Starting EMT training today

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I had been looking for a post retirement thing to do. Not long ago I came up with the idea of it being an EMT. They had one opening in the class left. I like the idea as it scratches several itches. It’s a useful technical skill that I can build on. It gets me out of the house. I can do it part time. I can set my schedule at some level. My daughter is in EMT so give us another point of conversation. It serves the community. I get to drive the Woo-Woo bus, as my daughter puts it.
Share your thoughts and experiences

Last edited:
I've toyed with this idea, mainly just to know what to do in a health emergency and possibly be useful. I do like accumulating skills.

The cost of classes near me are frightful though. Just shy of 3 grand for the first rung IIRC. I'd be real curious how you found the training to be, and likelihood of maintaining proficiency to a useful level. I never want to drive a woo-woo bus :D

My hat's off to you. As part of our local volunteer fire dept, we obviously run lots of medical calls. I hate them. Always have. Machines I get.... figure out the broken part and fix it.... biological systems are too mysterious and finicky. We're not emt's, although we do get licensed as "emr"s. First aid, 02, airways, and that's about it. Even that's hard for me to keep up with.

While I'm on the subject.... anyone who's in a rural area looking for something to do and/ or a way to give back, volunteer fire departments are starving for help. Every one of them around here will pay for your classes if you want to continue your education and get an emt license or become a certified fire fighter.

Most of the rural ground EMS companies are starving for people as well. Paramedic I’m flying with today runs a ground ambulance business on the side. He can barely staff his trucks.

Last edited:
15 year volunteer firefighter here. I definitely second Jim's post. As rural populations shrink, and people are less willing to do stuff for free, finding volunteers for these types of roles are getting harder and harder. The alternative is simply no service, because these rural communities can't afford to tax enough to pay for the services. This has become a big issue in Iowa, as there are still counties with zero based EMS, and the voters refuse to accept a tax increase to provide the service. If you have a serious medical emergency in one of these counties, you are dead. The nearest ambulance is coming from 30+ miles away. If you are really sick, they may call for AirMed if available and able to take the flight.

I was a firefighter EMT for forty years,I’m now retired . Good luck it’s a rewarding profession.

If you like solving puzzles you’ll love it, personally I never understood why police had better compensation compared to EMS, especially with the liability, training and the likelihood of the average American save, EMS has more field saves by mountains compared to police, fire, or almost anyone, look at the top killers of people all medical

But it’s a good vocation, albeit VERY thankless and HIGHLY underpaid

NREMT
W-EMT

If you like solving puzzles you’ll love it, personally I never understood why police had better compensation compared to EMS, especially with the liability, training and the likelihood of the average American save, EMS has more field saves by mountains compared to police, fire, or almost anyone, look at the top killers of people all medical

But it’s a good vocation, albeit VERY thankless and HIGHLY underpaid

NREMT
W-EMT
People seem to like and appreciate firemen and EMTs.
They tend to shoot at policemen.

My hat's off to you, sir! Sounds like a fulfilling thing to do with your retirement. Keep us posted on your progress.

Was a full time EMT for Guilford County, NC during the 1970's.
I had my mouth on ResusaAnnie more than I did my wife at one point :).

Good luck !

I had been looking for a post retirement thing to do. Not long ago I came up with the idea of it being an EMT. They had one opening in the class left. I like the idea as it scratches several itches. It’s a useful technical skill that I can build on. It gets me out of the house. I can do it part time. I can set my schedule at some level. My daughter is in EMT so give us another point of conversation. It serves the community. I get to drive the Woo-Woo bus, as my daughter puts it.
Share your thoughts and experiences
Cool. You’ll probably get a nickname like Pappy or Gramps or sumpin’. Have fun

People seem to like and appreciate firemen and EMTs.
They tend to shoot at policemen.

