Starlink Beta - Impressive

Not sure what has changed, but our StarLink speed has recently taken a significant jump upwards. Sometimes in the evening it could struggle to get 10 mbps. Tonight, it’s as high as 100+ mbps, with occasional dips to 30-50 mbps

More satellites? Something else? Anyone else noticed this?

Not sure what has changed, but our StarLink speed has recently taken a significant jump upwards. Sometimes in the evening it could struggle to get 10 mbps. Tonight, it’s as high as 100+ mbps, with occasional dips to 30-50 mbps

More satellites? Something else? Anyone else noticed this?

In the past few months mine has been pretty variable- as low as 20 but occasionally hitting speeds around 70. I just ran 4 tests in a row and it's all over the place 27, 90, 20, 117 down. I wonder if there's some routing optimization running in the background that accounts for the variability.

I’ve seen the same thing. 100+mbps when I started in the spring, 20-50mbps for the last few months and the back up to 100+, 129mbps this morning. I was also having issues with random pages not loading and just hanging. Like a micro outage. They are sending a replacement cable and router to hopefully fix that.

Musk moved satellites to Ukraine and now they ****ed him off so he moved them back.

totally kidding.

I was also having issues with random pages not loading and just hanging. Like a micro outage. They are sending a replacement cable and router to hopefully fix that.

I am not an expert on CG-NAT and I made a little of this up, but it will probably be pretty close.

I think the hanging issue might be because Starlink (and some other ISPs) use Carrier Grade NAT, CG-NAT, CGNAT.

My ISP uses it and I see this from time to time, maybe daily. A web page fails to open, reload fixes it. Sometimes I get an "address changed" notice in the page.
CG-NAT is used to conserve IP (Version 4) addresses. When you connect the ISP allocates you an address, not unique to you, and maybe a block of ports to use as your Source Address for each TCP session. Other users get a different block of ports but the same address. A single web page will have multiple TCP sessions and new ones will be added as you click links.

If/when that block runs out they need to give you a new address. Boom! your existing session might die.

This would go away if you could convert to IPV6 which has far more addresses.

If I am correct replacing the router won't help:)

Other that the very occasional drop out everything I do is fine. I only noticed the existence of CG-NAT on a project with Meraki router-to-router VPN networks.

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-check-whether-or-not-your-isp-performs-cgnat/

In the past few months mine has been pretty variable- as low as 20 but occasionally hitting speeds around 70. I just ran 4 tests in a row and it's all over the place 27, 90, 20, 117 down. I wonder if there's some routing optimization running in the background that accounts for the variability.
That may be part of it, but I also think that Elon is balancing how many subscribers he brings on to add to revenue, while firing more satellites up as fast as he can to add capacity. It's probably a very dynamic challenge. With bean counters, regulators, governments, and investors providing additional churn.

“I think the hanging issue might be because Starlink (and some other ISPs) use Carrier Grade NAT, CG-NAT, CGNAT.”
I think your right. I also see my IP address changing every five minuets.
It’s weird, I can stream a 4K movie with buffering just fine, but it can croak on a web page. No issues on ComSuck.

Back