Star Trek; Continues

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
http://www.startrekcontinues.com/star-trek-continues-episode-1-pilgrim-of-eternity/#.VEaFsvnF-So

Well, some good, some not so good. The story of how it gets made is pretty interesting. They must have sanction from the original as they use a lot of music, and character, and plot lines, as well as the sets.

The acting is very scattered. Some scenes are very good, while others are pretty horrible. Oh - and the hair stylist for the women on the show deserves special mention. Not sure for the great work, or the mess, but either way the work is interesting.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/star-trek-continues-episode-1-pilgrim-of-eternity/#.VEaFsvnF-So

Well, some good, some not so good. The story of how it gets made is pretty interesting. They must have sanction from the original as they use a lot of music, and character, and plot lines, as well as the sets.

The acting is very scattered. Some scenes are very good, while others are pretty horrible. Oh - and the hair stylist for the women on the show deserves special mention. Not sure for the great work, or the mess, but either way the work is interesting.

Fascinating

No time to check, but I'd that is that home grown ST with the ship Farregut (SP?)? If so, they get a pass on all the legal stuff because they don't make any money at it

I wonder who owns the 'Intellectual Property'? I know Niven encouraged people who wrote 'in his universe', anyone know Roddenberry's disposition on this?

It's not the Farragut, but the original Enterprise, with the original crew. They just start off at year 4 of the original series: "It's FIVE year mission - to seek out...." So they are presenting year 4 now, and if it's picked up maybe year 5, etc.

The first episodes are going to be re-hashes of the already made episodes. The first one reprised "Who mourns for Adonis". The second one revisits "Mirror Mirror" with the alternate universe of despotic Kirk, Spock, etc. Maybe they'll get original in the next set of episodes, or maybe not.

For the first one, they got the original actor for Apollo to come in and do the part. He was by far the best actor of the group.

I thought I saw somewhere that it's in post-production.

I am both hopeful and dubious of it... maybe if gets picked up by a network they can rework it and fix some of problems. IDK.

I really really want to see some good new space-centric sci-fi on though. There really doesn't seem to be anything good out now. We need another Galactica or Firefly or a new Star Trek or something along those lines.

I thought I saw somewhere that it's in post-production.

I am both hopeful and dubious of it... maybe if gets picked up by a network they can rework it and fix some of problems. IDK.

I really really want to see some good new space-centric sci-fi on though. There really doesn't seem to be anything good out now. We need another Galactica or Firefly or a new Star Trek or something along those lines.

If someone took Ringworld and made a good production out of it, that would be excellent.

I'm eagerly awaiting seeing Honor Harrington in theaters.

I think be cause they are providing the episodes for free and there is no commercial gain, they can use the intellectual property freely.

Are we talking FanFic here? Lots of it involving Star Trek characters, etc., over the past 50 years, and nobody's going to do anything as long as there's no money involved.

Always been a fan.

Roddenberry had a great vision, and was a interesting person, they did a good job keeping inline with that for the Voyager and post Roddenberry stuff.

Last movie was more of a shoot em up kinda move, hope this next one doesn't end up as one of those movies that doesn't require sub titles over seas... If ya know what I mean.

Last edited:
The second episode 'Lolani' was much better. Despite some rough patches in wooden acting, the story line was well fleshed out, some nice scantily clad women, and there was some moralizing along with the human element as well.

Oh, and Kirk gets a woody so it's all good. Lou Ferrigno guests as a massive alien green giant. Well cast.

I can see the crew is starting to work together better. The queues are not as obvious, and they seem to know it's ok to go off script a bit, or alter the timing a bit to fit the scene.

Only watched the first one, good fun. Love the way they even pace to commercial breaks, capture the feel of the original.

As much as we can criticize the original Star Trek, it really was a groundbreaking show, and very entertaining. It was a reflection of the current times, and I still enjoy watching the show to this day. I like that they are trying to capture the feel, and story lines of the original.

My 10 year old son found my original Star Trek dvd's and rifled through them in about a week... I think he has seen them all twice now...

I will take a look at these when I get a chance...

Sulu played by Mythbuster's Grant Imahara. Bit of a step down, blowing up models rather than actual vehicles.

