Starting at 56

JLee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JLeeSC
Like some others, it's been a dream for many years that I never followed. Taking my intro fight next week and want to start right. The kids are finally through college, married, and starting their own families. My 30yr marriage is now over(not part of the dream), job's going well, saved a good bit of money, so the time is right. I'm in good shape through hiking, biking, and watching my diet so covered on the medical side. I researched 4 different fight schools in my area and made that decision today. My goal is to get my PPL, IFR, and have fun doing something just for me. The local school I decided on has 2 Diamonds(DA 20 & 40), 2 Cessna 172s, and a Piper Warrior. Of these aircraft, would rather learn in a 172 but have nothing to base that decision on other than YouTube and reading a few threads here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome JLee..!!!

You have come to the right place. Lots of information can be learned here, and there are no dumb questions. Though there may be some smart a$$ answers... :)

Welcome JLee..!!!

You have come to the right place. Lots of information can be learned here, and there are no dumb questions. Though there may be some smart a$$ answers... :)
That's ok. I can be quite the smartarse myself.

I started at 48. Some days it will humble you; other days you'll think you were meant to fly. Just stick with it and see it through...even if you have back-to-back lessons that seem like you're actually regressing. HAVE FUN!

Welcome, JLee!

Any of those aircraft will do fine for training.

One idea would be take a discovery flight in each to accomplish two things: first see if you connect well with the instructors, and second, "audition" the aircraft to see which one you are most comfortable in and enjoy flying.

Welcome! Keep us posted on your training.

Some like high wing, some like low wing. Some like electric flaps, some like mechanical. Fly all the different planes the school has and see what you like best.

Or figure out what has the best availability for your schedule and stick with that type.

I was out of the cockpit for decades so it's never too late to go flying.

Cheers

And before you too heavily invested in training, go get your medical certification done.

And before going to the Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), read closely the application (Form 8500-8, and make sure it is the most recent version), especially the "Have you ever in your life..." questions. Some of those, if not properly prepped for, will become a live hand grenade on a short fuse. Burn properly dealt with before seeing the AME allows you to put the pin back in that grenade and proceed.

But do not go see the AME until you know with 100% certainty he will issue your certificate in office and not deferr or deny you.

If you have questions about the process, ask.

Good advice. Thanks.

Plan is to do 2 lessons a week and see how it goes but agree need to take care of the AME asap. Had a doctor put me on ADHD med but no longer on it once I discovered it's basically Meth. Could be a ding.

Plan is to do 2 lessons a week and see how it goes but agree need to take care of the AME asap. Had a doctor put me on ADHD med but no longer on it once I discovered it's basically Meth. Could be a ding.

It very likely could be. You need to have a plan BEFORE applying for ANYTHING with FAA these days, for various rule reasons and "clock starts ticking" reasons...

The person who most around here will recommend speaking with, is Dr. Bruce Chien. His contact information is at www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

It very likely could be. You need to have a plan BEFORE applying for ANYTHING with FAA these days, for various rule reasons and "clock starts ticking" reasons...

The person who most around here will recommend speaking with, is Dr. Bruce Chien. His contact information is at www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Been off the stuff for months. Never should have been on it. Made me feel horrible. Bad advice and no longer see this Dr. Believe he thought he was doing the right thing getting me through the divorce a few years back, getting me back on track/focus.

+1 on discussing with Dr. Chien what you need to know and do about the ADHD med. That is one area that can be a very big hand grenade if not done right.

You guys are great. I am on a number of different forums but the "reach out" here is very cool. Glad I found this forum.

Welcome!

I started training last year at 55. There are lots of us in the same boat -,er, plane.

You'll find lots of great advice on this site. Also lots of BS. The challenge is to survive long enough to figure out which is which. Help yourself to a donut and a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and join in.

Take your time with the training, be patient, and enjoy the journey.

Before you do anything else:

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Do what he tells you to do. Get the pieces of paper he tells you to get. Make sure they say exactly what he told you they have to say. Don't go to just any AME until you have talked to him. Consider a field-trip to Peoria to get your first medical.

There is an easy and a difficult way to do this. Choose the easier one.

Will do. Should I talk to my instructor re concerns or let it slide until I consult with Dr Chien?

Will do. Should I talk to my instructor re concerns or let it slide until I consult with Dr Chien?

The instructor knows nothing about this. Dont involve him, it just has a potential to create problems.

Bruce is not the only one who does the more complex medicals, he just has been very generous on this and the AOPA forum about sharing his knowledge. He helped me a couple of years ago to guide someone with a similar situation to yours through the process. Usually he gets called after someone has made a mess of it. By talking to him first and possibly getting your medical through him, you have the best chances of getting this done in one shot rather than 5 iterations of paperwork shuffle with the FAA in Oklahoma city. FAA aeromedical has a habit of going completely bonkers about ADHD meds, so do whatever you can to not trigger a buerocratic psychotic reaction from them.

