Started on the REAL AIRPLANE...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Okay, I'm done with the practice kit, got started on REAL AIRPLANE PARTS TODAY! Whoo-hoo! Pictures are on the blog. Thanks for the encouragement from those of you still following this adventure. Can't wait to fly this thing!

Wow. I'm jealous !

I was just looking over the performance specifications of the RV-7...Impressive.

Looks like a lot of fun!

Troy Whistman said:
Okay, I'm done with the practice kit, got started on REAL AIRPLANE PARTS TODAY! Whoo-hoo! Pictures are on the blog. Thanks for the encouragement from those of you still following this adventure. Can't wait to fly this thing!

This will be done in time for you to show it off at Gaston's right? :D

Troy's time when RV is completed

Time Spent on designing and assembling work bench,
Tools and Work shop including practice parts 942.3 hrs

Time spent photographing, Documenting and Posting
about assembly and build process on line 583.6 hrs

Time spend building RV-7 52.4 hrs

Seriously Troy I am super impressed great organization and attention to detail. This will be one beautiful plane. I do have one question. You and your "staff" are all appropriately wearing safety golves, glasses and hearing protection. Do you use a respirator for when you are creating all that Aluminium Oxide dust? I'm sure the process will create a lot of other dust as well. I enjoy reading the blog thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:

NICE WORK..

NC19143 said:
NICE WORK..

I think he's having too much fun. First you build the nice shop in the garage, then you build an airplane. This will be fun to follow.

Troy, getting that compliment from Tom is high praise, indeed. We've seen pictures of what he is doing to that Fairchild.

Ghery said:
I think he's having too much fun. First you build the nice shop in the garage, then you build an airplane. This will be fun to follow.

Troy, getting that compliment from Tom is high praise, indeed. We've seen pictures of what he is doing to that Fairchild.

I know, I'm a fan of Tom's work and was flattered that he took the time to email me... as an experienced mechanic, he said the pictures looked like I might have squashed the rivets a little further than spec. I went and take a look and sent these pictures to Tom, and we think they're okay. THANK YOU TOM! I hope he keeps watching/advising, as I've never done this before, and even after reading all the plans, books, sites, etc., there is nothing quite like having a real, experienced builder look over your work and give you advice.

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpg
    IMG_6149.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 36
They're beautiful! Now there are bound to be a lot of places where you won't get to use the squeezer? Air driven ones have a little higher difficulty level, I'm sure you're aware... and I bet yours turn out perfect, Troy. You are going at all this The Right Way, Troy!
:)

Troy Whistman said:
Troy,

Can't remember if we discussed this earlier or not, but have you checked out Jay Pratt's RV Central? http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm

He's at Hicks Airfield (T67), and there are a LOT of RVs at that airport. In addition, lot of the RV flyers from both Hicks and Northwest Regional (52F) head up to Caddo Mills at Lake Texoma, usually once a month, for a fly-in. Nice grass strip and less than a mile's easy walk to the docks and the restaurant.

A partner and I built an RV8 from the ground up, jig, the whole bit. Won't ever do THAT again--but as soon as he finishes scraping up the money, I'm going to sell my half of the plane to him and am thinking hard about building an RV10 (or a Four Winds--haven't quite decided yet).

And you probably have this website, but this is probably the best RV site there is right now http://www.vansairforce.net/

It is definitely a labor of love--plus, don't hesitate to call Van's support network if you have questions.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

-JD

Ahhhh... What MARVELOUS memories.. It's funny. You, like SO many other RV builders, have an awesome website early in the process. It will be interesting to watch the decline of website quality as the random pieces of sheet metal slowly produce what looks more and more like an airplane. ha! When dad and I were building the RV-7A 2 years ago, the internet was a priceless tool, but as we got further into the process, the info online slowly dwindled. We also noticed that the quality of our own website (www.oncloud7.com/rv7.htm) plumeted as we got closer and closer to having a 'real' airplane. Funny how website work seems less important once you realize you're so close to having a flying machine!

ANYWHO.. Here's a link to a video of my first flight in the plane April 14th, 2004. Dad flew it the first time the evening before, and I got the first flight the following morning. Talk about not getting any sleep at night! The audio quality is pretty poor (we borrowed someone's digital video camera), but you can still get some of the 'feel' for it.

http://www.oncloud7.com/video/Chris first flight edited.WMV

You will definitely enjoy the build process. But once you get 'er flying, you'll be wondering how you lived without it in the first place!

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Chris

Back