As a professional pilot, just no

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

I have a hard time shedding a tear on that subject

mechanics, roofers, garbage men, farmers, truckers, steel workers, construction, fisherman, linemen, loggers, AG workers, repairmen..all more dangerous

Police don’t make the top 10, depending on the year that don’t even always make the top 20 per OSHA

All those jobs have a higher chance of not making it home, but they don’t go on about it, or have lined flags, lifestyle apparel , or whatever

pilots are almost always #3 most deadly job

Could you imagine if pax got on a plane

“this is your captain, thanks for your business, we will be 1hr 30 min enroute, please keep my family in your prayers, were just trying to make it home alive each day, and please ask your flight attendant about donating to the fallen pilots fund”

“this is your captain, thanks for your business, we will be 1hr 30 min enroute, please keep my family in your prayers, were just trying to home alive, and please as your flight attendant about donating to the fallen pilots fund”

I think I'll make a version of that part of my passenger briefing from now on!

I think I'll make a version of that part of my passenger briefing from now on!

54f6b000b5fc0c0cbcb70e64ac205733.jpg

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

mechanics, roofers, garbage men, farmers, truckers, steel workers, construction, fisherman, linemen, loggers, AG workers, repairmen..all more dangerous

Police don’t make the top 10, depending on the year that don’t even always make the top 20 per OSHA

All those jobs have a higher chance of not making it home, but they don’t go on about it, or have lined flags, lifestyle apparel , or whatever

pilots are almost always #3 most deadly job

Could you imagine if pax got on a plane

“this is your captain, thanks for your business, we will be 1hr 30 min enroute, please keep my family in your prayers, were just trying to make it home alive each day, and please ask your flight attendant about donating to the fallen pilots fund”
I thought about bringing it up but I declined. I appreciate that you did though.

If it's any consolation--and I'm not sure if it should be, but I'll make the observation anyway--pilots come in at #3 on the most dangerous jobs list, but earn 2X to 5X the median annual wage of every other profession on that list.

Decades ago when I was working on a farm, farming usually was among the top 3 most dangerous professions. I see it's still on the list, at #7, but dead last for median annual wage, so the risk/reward ration isn't great.

If it's any consolation--and I'm not sure if it should be, but I'll make the observation anyway--pilots come in at #3 on the most dangerous jobs list, but earn 2X to 5X the median annual wage of every other profession on that list.

Decades ago when I was working on a farm, farming usually was among the top 3 most dangerous professions. I see it's still on the list, at #7, but dead last for median annual wage, so the risk/reward ration isn't great.

Compared to what many police make in short order, plus I have no pension, no qualified immunity, etc

Also look at the other jobs on that list, roofers, landscapers, garbage dudes…

I mean it’s cool, but police need to tone it down as many people are working far more dangerous just with much less compensation and far more personal responsibility

I was a driver and first aid person for EMS many, many, years ago. It can be a dangerous profession but extremely interesting at times.

A family member worked EMS for years and ended up with back injuries. They told me of those nights when only two folks were on the truck and the patient was over 300 lbs. I'm guessing that moving those folks around gets kinda tough to do as we get older ...

I toyed with the idea of doing it too, but only the training not as a job. Several years back when I was active scuba diving, dive master assistant instructor and doing all sorts of light adventure stuff like flying, kayaking, mountain biking. At one point for diving I had to refresh my CPR cert and instead took an upgraded one that included 1st aid, CPR for kids, etc.... the young EMT teacher spent a lot of the class telling war stories...real experiences he'd had, what worked, what was only theory, etc... gave a better sense of what to expect. Heads and shoulders better than any of the many 1st aid and CPR classes I'd taken before. I was a bit of a training junkie, liked learning new and useful skills and getting certifications that might prove helpful some day even if I never plan to actually need the certification.... so I looked into doing EMT....but at that time the only place to do it in this city was 40-50 minutes away on the other side of town, and I was working, travelling for work, so it wasn't practical.

pilots come in at #3 on the most dangerous jobs list

I've often seen that list, and always questioned what group of statistics and metrics they are using to calculate the pilot death rate.

