Starting to look at houses...carpet questions

Closing is supposed to be tomorrow -- but -- the bank can't tell me yet if it'll actually happen. They're going to call me at 8:15am to tell me the status of my 9am closing. Very frustrating.

It's official! Jesse is now a home owner, debtor, land barron, real estate tycoon!

Congrats! Now you have a place to build a -12!

Congratulations! Not unlike a pilot certificate, your first house truly is a 'license' to learn all about new systems and how they operate.

Congrats, Jesse! Remember that the woman always gets the larger room for her stuff. ;)

It's official! Jesse is now a home owner, debtor, land barron, real estate tycoon!

SUCKAH!!!!

Congratulations. Now you will spend every Saturday morning buying something at Home Depot, like the rest of us. You're getting old now!!:D:D

When you can make 5 consecutive trips to the home depot/lowes, and they're all under $100.00 each, then you've reached the "steady state" phase of home ownership.

When you can make 5 consecutive trips to the home depot/lowes, because you've forgotten something or need "just one more thing" or you broke something in the process of fixing it, then you've reached the "steady state" phase of home ownership.

Fixed that for you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ain't that the truth. I thought it was just me??!!!!:D

Not just you by any means.

It must be a conspiracy, I say, by big business to make you buy more...:rolleyes::rofl:

The other thing is that you buy either "just one extra" in case you have the wrong size or break it and don't want to travel back. :mad2:

When you can make 5 consecutive trips to the home depot/lowes, and they're all under $100.00 each, then you've reached the "steady state" phase of home ownership.

Ain't that the truth!

Okay, now it's time to pick out a few house warming presents for Jesse. No re-gifting! No slighty used singing fish for him to hang on the wall.

How about a slightly used toaster?

Lava lamp?

Okay, now it's time to pick out a few house warming presents for Jesse. No re-gifting! No slighty used singing fish for him to hang on the wall.

How about a slightly used toaster?

Lava lamp?

Dude, a house is not a home without a lava lamp and a bean bag....

SUCKAH!!!!

Congratulations. Now you will spend every Saturday morning buying something at Home Depot, like the rest of us. You're getting old now!!:D:D

Ugh, Home Depot is purgatory for homeowners. But it's kind of fun to watch couples try to load up stuff and manuver the carts, kind of like it's fun to watch people at a boat ramp...

Trapper John

Dude, a house is not a home without a lava lamp and a bean bag....
Hey, what's wrong with a bean bag? That's the only piece of furniture I have bought for my newly-finished basement. :D

Congrats Jesse. At least you have a few months worth of reprieve from landscaping.

Geico said:
Indeed! I just need to pay for this silly house first. Trying to think of a way to do just that...

Got everything unpacked yet?
Not yet...A work in progress.

Replaced by snow shoveling and ice chipping/melting.
Now that I have bought a snow blower -- let the blizzards begin!

Yeah, I'm not there yet, I've had several $100+ trips and have many more in my head.

Hey, what's wrong with a bean bag? That's the only piece of furniture I have bought for my newly-finished basement. :D
:confused::confused::confused: Uhhhh, where did I say there was anything wrong? I was being serious. I used to have a 7' tall lava light and multiple bean bags.... I even had the bean-couch which was much better than many beds I've had.

Last edited:
Congrats Jesse. At least you have a few months worth of reprieve from landscaping.

Nature went for thousands of years without humans to mow lawns, and it worked out just fine. I've heard rumors that they didn't even put leaves in plastic bags back then.

Now mowing the lawn with a riding mower, that's more fun. I put on my ANR headset and plug in my phone for music. Weeds that you can't mow over? A little 100LL works wonders, although maybe not the best idea if you have a well like me. Hmm... ;)

Nature went for thousands of years without humans to mow lawns, and it worked out just fine. I've heard rumors that they didn't even put leaves in plastic bags back then.

Now mowing the lawn with a riding mower, that's more fun. I put on my ANR headset and plug in my phone for music. Weeds that you can't mow over? A little 100LL works wonders, although maybe not the best idea if you have a well like me. Hmm... ;)

My wife likes things to be left in a "natural state" which I took to mean no lawns. I do mow the weeds alongside the driveway once or twice a month using a 3pt mower on my tractor and occasionally take a swipe at the weeds growing behind the house (in an area too shaded for grass to thrive) but the rest of my property is pretty much covered in trees.

Lol Just declare your yard to be a hay field, and have the local farmer bring his baler over in the fall :D

My wife likes things to be left in a "natural state" which I took to mean no lawns. I do mow the weeds alongside the driveway once or twice a month using a 3pt mower on my tractor and occasionally take a swipe at the weeds growing behind the house (in an area too shaded for grass to thrive) but the rest of my property is pretty much covered in trees.
I have no "lawn" to speak of either, just field grass, weeds and wildflowers. I only mow the whole thing a couple times a year although I try to keep the area around the house a little less overgrown.

That's my preference, too. Unfortunately I didn't think enough about that when I bought this house. Lesson learned for next time.

Lol Just declare your yard to be a hay field, and have the local farmer bring his baler over in the fall :D

I tried that one year! Didn't work out too well. ;)

lmfao -- the house is in the middle of the city -- I don't think a *SMALL* hay field would go over too well.

Considering the size of the yard, mowing it really isn't that difficult of a task. I do really prefer the country with more land, but just couldn't justify the cost increase by doing so. I'd either have to have a really long commute or pay a lot of money to have land close to the city.

lmfao -- the house is in the middle of the city -- I don't think a *SMALL* hay field would go over too well.

Considering the size of the yard, mowing it really isn't that difficult of a task. I do really prefer the country with more land, but just couldn't justify the cost increase by doing so. I'd either have to have a really long commute or pay a lot of money to have land close to the city.

You're doing the right thing. Live in a house you can afford and you ought to be able to accumulate enough money to "upgrade" to what you want (and that's an airplane, right?) after some years go by.

That is one thing I like about Albuquerque. 15-20 minutes out of the city to the east, and you've got numerous towns/cities with large chunks of land for next to nothing.

That's my plan.

That is one thing I like about Albuquerque. 15-20 minutes out of the city to the east, and you've got numerous towns/cities with large chunks of land for next to nothing.

That's my plan.

Funny, one of my veterinarian pals had the same plan and found it unworkable by the time he got out there. Then again, that was before the meltdown, and he's probably upside down on his house by now. Sucker.

Back