James Doohan's son Chris Doohan reprises his dad's role as Scotty from the original. Chris is not the best, but his dad was not the best either in the first two years. All of the actors are melding into the roles pretty well. I'm sure there's added pressure because the original roles are mega-iconic. That of course, means you can go off type much.

Sulu played by Mythbuster's Grant Imahara. Bit of a step down, blowing up models rather than actual vehicles.

I think Mythbusters canned everyone except Jamie & Adam this season... Not sure, but is this technically Grant's first acting job... not sure if Mythbusters qualifies as acting, more of a reality show, not quite scripted.

James Doohan's son Chris Doohan reprises his dad's role as Scotty from the original. Chris is not the best, but his dad was not the best either in the first two years. All of the actors are melding into the roles pretty well. I'm sure there's added pressure because the original roles are mega-iconic. That of course, means you can go off type much.

Melding... Mind melding...

No time to check, but I'd that is that home grown ST with the ship Farregut (SP?)? If so, they get a pass on all the legal stuff because they don't make any money at it
Copyright has nothing to do with money. It's the concept of intellectual property and who owns it. Disney is notorious for protecting its IP rights. It will even force a day care to remove the Disney characters painted on the windows.

The folks doing the Farragut and some fan groups have explicit permission from Paramount to play in the ST universe as long as they don't use Paramount material. In the past, Paramount cracked down on copyrighted material being used. It comes in waves - sometimes it's benign tolerance, other times the heavy hand. What's interesting is the law suits involving digital rights often reference Star Trek.

Star Wars is a different situation up until last year when Disney bought LucasFilms. Until then, George Lucas encouraged fan material as long as it remained in the context & universe. Don't know what's going to happen now that Disney owns it.

I wonder who owns the 'Intellectual Property'? I know Niven encouraged people who wrote 'in his universe', anyone know Roddenberry's disposition on this?

ST was originally owned by Roddenberry (Norway Productions) and Desilu. Down the road Desilu was bought by Paramount (actually, Engulf & Devour, as David Gerrold refers to it). Paramount owns all the film rights, CBS Productions owns all the TV rights. I have no doubt that deals were in place for "piece of the action" for Gene as the creator, but with Majel gone, I don't think anyone will speak about it.

If you read the credits on the films, Gene is listed (WGA rules) as the creator but any further involvement with the films was uncredited, and Norway Productions never referred to in the credits of the films. At least none that I can find.

I think be cause they are providing the episodes for free and there is no commercial gain, they can use the intellectual property freely.

Nope - go talk to an IP lawyer for the specifics. What they can do is make use of "some" material as Fair Use or Parody under the IP rules. Money has nothing to do with it.

Copyright law before 1978 was 27 years + 27 years extension. So a work made from 1909 to 1978 could have a maximum of 54 years after it was created. In this case the last episode of the original Star Trek was in 1968 or 1969, and therefore in 2023 it will technically become "Public Domain" However I would bet Paramount or the current owners of the original series will fight it.

The new copyright law is the life of the author + 50 years after the authors death.

Where this might become sticky is since they had movies after the 1978 change in copyright law, do the original works prior to 1978 fall under the new or the old law because the actors and the parts fall under both pre and post 1978 law?

My hunch would be those works prior to 1978 will be the 54 years, and those after will fall under the new law. But our legal system sometimes often leaves me scratching my head in amazement of the insanity..

Last edited:
ST was originally owned by Roddenberry (Norway Productions) and Desilu. Down the road Desilu was bought by Paramount (actually, Engulf & Devour, as David Gerrold refers to it). Paramount owns all the film rights, CBS Productions owns all the TV rights. I have no doubt that deals were in place for "piece of the action" for Gene as the creator, but with Majel gone, I don't think anyone will speak about it.

If you read the credits on the films, Gene is listed (WGA rules) as the creator but any further involvement with the films was uncredited, and Norway Productions never referred to in the credits of the films. At least none that I can find.

That brings up an interesting question, who owns the rights to the 'Webcast'? Who owns the rights to the concepts and characters?

The last two feature releases WERE the crew of an Enterprise FAN based ship. It shows what a good concept some of the fan based stuff really is. Go google star trek fan show. Bad acting, good stories.

Back