Starting Engine - Rotating Beacon, or Beacon and Strobes?

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Starting Engine - Red Flashing Beacon, or Beacon and Strobes?

Minor, but curious question.

In the LSA that I flew for several months, the only anti-collision lights available to me were wingtip strobes. Per my checklist, I turned them on before starting the engine.

In a Cessna 172, however, there are two kinds of anti-collision lights; a red flashing beacon on the vertical stabilizer (“BCN” switch) and wingtip strobes similar to those in the old LSA (“STROBE” switch). In the “Starting Engine” checklist in the official POH, it says “BEACON light switch – ON” shortly before engine start. My school's checklist doesn't include this item at all (maybe because it's so routine?).

Maybe I already have my answer since it’s in the POH, but since I’m used to seeing flashing lights on my wingtips, I was wondering if it might be better to turn on the red flashing beacon AND the wingtip strobes before starting the engine? Or, should I just use the rotating beacon by itself for some reason? Or, is it just chef’s choice?

Same question, but night rather than day?

Thanks!

Edit - corrected "red rotating beacon" to "red flashing beacon."

Last edited:
personal preference only, i never run strobes on the ground until taking the runway. It's inconsiderate for nearby people and vehicles.

Strobes come on when I take the active. It can be uncomfortable for others on the ground, especially at night.

But the beacon goes on at startup

Same as above, I turn strobes on as part of my final ready to takeoff checks and use beacon while taxiing.

I'd just turn on the red rotating beacon on the tail before starting the engine. Then turn on everything once the engine is started.

I don't have a single light on my airplane :/

But if I did it would just be the beacon...

Turn the strobes on when entering runway,was always told not to use strobes on the ground.some people use the strobe when shutting down to ensure the batt switch is off.

we always keep our strobe on - helps to know if you accidentally left the master on when you're walking away at a remote airport or in the hangar. Like others, even during the day I don't use the strobes during taxi...after I complete my run-up checklist I turn them on as I'm switching over to tower or calling CTAF to take the active.

No lights, no strobes. I will never own a plane with a rotating beacon. Ever. :no:

The first thing to come off a plane I buy is the compass. I have a draw full of them. Completely useless in today's world.

No lights on unless it is dark. What's the point?

Last edited:
The first thing to come off a plane I buy is the compass. I have a draw full of them. Completely useless in today's world.

I flew heading all of Saturday. Aspen RMS failed...mag compass was the answer and it served quite well.

If I have both, the nav lights are my signal that the airplane is powered up, the beacon goes on before engine start, and the strobes go on when taking or crossing a runway.

If all I have are strobes (as in the Socata airplanes), then they go on before start except at night... I flash the navs at that point.

Old school, but also common practice. Rotating beacon (if you have one) on before engine start, especially at night, let's others on the ramp know the engine is abot to start.

Strobes, not for taxi, turn them on when cleared for takeoff or "line up and wait".
Lights, camera, action.

Taxi with strobes past other airplanes (pilots) is poor taste, kills their night vision.
Turn of your taxi/landing light when pointed at another plane. Save their night vison.

Professional pilots will turn everything on when cleared to taxi across a runway, and then dim it down again when clear.

Thanks all!

As a follow up question. The lights include: BCN, LAND, TAXI, NAV, STROBE. Does this seems like a good plan re lights?

Pre-Start
BCN only

Pre-Taxi
TAXI, NAV turned ON, resulting in BCN, TAXI, NAV

After Runup and Before Takeoff
LDG, TAXI turned ON, resulting in all on, BCN, LAND, TAXI, NAV, STROBE

After Reaching 1,000 ft and during flight
LDG, TAXI turned OFF, leaving BCN, NAV, STROBE

Pre-Landing
LDG, TAXI back ON, resulting in all on, BCN, LAND, TAXI, NAV, STROBE

Post-Landing
LDG and STROBE off, leaving BCN, TAXI, NAV

Hmm...

91.205(b) - For VFR flight during the day, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(3) - Magnetic direction indicator.

personal preference only, i never run strobes on the ground until taking the runway. It's inconsiderate for nearby people and vehicles.
Same for me. only nav lights and beacon on the ramp and taxiways. Strobes and landing light on when I cross a runway. Strobes and landing light when I take the runway.

Ditto, especially at night. And they go off as soon as I clear the runway after landing, too. Only takes one time with someone pulling up next to you in the run-up area and sticking a wing tip with a strobe on right next to you to make you a believer in that.