We haven't had a Part 121 fatality in how many years? The number of fatalities in the Part 135 world is also very low. I know there are still a lot more of commercial jobs out there, but aside from crop dusting, I don't see the death rate being all that high. Are they factoring all pilot deaths, including private and hobby fliers? Not quite a fair metric when comparing occupations.

I've often seen that list, and always questioned what group of statistics and metrics they are using to calculate the pilot death rate.

We haven't had a Part 121 fatality in how many years? The number of fatalities in the Part 135 world is also very low. I know there are still a lot more of commercial jobs out there, but aside from crop dusting, I don't see the death rate being all that high. Are they factoring all pilot deaths, including private and hobby fliers? Not quite a fair metric when comparing occupations.

It’s OSHA so it would be all rev pilots

Sorry to say, police is not that dangerous of a profession despite the major marketing

My hat's off to you. As part of our local volunteer fire dept, we obviously run lots of medical calls. I hate them. Always have. Machines I get.... figure out the broken part and fix it.... biological systems are too mysterious and finicky. We're not emt's, although we do get licensed as "emr"s. First aid, 02, airways, and that's about it. Even that's hard for me to keep up with.

While I'm on the subject.... anyone who's in a rural area looking for something to do and/ or a way to give back, volunteer fire departments are starving for help. Every one of them around here will pay for your classes if you want to continue your education and get an emt license or become a certified fire fighter.
My grandfather was the volunteer fire chief for our town in the 60's-70's before it was full time. He even picked up the first ambulance the town had in Florida. When it went full time they made his helmet into this cool piece you hang on the man cave. When he passed away a few years ago, the relationship was fractured after my grandmother passed away and he married shortly after. I was 12 at the time when she passed. He lived up in the dells and I had a race up there, was the only race of mine he got to see. He only came because he knew who wasn't going to be there (aunt and uncle). He was invited to my sister's college graduation party, I knew he wouldn't go. I drove up to go get him. Was able to convince him once he knew who wasn't going to be there. My mom was ****ed I went awol instead of helping set up. I got to the middle of the yard when she saw who pulled in behind me. Instant tears. So the relationship was somewhat restored, but the damage was done. "New family" got everything in the will when he passed. The only thing we'd have liked were photo albums and the fire helmet. On a personal note he had these antique slot machines and I offered to pay triple what they were worth, . I could buy the same ones on eBay, but the sentimentality isn't there. No dice. New family wouldn't give anything up. Even the fire helmet that we had to explain to them what it was. Things that occured 40 years before they knew him that has very little value monetarily or sentimentally.

People suck....except @Morgan3820. Bravo.

The pilots contributing to the high fatality rate aren't the ones making anywhere close to the highest wages. Other than the rare CFI accidents, it's largely Alaska adding to that list, with medivac, ag flights (which you almost never hear about) occasional 135 tour operators. It isn't the guys pulling down $300k+ flying a Boeing/Airbus.

I did this about 12 years ago. I was in my late 30s, no kids, and a workaholic wife. My friends were all marrie with kids so I needed something to supplement my government job. I had always wanted to do EMS in high school/college, but I never got up the courage to do it.

The training is pretty involved. About 10 hours of class per week over 12 weeks, plus ride alongs. I ended up volunteering as a EMT with my city fire department, basically as an extra set of hands on a medic unit. It was great experience, ran lots of calls, but never really had to be in charge, so to speak. The paid medics liked me because I wanted to be there (unlike many of the firefighters who try to avoid EMS calls as much as possible), I wasn't gunning for anyone's job, and I enjoy being a firehouse cook. I worked a lot of 12 hour shifts, both daytime and overnight. I never got used to sleeping at the station.

I was quite active up until Covid. They kicked out volunteers and I found myself rather spending time with my now 7 year old son. I'm pretty much retired from the gig but I've maintained my EMT-B.

