Starter trouble

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
My starter bendix has been giving me more and more trouble. Today I could not start the engine after refuelling. Thankfully I was at my home airport and just pushed it into the hanger. The mechanic will look at it tomorrow.

I have already sprayed a lot of silicon in it and frankly I am thinking to just replacing it. Are the Sky-Tec high tourque starters really worth it? Any disadvantages? I am flying a Warrior II (PA28-161) with a O320-D3G engine in it.

smigaldi said:
My starter bendix has been giving me more and more trouble. Today I could not start the engine after refuelling. Thankfully I was at my home airport and just pushed it into the hanger. The mechanic will look at it tomorrow.

I have already sprayed a lot of silicon in it and frankly I am thinking to just replacing it. Are the Sky-Tec high tourque starters really worth it? Any disadvantages? I am flying a Warrior II (PA28-161) with a O320-D3G engine in it.

Just about got stranded on Jekyll Island with my wife by ignoring (yeah, I used a lot of silicon spray too...that's ignoring) this problem. Bought a Sky-Tec starter and haven't looked back. As plane parts go they're relatively inexpensive to buy and install; and they're lighter. OTOH, maybe hand proping a Warrior is easier than a Mooney:rolleyes: .

Remember, there is no majic potion that will replace the machinery.

Lance F said:
Just about got stranded on Jekyll Island with my wife by ignoring (yeah, I used a lot of silicon spray too...that's ignoring) this problem. Bought a Sky-Tec starter and haven't looked back. As plane parts go they're relatively inexpensive to buy and install; and they're lighter. OTOH, maybe hand proping a Warrior is easier than a Mooney:rolleyes: .

Wow, how was flying into Jekyll Island? Nice place.

I have a lot of acquaintances that swear by the Sky-Tec - I think the worst you will hear about them for the most part is that they didn't notice any improvement over an original that was functioning normally.

My friend in a Cessna 170 says it spins the motor much faster.

smigaldi said:

The shaft the bendix slides fore/aft on collects oil, grease, dirt, moisture, etc. and eventually becomes fouled enough that the bendix will not extend/engage. Silicon oil will loosen things temporarily but it doesn't fix the problem (the gunk on the shaft). I found that removing the starter, holding the bendix so that the shaft is vertical, and hosing the stuffing out of it with solvent, then re-applying silicon oil would fix the problem for several years. After two or three cycles (solvent clean--works--sticks--solvent clean--works--sticks) I decided the light weight starters were the way to go. I have never regretted the decision.

I solved the problem by installing a Sky-Tec lightweight starter.

I am thinking of going with the High-Tourque Inline Lycoming starter is that a good choice or should I stick with the super fly weight ones?

Last edited:
Ordered it today and should have it tomorrow. My mechanic tried to pitch the Lamar starter as a cheaper alternative, but I hemmed over having bendix troubles a few years down the road. He did warn me that in the event of an engine kickback Sky-Tec starter face covers will shatter. I thought the newer ones came witha shear pin to aleviate this from happening? Anyone?

The bendix starter needs preventive maintenance during the annual inspection to clean out all the grease and carbon built up inside from the brushes and other stuff. It takes some time to remove and clean (should be done by A&P). The Sky-Tec starter will solve most of your problems so it comes down to cost of doing business. Pay a mechanic to clean the bendix vs the cost of a Sky-Tec.

Just from my own experience as an A&P the Sky-Tec is a better product, but that is my opinion I am sure bendix would disagree.

Stache

Stache said:
The bendix starter needs preventive maintenance during the annual inspection to clean out all the grease and carbon built up inside from the brushes and other stuff. It takes some time to remove and clean (should be done by A&P). The Sky-Tec starter will solve most of your problems so it comes down to cost of doing business. Pay a mechanic to clean the bendix vs the cost of a Sky-Tec.

Just from my own experience as an A&P the Sky-Tec is a better product, but that is my opinion I am sure bendix would disagree.

Stache

Just came out of annual and was cleaned but has been getting worse and worse for the past year. I just decided that I did not want to have to deal with it any longer and I would rather have reliability than having to wait on service if I were to get stuck somewhere.

wsuffa said:
I solved the problem by installing a Sky-Tec lightweight starter.

