Starting Instrument Training

momalley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
momalley
I just scheduled my 1st IR lesson. Next Wednesday at 1pm I hit the simulator. Hope to get 1-2 lessons in per week and then be ready for the check ride by mid-summer or so.

Congrats on your decision to get the rating. I've been a pilot for only a year, and IFR rated for about 4 months and I can tell you it is well worth it!

I would try to fly at least 2 - 3 missions per week if you can, though!!

Good luck!

Enjoy. The IR was the toughest one for me (including the CFI certificate), so when you're frustrated remember that it's normal. On the bright side you'll have a much better understanding of the whole system when you're done.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Congrats, enjoy the training,try not to get frustrated,it will all come together. One of the best ratings ,if you do a lot of cross country flying.

Awesome, you will enjoy it. It is a fun rating but I agree that it requires a lot of work.
FWIW, if you can, schedule a lesson with your CFII to go up in your Piper on a cloudy day. Having actual IMC exposure (with a CFII onboard) is definitely an eye opener.

Have fun!

Awesome, you will enjoy it. It is a fun rating but I agree that it requires a lot of work.
FWIW, if you can, schedule a lesson with your CFII to go up in your Piper on a cloudy day. Having actual IMC exposure (with a CFII onboard) is definitely an eye opener.

Have fun!
We are planning an IFR flight in actual for lunch one day in the next week or so.

Congrats on your decision to get the rating. I've been a pilot for only a year, and IFR rated for about 4 months and I can tell you it is well worth it!

I would try to fly at least 2 - 3 missions per week if you can, though!!

Good luck!
yea, I got my private a year ago (1/17/2014) and have had to cancel more than a few flights due to weather.

I plan on doing 4-6 lessons a month in the sim and then will probably increase to 8-12 month when I move to the plane.

I just scheduled my 1st IR lesson. Next Wednesday at 1pm I hit the simulator. Hope to get 1-2 lessons in per week and then be ready for the check ride by mid-summer or so.

Congrats! Hopefully I will be in the same boat sometime in the next year or so. I'm waiting to build up some funds so I don't have to halt the training before I get finished. There have certainly been some nice imc days where it was calm with a thin cloud layer and I wished I had my rating! All will come in due time though. Enjoy the lessons!

I am starting IFR training as well this Sunday. Does anyone have any books or videos you would recommend?

The written test is supposedly going to be undergoing some changes soon if it hasn't already. I used the King videos for ground school, and then used the Gleim book for test prep. It worked for me to pass the written.

Also, here is a primer on what the instrument rating is about from a 10,000 foot perspective:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76676&highlight=IFR+overview

I also think a lot of learning has occurred reading some of the threads on interpreting interesting approach plates on this board.

The written test is supposedly going to be undergoing some changes soon if it hasn't already. I used the King videos for ground school, and then used the Gleim book for test prep. It worked for me to pass the written.

Also, here is a primer on what the instrument rating is about from a 10,000 foot perspective:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76676&highlight=IFR+overview

I also think a lot of learning has occurred reading some of the threads on interpreting interesting approach plates on this board.

New questions come out three times each year. Go to www.asa2fly.com, Resources, Updates.

Bob Gardner

We are planning an IFR flight in actual for lunch one day in the next week or so.
Sounds like biting off rather more than one could be expected to chew on one's third or fourth instrument training lesson. We don't do an actual IFR cross-country flight until about 80% of the training is completed.

Sounds like biting off rather more than one could be expected to chew on one's third or fourth instrument training lesson. We don't do an actual IFR cross-country flight until about 80% of the training is completed.
This would not be a lesson, just a flight in IMC

Ron, I absolutely agree.
Though some students are pretty well prepared and advance so fast that actual IMC after 3 or 4 lessons can be a non-event. To clarify: I certainly do not claim that everybody can do that.

momalley, get back to us once you've had your IMC trip, I am curious how much you like it and how well it goes.

Ron, I absolutely agree.
Though some students are pretty well prepared and advance so fast that actual IMC after 3 or 4 lessons can be a non-event. To clarify: I certainly do not claim that everybody can do that.
Getting some basic instrument work in the weather with the instructor managing everything and essentially giving all vectors to wherever they need to go is one thing. An IFR XC flight is something else entirely.

Of course, riding along while the instructor demonstrates an IFR XC flight would be a nice thing to do. But trying to put the trainee in the left seat flying the plane for such a flight without the proper foundation is just not particularly productive training.

Congratulations for the trainning .. It may be rough and a little bit difficult too in start .. You will get used to it real soon

Back