Started studying for IR

Frogs97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frogs97
I used the Sporty's videos for my PPL and figured I'd give them a try for the IR, too. Dadgum, this is a freaking alphabet soup of terms. I've not been able to spend a whole lot of time on them, and I knew I was going to need to go through them a few times to get the gist ... but I feel like this is a much more concept to grasp than anything in the PPL!

Hang in there.

I must admit, I like the corny King videos better than Sporty's. They break things down a little more.

I'm about to take the test the second time. First time I got over 90% - back in 2007. It's a bugger of an exam..

Your IR rating, both the written and the practical test is one of the toughest things to get. But it's also really rewarding and very useful, so hang in there. Try to do it as quickly as possible as it's a lot to digest and you will forget if you just do a flight once every month or two weeks. Cramming helps, in my opinion.

It is much tougher then the PPL in my opinion, but in a different way. You head will explode...and it should, but it will eventually all start coming together as you progress...or at least it should!

As my CFII said...once you pass this, everything else from here on out will seem like a cake walk!

I went with the King program but the free Pilot Edge workshops were are great supplemental resource for me to get my head around a lot of the concepts.

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

Last edited:
Having recently finished my instrument rating, I feel for you.

Good God there are a lot of acronyms. It's much more of a book/procedure learning thing than the private pilot training was.

Then, before long, you'll be setting up the GPS for a HILPT prior to the IAF on an LPV.

And writing down stuff like

123XY C KSNS dep LT 290 RV SJC SNS -D> 3000 -5> 5000 121.3 SQ 4567

[yes, that's a real clearance]

And you WILL understand it, and read it back correctly without retrying. Sooner than you think.

It is much tougher then the PPL in my opinion, but in a different way. You head will explode...and it should, but it will eventually all start coming together as you progress...or at least it should!

As my CFII said...once you pass this, everything else from here on out will seem like a cake walk!

I went with the King program but the free Pilot Edge workshops were are great supplemental resource for me to get my head around a lot of the concepts.

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

Man I wish I had normal internet so I could watch the pilot edge stuff. One of them videos would eat all my data for the month.

I used the King videos as well. I got through the test easily, but it was difficult to stay awake through the videos. :)

"Those three magic words, "readback correct"... LOL...

http://youtu.be/eQrxtdKEOcM

(Just some dude's video but I laughed since "readback" is always one word in FAA source material and he thinks of it as two. I'm not picking on him. It just made me chuckle.)

I used the Sporty's videos for my PPL and figured I'd give them a try for the IR, too. Dadgum, this is a freaking alphabet soup of terms. I've not been able to spend a whole lot of time on them, and I knew I was going to need to go through them a few times to get the gist ... but I feel like this is a much more concept to grasp than anything in the PPL!

If you want someone local to help with review an study, let me know and I'll help.

Good luck. It's a very good rating to get.

It's much more technical than the PPL written. There are some overlaps on some of the weather items and a few other areas like cloud clearance requirements where literally the same questions from the PPL can come up.

Just keep at it. Eventually the things will start to click. Flying some practice approaches and a bunch of short IFR x-country trips with your CFI-II and will help getting a lot of this to click.

I started out with Sporty's videos but felt they were just a bit shallow most of the time. Read a lot of Machado's stuff and ground through Jep's book. Jep has some of the best detail but the presentation is worse than many of my engineering textbooks...of course what technical writer would want to work with guys who document instrument approaches for a living?

brian];1938309 said:
Hang in there.

I must admit, I like the corny King videos better than Sporty's. They break things down a little more.

I'm about to take the test the second time. First time I got over 90% - back in 2007. It's a bugger of an exam..

That.

I wrote this up to help folks at your stage. I hope this helps:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76676

"Those three magic words, "readback correct"... LOL...

http://youtu.be/eQrxtdKEOcM

(Just some dude's video but I laughed since "readback" is always one word in FAA source material and he thinks of it as two. I'm not picking on him. It just made me chuckle.)

Aw, I love Gary Wing's little videos. Full of nice quick reminders.

Man, thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone. Really I was just taking a moment to vent after being thoroughly confused by the acronyms! Great recommendations!

Back