starting my research into becoming a private pilot.

onmy6

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the aviation world and have wanted my PPL since about 12 or so (I am now 20). Due to my college/ job I move around a lot (so far this yr I have been home less than 3 months and have worked in 8 different states). On the 24th I am going to New Iberia Louisiana. Just googling I found a flight school. I was thinking about going in and talking to them about STARTING the process of flying. I will be in New Iberia until December 12th (atleast). My question is. Is it a good idea to start talking to an instructor down there/ even start flying at that school to only go home and/or my permanent location (after college I am gaurenteed a job... the kicker is if there are no jobs in NJ I am required to move... the company does provide a moving package).

Since you will only be in LA for two months, you may want to consider waiting until you get to a more permanent setting. You can always start training down there, but in two months you won't finish (expect 6-12 months if you are flying 3x a week somewhat consistently), and when you transfer to a new flight instructor/flight school you may end up repeating a bunch of stuff, which gets costly. I guess if you have the money to throw around it wouldn't hurt to start it down in LA, but if money is a factor then I might suggest waiting. But what do I know. I'm a newbie. And I'm broke (just finished my own PPL).

Last edited:
Sit on your hands(and checkbook) till you get where you are going.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the King private Pilot package and read it all cover to cover, then do it all over. When you start your ground training,it will all be review. Take the test rather quickly and then the fun begins.

You do have the cash on hand to pay for all of it, right? I'd budget $10k-$12k right off the bat. If you have the money to start, but not finish, sit tight. Otherwise your wasting money.

Do it now. It'll take longer switching locations every few months but you will also see and learn more then the folks who train out of one airport. Young is the best time to learn to fly. Go for it.

Money isnt a factor for quality training. But who wants to spend more than they should. I was also looking at sportys PPL program.
I have money to get through most of the training as I sit but getting the money isnt the issue. Finding the time is haha.
So I guess what do you think of sportys guide?

Sportys is fine too. I prefer kings because they tend to dumb it down better. If your a sharp cookie, either is fine. I think older learners would tend to go with a King course though.

Have you taken an introductory flight yet? If not, go and do one. You either love it or hate it.

I second the suggestion of a discovery flight. I just had one out of the Lakefront Airport (New Orleans) and loved it. Welcome to Louisiana!

Step one,discovery flight,step two get a home study program I like the king products. Step three find a flight school .

Done 2 young eagle days in a archer and cessna and did a flight from 3n6 to statue of liberty, and 3n6 to lancaster pa, and 1 or two other short flights around in a velocity. I was also up for 15 minutes in a t-6. So if you are talking intro flights. The velocity was the IT lead in my middle school and saw my interedt in flying and he brought us out to his plane. Didnt take off or land. I got what any first flight is. Take pictures. Here take control follow this line. Ok turn left now right. Ok I have control. And we land.
if your talking about a intro flight in LA then thats a different story.

But looks like im onto the home schooling stage.

Last edited:
I'd say flying is the BEST thing you could possibly do in New Iberia, LA. Stay far far away from the bars.

Are you oilfield or related?

I am only 20 and never touched alcohol. Its turned into a game to see how long i can go. Im in a program ran by aggreko. So down there yes oilfield related. But i will not be going offshore or anything. I am going to national repair to learn how to rebuild generators

I recommend using the Sporty's courses. They're much less corny than King's and will teach you everything you need to know to pass the written and checkride. The nice thing with the DVD series is that you can start learning now before you even start taking lessons.

Back