Oh, here are some ground rules when dealing with Bruce:
- he doesn't suffer fools easily
- be honest
- no excuses, no minimizing
- be honest

I just checked on his website. It looks like he is moving to Bollingbrook, IL come July 1st. That makes it even easier as it is a non-stop to O'Hare from pretty much anywhere.

Thanks. Will do. So I need to do this fairly quickly before I get to far in?

Welcome!

I started training last year at 55. There are lots of us in the same boat -,er, plane.

You'll find lots of great advice on this site. Also lots of BS. The challenge is to survive long enough to figure out which is which. Help yourself to a donut and a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and join in.

Take your time with the training, be patient, and enjoy the journey.

There is never any bs posted on the forum....

Welcome, JLee!

Any of those aircraft will do fine for training.

One idea would be take a discovery flight in each to accomplish two things: first see if you connect well with the instructors, and second, "audition" the aircraft to see which one you are most comfortable in and enjoy flying.

:yeahthat:

Go for it!

Again thanks. Maybe if all goes well, I can meet some of you at Lakeland next year. Have two friends who go, one a 737 pilot and another a high school bud and former Air Force mechanic with his own aircraft maintenance business now who both go every year.

Yes, as you'll have to collect some paperwork and there is a chance that you have to go for some testing. You don't want to be ready to solo yet you are stuck due to buerocratic hangups with your medical.

Last edited:
Congratulations on taking your first big step. Like you I started at 56. A few things I learned along the way are, don't be hard on yourself. Some days are good - other days you will wonder how or why you got out of bed. Just keep at it and try to measure your improvement. One way is to kept a personal training log where you can in you own words write what you did well and what you need to improve on the next lesson or so. Second, don't set artifical goals, e.g, solo in 10 hrs or finish for the check ride in 40 because everyone else or it the national average. As an older or mature learner, you may need more time - and sometimes lots of it. Nothing wrong with that at all. Third, fly often. I had lots of delays and breaks because of work, weather, etc., and it hurt progression. Finally don't be afraid to use a different CFI from time to time. My primary CFI went off to the regionals (Horizon) after I soloed and I finished with another - great young man who also went to the regionals (Skywest) shortly after my checkride. But when I was struggling from time to time, it was suggested I take a lesson from another CFI at the FBO in case there was a different way of teaching the same thing. Some times it helped, and each CFI taught me something I didn't know.

Good luck!

The instructor knows nothing about this. Dont involve him, it just has a potential to create problems.

Bruce is not the only one who does the more complex medicals, he just has been very generous on this and the AOPA forum about sharing his knowledge. He helped me a couple of years ago to guide someone with a similar situation to yours through the process. Usually he gets called after someone has made a mess of it. By talking to him first and possibly getting your medical through him, you have the best chances of getting this done in one shot rather than 5 iterations of paperwork shuffle with the FAA in Oklahoma city. FAA aeromedical has a habit of going completely bonkers about ADHD meds, so do whatever you can to not trigger a buerocratic psychotic reaction from them.

Oh, here are some ground rules when dealing with Bruce:
- he doesn't suffer fools easily
- be honest
- no excuses, no minimizing
- be honest

I just checked on his website. It looks like he is moving to Bollingbrook, IL come July 1st. That makes it even easier as it is a non-stop to O'Hare from pretty much anywhere.
Don't keep secrets from your instructor.

Everyone knows ADHD meds are a big trap. Tell him you're consulting with a senior AME about it. Then talk to Dr. Chien.

Don't keep secrets from your instructor.

Everyone knows ADHD meds are a big trap. Tell him you're consulting with a senior AME about it. Then talk to Dr. Chien.

Your medical situation is none of your instructors business.

Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation and also POA.

56 is a good age to learn to fly. Heck, any age is a good age.

A 172 is a fine airplane to learn in. It has ushered more pilots towards their certificate than any other.

ADHD, huh? You are the oldest person I know of that had been diagnosed with that. I'm sure that I will be shot down by others whose 98 year old granny has it. I just don't know anyone over 40 who has been diagnosed and put on meds for it. How did that come about? Regardless, most folks on here swear by Dr Chien.

