course. It is dry, but is working for me to help me learn things in a structured way. YMMV

OK, with work/family/spouse, it took a little while to get back out there (not fear, simply logistics), but went up Saturday in 12 G20 conditions. Had the CFI do TO/Landing due to the wind, but we went and did climbs, descents, and all three types of turns. I nailed 10, 20, 30 degree turns and did OK in 45 (still working on keeping the altitude precise while in that steep bank, but getting close.

It was awesome to actually fly the plane and accomplish something. I feel I did pretty well for my first real time at the controls and the instructor was happy with my progress on turns. A little more refinement to stay within standards on the turns WRT altitude an exiting steep turns on the right heading.

Lots of fun, i have all of my lessons through solo on the calendar now, so weather/plane/etc permitting, I should be solo in about 4 weeks (flying 2-3 times per week between now and then and getting my medical + SI done).

Plane was G1000 180HP 172

PS: I recommend the Jeppeson ground course. It is dry, but is working for me to help me learn things in a structured way. YMMV

When you get past 30 degrees, the ailerons are useful for altitude control: More bank dumps lift, less bank increases lift. For the steep bank task on the checkride you get plus-or-minus five degrees in a 45-degree bank. Doesn't take much change of bank angle to change altitude.

Bob Gardner

G1000?

Well, to each his own. I don't think that's a very good choice for a primary trainer. Lots of learning curve with little benefit for VFR flight.

And they are HEAVY. A G1000 172 with full fuel is barely a two adult aircraft. Steam gauge 172s can usually fit three (older ones better than newer -- autopilots are heavy).

I'm proficient in G1000 for VFR and I'm working on IFR. No way I would have wanted to tackle that as a student pilot. Even now, I fly G1000 only when I have to, because of the weight issue.

Last edited:
Back