What I will say is that EMT-B classes don't really prepare you much for being an EMT. A lot of it is on the job. You'll learn that your departments scope of practice and standards are probably different from what you're taught. You'll spend a lot of time backboarding patients in class that would never be backboarded in the field. Running calls as a purely BLS is very different than running calls as an EMT-B on an ALS unit.

Last point...if you have no interest in being an EMT but just want to learn first aid, don't become an EMT. There's a lot of extraneous material. Consider doing a wilderness first aid course. That is very helpful.

One other thing, once you're an EMT, people will randomly drop all around you. People choking in restaurants, motorcyclists getting hit, medical emergencies on planes, you name it. My wife is always "OMG go help that guy!" I always assist, but placing my magic hands upon the person only does so much for the random passed out guy on the park bench. You'll learn it's best to anonymously help, but don't mention your medical training qualifications and get out of the way as soon as the on-duty EMS shows up.

I was already in the fire department and went through EMT-A and add-ons for EOA/MAST and starting IVs. After a few years on the box, I went through the full paramedic training.

I like to point out that 90% of the calls i go on the guy is going to survive no matter what I do or be dead no matter what I do. It's only a few where I really make a difference (or thought I could).

Just going to drop this excerpt from the pilots entry here...they must be talking charter flights or something?

Screenshot_20230104-184414.png

Just going to drop this excerpt from the pilots entry here...they must be talking charter flights or something?

View attachment 113695

When I went back to flying 135 many pax still call me “a private pilot” they have zero idea what that means, guess since it’s a private charter that makes me a private pilot?

When I went back to flying 135 many pax still call me “a private pilot” they have zero idea what that means, guess since it’s a private charter that makes me a private pilot?

Maybe I shouldn't assume the site quoted knows of what they speak, but I would assume that those compiling the information would at least be able to distinguish such an important distinction.

Maybe I shouldn't assume the site quoted knows of what they speak, but I would assume that those compiling the information would at least be able to distinguish such an important distinction.

“Private sector” just seems like non 121

The main difference w/ the police vs every other "Dangerous Job" is that the danger to the police frequently comes from other human beings. The other sectors you mention their mortal enemy is not human.

As an example show me other groups that have songs w/ "<job here> Killer" lyrics.

Show me groups that have marches that have slogans about "Kill <job here>".

Regardless of which side of the argument you're on, there is no way you can claim that police work is on equal footing as the others you mentioned.

-----

I know, I know. Now you're going to go w/ "Well, if the police wouldn't ..." arguments. Believe it or not, every law enforcement officer I know hates dirty cops more than the general public, so we'd probably agree on most of your examples.

However, that does not remove the above thoughts as to the difference between police work and your other "Dangerous Jobs"

-----

To the topic of the post, best of luck @Morgan3820 and I hope you love it. We need more EMTs.

Last edited:
As rural populations shrink, and people are less willing to do stuff for free, finding volunteers for these types of roles are getting harder and harder.

I'll go one further and say finding volunteers for almost any role is getting harder and harder.

My area of the country is experiencing quite a growth spurt. Everywhere you look we have subdivisions popping up, yet finding volunteers is difficult. And this goes from finding volunteers for youth events all the way to finding volunteers to help w/ church events.

It seems to be a societal change rather than a population size change.

David Lee Roth picked it as a retirement gig too.

I work in an OR on the receiving end of some of the worst of their pickups. The EMT guys get much respect from me; I've been impressed with their good work in bad situations.

The main difference w/ the police vs every other "Dangerous Job" is that the danger to the police frequently comes from other human beings. The other sectors you mention their mortal enemy is not human.

As an example show me other groups that have songs w/ "<job here> Killer" lyrics.

Show me groups that have marches that have slogans about "Kill <job here>".

Regardless of which side of the argument you're on, there is no way you can claim that police work is on equal footing as the others you mentioned.