And I feel the same even if your only anti-collision lighting system is your strobes. Yes, I know 91.206 says "No person may...Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights," but it also says "the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off." And while I realize that exception was included primarily for operating inside a cloud, I am convinced that strobes in someone else's face on the ground is also contrary to the interest of safety.

No lights, no strobes. I will never own a plane with a rotating beacon. Ever. :no:

No lights on unless it is dark. What's the point?
ooo ...lookit you...Mr. Superpilot ...I wanna be like you.

...NOT

Ditto, especially at night. And they go off as soon as I clear the runway after landing, too. Only takes one time with someone pulling up next to you in the run-up area and sticking a wing tip with a strobe on right next to you to make you a believer in that.

And I feel the same even if your only anti-collision lighting system is your strobes. Yes, I know 91.206 says "No person may...Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights," but it also says "the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off." And while I realize that exception was included primarily for operating inside a cloud, I am convinced that strobes in someone else's face on the ground is also contrary to the interest of safety.
I totally agree, I watched a set today in a snow storm, they were lighting up the entire airport. really eerie.

mine go on, when I go on, (the runway)

When we taxied at night in the strobe-only LSA, we did exactly that; kept the strobes off until we were taking the runway.

Am I correct, however, that if you have one, you WOULD use the flashing red beacon while taxiing at night?

if you are flying into airports with big airplanes whose driver's look down at you, then an oscillating red beacon on the belly is the best way to keep from getting run over. It casts a distinctive yet unobjectionable light on the ground around you in a way that no strobe light can match.

I never turn the red beacon off so it's always on if the master is on. For one thing it makes it pretty difficult to leave the master on unintentionally. Also IMO it's a good idea to "announce" that you are preparing to start as soon as you turn the master on rather than waiting until you are about to crank the engine(s).

I never turn the red beacon off so it's always on if the master is on. For one thing it makes it pretty difficult to leave the master on unintentionally. Also IMO it's a good idea to "announce" that you are preparing to start as soon as you turn the master on rather than waiting until you are about to crank the engine(s).

That is what I do. I've actually seen unoccupied airplanes with the beacon left on, a tell tail sign that the master was left on. I will normally walk over, open the door and turn it off if I can't find the owner/operator.

The plane I fly he beacon switch is always left on, always. Then before I take the active I do a light, camera, action flow, where lights are my strobes.

:yeahthat:

Master and beacon are always on and off together. To me a running beacon signals that the engine may start at anytime and serves as a warning of sorts to people who may be on the ramp.

No strobes until taking the runway.

Some pipers only have strobes for sn ACL. FAR says ACL on while taxiing. I interpret this to mean that I need to run the strobes but I take the position that in the interest of safety I can turn them off in the vicinity of other aircraft.

Do you yell "Clear" just before starting the engine? Why?

I'll answer that. Yes, I do, and it is to alert those nearby to watch out for you soon-to-be spinning prop.

I agree with all of the above about turning on the strobes when entering the runway. My CFI also suggested turning on the strobes for 3 or 4 flashes before starting the engine, then off until you enter the runway. Sort of a visual way to yell "Clear!"

Anyone ever hear of this?

-Skip

Do you yell "Clear" just before starting the engine? Why?

I'll answer that. Yes, I do, and it is to alert those nearby to watch out for you soon-to-be spinning prop.

I agree with all of the above about turning on the strobes when entering the runway. My CFI also suggested turning on the strobes for 3 or 4 flashes before starting the engine, then off until you enter the runway. Sort of a visual way to yell "Clear!"

Anyone ever hear of this?

-Skip

No, but I don't see where it hurts.

My CFI also suggested turning on the strobes for 3 or 4 flashes before starting the engine, then off until you enter the runway. Sort of a visual way to yell "Clear!"
I don't see a problem with that but to be honest if I saw strobes come on briefly on an airplane when it's engine wasn't running I'd probably assume that the pilot was checking their operation rather than announcing an imminent startup.

aw c'mon, admit it you followed the line on the iPad!!!
:D:D:D

I flew the HSI needle on the Aspen initially - the Aspen just thinks there is a huge crosswind so it isn't a big deal. After awhile I figured out the compass was still good and it was easier to steer. And later still I'd set up on compass heading and then "fly" the wind offset diamond on the Aspen to the magenta line on the Aspen - that worked the best for setting up the wind correction quickly.

The ipad was always on but to me it's a pain chasing ground track on it. It works okay if the view out the window is useful but at night it sorta sucked.

+1 I never turn rotating beacon off so it's always on if the master is on.

The red beacon allows others to be like "hey, this plane is going to do something, I should probably be aware."
It's considered courteous to wait until taking the active to flip your strobes on.

Back