Standing cloud wave

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I caught this picture on Monday morning - we were roughly over Valpriso, IN, photo is looking NE The cloud shape would have started probably somewhere around Chicago and then goes over South Bend and down to Ft Wayne. Maybe it wasn't over those towns, but that was the shape of the bend. We were around 10,000', figure the cloud tops were around 5500.

Anyone know what kind of weather this represents? It's a bit of a cool picture but the constant nature of the wave tells me there's something going on weather wise but I don't know what.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 217
hard to tell exactly. lots of things cause ripples in the atmosphere. cool picture!

That's a real short wavelength. Definitely stable air, probably very little wind speed.

If that's over the lake shore, there could be a sudden temperature change there, leading to an impulse.

It's not really a cloud, they were testing out the new high coverage Chemtrail system, and that is the track line of the plane that distributed it. Looks pretty effective.

Probably just a brief bit of instability from a temp gradient. What's the land cover look like underneath? Any noticeable changes?

Either that or it's mechanical, but I have no idea what's underneath there.

It's pretty flat land there. All you have is buildings and the lake shore.

Right, northern Indiana, there's no land features matching this underneath so I don't think it's mechanical.

My best guess was a frontal boundary, it pretty much stretched as far as I could see from one edge of the cattle window to the next.

It's pretty flat land there. All you have is buildings and the lake shore.

Right, northern Indiana, there's no land features matching this underneath so I don't think it's mechanical.

My best guess was a frontal boundary, it pretty much stretched as far as I could see from one edge of the cattle window to the next.

Yea, definitely not mechanical then. Here's your surface analysis for Monday, spot on with the front sagging in the area.

namussfc2015062212.gif

Back