-----

I know, I know. Now you're going to go w/ "Well, if the police wouldn't ..." arguments. Believe it or not, every law enforcement officer I know hates dirty cops more than the general public, so we'd probably agree on most of your examples.

However, that does not remove the above thoughts as to the difference between police work and your other "Dangerous Jobs"

-----

To the topic of the post, best of luck @Morgan3820 and I hope you love it. We need more EMTs.

You are correct, it’s not the same footing, it’s is a mathematically less dangerous job

The cop killer thing, we’ll yes and no, the majority of police deaths are accidents, it’s accidentally getting hit by cars

Motor vehicle-related incidents are a leading cause of line-of-duty deaths for law enforcement officers in the United States
-CDC

Fact is they still don’t make the OSHA top 10 list, and many years not the top 20

As grim as it sounds, I’d rather be shot compared to some of the industrial deaths, or AG deaths

Not trying to down play anyones heroes here, just the numbers sir

You are correct, it’s not the same footing, it’s is a mathematically less dangerous job

The cop killer thing, we’ll yes and no, the majority of police deaths are accidents, it’s accidentally getting hit by cars

Motor vehicle-related incidents are a leading cause of line-of-duty deaths for law enforcement officers in the United States
-CDC

Fact is they still don’t make the OSHA top 10 list, and many years not the top 20

As grim as it sounds, I’d rather be shot compared to some of the industrial deaths, or AG deaths

Not trying to down play anyones heroes here, just the numbers sir

I will agree with you that from a numbers point of view you are absolutely correct.

I will further agree that there are more horrible deaths than being shot.

However, I still stand by the fact that human related reasons for most of the police deaths do make it a different issue than the other ones.

Speaking of motor vehicle-related accidents, how many are the result of other drivers? (other humans, even if unintentionally.) People running into the back of stopped patrol cars is not unheard of, people being distracted by the flashing lights, people distracted by texting, etc.

Lest you think I am being a bit obtuse, let me say that my defensive tactics partner at the academy was killed because he straightened a curve and was ejected from his car. So, I am aware that police officers do cause some of their own fatalities.

Of course, on the other hand, I had two friends die in the line of duty as a result of gunshot wounds.

So, yeah.

If you’re gonna do it, please do it! (EMTing)
Our service attracts all these wannabes who cost the county thousands in training…..but then only 5% actually serve!
It’s not a damn hobby!
Get the training, then give back.

Also, they should be taught, “Remember, you are here for the people in need. Set aside the silly interpersonal bull with the other EMTs, Directors, etc etc. Just. Help. The. Patients.”

Most of the rural ground EMS companies are starving for people as well. Paramedic I’m flying with today runs a ground ambulance business on the side. He can barely staff his trucks.

Over christmas, the transport company contracted by our hospital showed '0 crews' available to handle discharges or transfers to other facilities. As you can't just take a 911 ambulance for an inter-hospital transfer, that meant the entire system got gummed up. Eventually, the transport company brought in crews from out of the area, but for a while the hospital couldnt discharge anyone who wasn't able to leave under their own power.

A family member worked EMS for years and ended up with back injuries. They told me of those nights when only two folks were on the truck and the patient was over 300 lbs. I'm guessing that moving those folks around gets kinda tough to do as we get older ...

Depends on the type of EMS system, but folks are getting less and less willing to mess up their backs for those patients. In the two fire/EMS agencies I am involved in, a 2 person ambulance crew faced with a 300lb patient will typically call for a 'lift assist'. That's either a second ambulance or the fire department responsible for that area. Sure, it will add time to getting the patient to the hospital, but thats in a way on the patient. The other helpful thing are 'power loading cots'. You wheel it to the back of the ambo, and dock it to a electro-hydraulic arm that is mounted to the floor of the ambulance box. Push some buttons and you can load the cot without having to lift it yourself. It's expensive (35k or so) and a bit finicky and breakdown prone, but its a back saver.

Back