Ditto. Cranks fast. Has lasted me a few years. It required replacing the AL battery bus cable with copper, which wasn't a bad thing to do anyway.

I've seen some reports of problems with the Sky-Tec, but I didn't have any - maybe because I did have the cable replaced.

Oh. It also requires a W&B adjustment because it's less weight at the nose.

mikea said:
Ditto. Cranks fast. Has lasted me a few years. It required replacing the AL battery bus cable with copper, which wasn't a bad thing to do anyway.

I've seen some reports of problems with the Sky-Tec, but I didn't have any - maybe because I did have the cable replaced.

Oh. It also requires a W&B adjustment because it's less weight at the nose.
I was out at the hanger today and removed the cowlings and the old starter. I test fit the new sky-tec one and it fits fine except for the cable. Later this week I'll fabricate the cable with my mechanic and finish the install. Looks like this is going to be an easy one. I cannot wait to be able to turn the key and not have to have my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
hey Scott, i am getting in a little late on this. I got tired of the old prestolite problems. If the bendix wasn't sticking the little shaft was breaking! Having the starter disassembled, cleaned, tightened and lubed each annual was a big help. But after the last one busted i went with the skytech and i am happy. Its only been just over a year so hard to make a ringing endorsement. One thing I was going to mention was the skytech pulls a lot more power. And when we first installed it, the old gill would barely turn it. I actually had to use the starter switch to rock the prop through the first compression stroke. The first thing i did was go back and check the batt connections to make sure they were tight, and when they were so hot they blistered my thumb and finger i realized i'd found a problem! The old braided battery connections, running throught the batt box, held on by the rusty old bolt, had so much resistance there wasn't enough power gettting to the starter. We did the bogert box mod and that solved my problems. She spinned more than adequately to fire up. Last fall I got the concorde rg35xac(?) sealed battery and man, what a difference that baby made! good luck! tc

tom clark said:
hey Scott, i am getting in a little late on this. I got tired of the old prestolite problems. If the bendix wasn't sticking the little shaft was breaking! Having the starter disassembled, cleaned, tightened and lubed each annual was a big help. But after the last one busted i went with the skytech and i am happy. Its only been just over a year so hard to make a ringing endorsement. One thing I was going to mention was the skytech pulls a lot more power. And when we first installed it, the old gill would barely turn it. I actually had to use the starter switch to rock the prop through the first compression stroke. The first thing i did was go back and check the batt connections to make sure they were tight, and when they were so hot they blistered my thumb and finger i realized i'd found a problem! The old braided battery connections, running throught the batt box, held on by the rusty old bolt, had so much resistance there wasn't enough power gettting to the starter. We did the bogert box mod and that solved my problems. She spinned more than adequately to fire up. Last fall I got the concorde rg35xac(?) sealed battery and man, what a difference that baby made! good luck! tc

Thanks. I have Al wire to deal with too. I will run some copper form teh relay to the starter as a first step and I am thinking a new battery is probably in the works. If the Al wire fromt eh relay to the batt is still capable of carrying the current and turns the starter I will hold off until annual next year to change that out too.

Tomorrow (12 Apr) I will install and test the new starter. Wish me luck.

Piece of cake to install. On Saturday I removed the cowlings and the old starter. I verified the fit for the new skytec starter and did see that the cable to the starter would need to be changed. I did not want to do anymore until I talked with my mechanic as all he told me to do was to take it apart.

Today I got to the airport at 8:30 am and spoke to the mechanic and he said to get it all installed. This took 45 minutes including the safety wiring. I then sized the new cable and got that made up, installed it, cleaned up all the cable ties and then tested it.

WOW! it turned the prop much faster and it kicked right over. I let it rest for a while and then started it again. I took some pics so you can see it before I put back on the cowls.

This was an easy repair that I did most of the work on. The mechanic spent about an hour tops of his time dealing with me and the paper work. I gained 1.5 lbs of usefull load with the NL High tourque Skytec starter over the Lamar.

Scott

Attachments

• skytec1.jpg
    skytec1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 37
  • skytec2.jpg
    skytec2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 34
Back