Starting Online Ground School - The Journey Begins

BrntWltrs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BrntWltrs
Yeah, I am a dork for posting this, but I am excited about it!

Purchased full access to Gold Seal's online ground school a couple of days ago and already half way through model 1. Really like the video interaction, along with the reading from supplemental chapters from Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. The FAA style quiz questions is really helping too!

My goal is to complete the online ground school course and take the written exam before 08/04, since that's my b'day. The plan is to perhaps do my first flight lesson on my b'day. :)

Anyway, had to share my excitement. I will definitely share my progress.

Brent

Taking some lessons before you take the written can be beneficial. The practical application of what you are studying will help you retain the knowledge and can help you better understand concepts.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Just remember that the written test does expire (2 years from test date) so keep that in mind as you begin training.

Thank you guys!

Many moons ago, I use to fly with my dad, see below....taken in I believe 1981, lol. Also, I had started my PPL on a couple of occasions over the years, but it didn't take priority, stupid me. At a different place now, it's time to make this a reality. The plan Ryanb is to have this wrapped up by October this year, not messing around. :)

Brent

Attachments

• dadairplane.JPG
    dadairplane.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 26
Worked with students who did it both ways, personally I'd work on my ground at the same time as air, seems you're fresher at checkride time that way and timing wise as long as you get the written done before your checkride that's all that matters.

Sounds like a good plan. Cool pic!

When I started, I thought I would do like you plan to do. Get the written out of the way and then start flying. I used Gleim's online ground school. At about chapter 3 or 4, I really had difficulty understanding the concepts and trying hard to visualize what's what.
I started taking flying lessons and everything started to make sense. I could not have finished ground without actual flying time. For me, I needed the physical matter to be able to touch, feel, smell, control = the aircraft.
Good luck to you!

Nice! I am also doing my ground school studying with Gold Seal. I originally thought I would finish up the knowledge test and then start my practical training, but I recently decided to get started with the flight training while still completing my study. I like being able to study something, experience the application with my instructor, then go back and review the material. I feel like this way I am less likely to forget what I have read.

Welcome,you have a plan and a desire,good luck on your training.

Nice! I am also doing my ground school studying with Gold Seal. I originally thought I would finish up the knowledge test and then start my practical training, but I recently decided to get started with the flight training while still completing my study. I like being able to study something, experience the application with my instructor, then go back and review the material. I feel like this way I am less likely to forget what I have read.

Gold Seal is excellent material, I used it in addition to the FAA pubs and some other things, and it was the most understandable content I found. You can thank @write-stuff for that, he has it figured out.

You’ll also find great benefit to integrating ground and flight training at the same time. It does make it easier to get the concepts down.

You definitely should start your actual flying. You don't need to pass off your written test first, there is a time limitation on that, and the written test will make more sense with practical experience. I used the Sporty's app for study, which just pulled questions from the study book. Most of the questions were on the actual written. It's just busy work.

Honestly, fly more. That's where you learn. Dealing with written test questions are of no use when you end up in low viz and need to make the runway a mile back. Or you lose airspeed indication during takeoff roll. Or you find yourself in an uncommanded descent or ascent. Or when you are departing from a runway and another pilot is attempting to land on that runway. Or when you screw up a taxi for takeoff at an unfamiliar airport. Or when tower clears you to land and you have to go full flaps and slip from 2000 agl.

All that happened within a year of getting my ppl. Still kick myself on that last one. I should have asked for a descending 360 to lose altitude. That was one hell of a full flaps full slip no power descent. Definitely would not do that again.

Point is, you are focused on the written. That part is a no-brainer. Fly. A lot!

Back