Like some others, it's been a dream for many years that I never followed. Taking my intro fight next week and want to start right. The kids are finally through college, married, and starting their own families. My 30yr marriage is now over(not part of the dream), job's going well, saved a good bit of money, so the time is right. I'm in good shape through hiking, biking, and watching my diet so covered on the medical side. I researched 4 different fight schools in my area and made that decision today. My goal is to get my PPL, IFR, and have fun doing something just for me. The local school I decided on has 2 Diamonds(DA 20 & 40), 2 Cessna 172s, and a Piper Warrior. Of these aircraft, would rather learn in a 172 but have nothing to base that decision on other than YouTube and reading a few threads here. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I was working as a flight instructor, I had students of all ages, the oldest being a doctor at 76 - just started flight training. As for the airplane, I flew almost everything there was, my favored one for training was the Piper Warrior. Get a good CFI, which is crucial, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation and also POA.

56 is a good age to learn to fly. Heck, any age is a good age.

A 172 is a fine airplane to learn in. It has ushered more pilots towards their certificate than any other.

ADHD, huh? You are the oldest person I know of that had been diagnosed with that. I'm sure that I will be shot down by others whose 98 year old granny has it. I just don't know anyone over 40 who has been diagnosed and put on meds for it. How did that come about? Regardless, most folks on here swear by Dr Chien.

Never should have been prescribed but I went along with it. Mistake, which is why I no longer take it.

Not soliciting, but I don't think I'm very far away from you in the N GA mountains.

If you ever make it over this way, love to talk planes and the learning process and to show off my Light Sport Sky Arrow.

JLee, bear in mind that at the moment, if the medical process becomes too daunting, you can skip it and get a Sport Pilot license with just a driver's license in place of a medical.

BUT, if you go for your medical and get denied, that option goes away.

Proceed cautiously and get some help. Dr. Bruce is your best bet.

JLee, bear in mind that at the moment, if the medical process becomes too daunting, you can skip it and get a Sport Pilot license with just a driver's license in place of a medical.

BUT, if you go for your medical and get denied, that option goes away.

Proceed cautiously and get some help. Dr. Bruce is your best bet.

Yep. getting a little nervous about the AME. I was on meds that I don't need and it might bite me.

Not soliciting, but I don't think I'm very far away from you in the N GA mountains.

If you ever make it over this way, love to talk planes and the learning process and to show off my Light Sport Sky Arrow.

Thanks. In the Greenville area so not that far away.

I had to wait to solo due to delay in getting my medical, however, I would not rather have waited. If it makes the whole process take longer, so what, you fly more dual(with instructor). Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't delay the flying for the paperwork. Even if I had not been able to get my medical I would not have regretted the training. I would just tell the CFI that there may be some complications getting the medical but you're working on it and go ahead with the flying. That way the CFI can plan around it if need be.

Back to airplanes: think about training in a model they have more than one of. There will be many times someone else will reserve "your" airplane and many times it will be down for maintenance. There is enough to learn already that you don't want to spend lesson time learning how a different airplane feels or how a different set of radios work or how a different sight picture affects things. Later, fly as big a variety as you can, but for training try to stick with one.

Until you get your medical straightened out, pick up a copy of Stick & Rudder, it's a classic book. You can also work on your ground school. I would hold off on the flying part, the expensive part, until you know your medical is going to work out

I would say yes to getting started with Dr. Bruce before you're too far in.

The medical is required for solo flight. And at two lessons a week with you progressing well on each lesson, you might be ready for that in less than three months. But the punchlist of items that Dr Bruce provides could take significantly longer. So your training might stall while you finish that, and the. Some of the newly learned skills begin to erode.....

I'll echo what @weilke said about Bruce not being the only difficult case AME in the system. The difference is that Bruce is one of the few who will wait until the both of you know you will pass before he begins the official exam process. Many other AME's out there aren't as skilled and toss the spaghetti at the OKC wall to see if it sticks. If it doesn't, then this latter group has put you in jeopardy of being denied. And once your medical is denied, you are prohibited from flying powered aircraft.

Follow Dr. Bruce's directions and have him do this first exam, and you can avoid that.

And doing it sooner than later will give you the peace of mind that you have the all clear to frequently train and enjoy your first solo flight.

FYI, Dr. Bruce is a member of this forum as @bbchien

Your medical situation is none of your instructors business.
Yeah, you know, your instructor has no business scheduling your solo, planning your instruction, or guiding you through the regulations.

But SGOTI does.

DAMN, there can be some terrible advice on this board.

Yeah, you know, your instructor has no business scheduling your solo, planning your instruction, or guiding you through the regulations.

But SGOTI does.

DAMN, there can be some terrible advice on this board.

This is not a question of regulations. This is a question of someones private medical information. Now he was willing to share this here on the internet, but his instructor doesn't need to be involved in what is a private medical issue. The person to deal with his medical certification is his AME (and in this particular case one of a few AMEs familiar with that particular problem and how to get it past the FAA).

Back