Stable IFR Platform

The Arrows were being produced at the same time as the Comanches, but I would call them similar only as far as I would call a 172 and a 182 similar.

A Skyhawk... Safest, easiest, stable IFR platform ever invented... Add to that a coupled autopilot and you have given yourself the best odds of getting there in one piece in IMC...

denny-o

I did most of my private training in the 172, but I think even my cherokee
140 is a more stable IFR platform than the 172.

I was offering possible reasons why Piper choose not to continue manufacturing the Comanche -- a direct competitor to the Bonanza.

And when you choices are a) replace the tooling to resume production of a design that's expensive to produce, or b) take a Cherokee Six that's cheaper to build and put retractable gear on it, Piper chose b and came up with the Lance.

Trapper John

And when you choices are a) replace the tooling to resume production of a design that's expensive to produce, or b) take a Cherokee Six that's cheaper to build and put retractable gear on it, Piper chose b and came up with the Lance.

Trapper John

... because it was easier to compete in a market that had no competition...

How about this for stable?
picture.php

Sure, more people have A36s on their wish lists than Lances, but it's still a nice plane.

Trapper John

I'd fly it!

:yesnod:

But -- back to the Comanche decision -- I think it was driven by recognition that the Bonanza market was small, owned by Beech, and the Comanche would likely cannibalize sales of other Piper retracts -- not take much from Beech.

I'd fly it!

:yesnod:

But -- back to the Comanche decision -- I think it was driven by recognition that the Bonanza market was small, owned by Beech, and the Comanche would likely cannibalize sales of other Piper retracts -- not take much from Beech.

Lots of factors involved I'm sure. Piper was taken over by Bangor Punta in 1971 which made them more bottom-line oriented, the Comanches weren't selling very well, the flood comes, and the rest is history.

I'd make a guess though, that the Debonairs probably took more sales away from Piper than the full-blown Bonanzas.

Trapper John

Ted, Ted, Ted.

When will you ever learn? The Mooney is the best plane ever made, there are no other planes that are even worthy to be on the same ramp as the illustrious flip tailed rocket. To compare any aircraft ever made to a Mooney will always, ALWAYS, be an apples to oranges comparison.

(ridiculous reference to a Grumman Tiger removed)

I really, really, really need to keep from wandering off the MAPAlist.

All I can say is that I am very, very, very glad we have such choices. Take that away and one gets Trabants.

A Skylane... Safest, easiest, stable IFR platform ever invented... Add to that a coupled autopilot and you have given yourself the best odds of getting there in one piece in IMC...

denny-o
Fixed that for you! :)

All I can say is that I am very, very, very glad we have such choices. Take that away and one gets Trabants.

It is good to be in the US, isn't it?

I have heard horror stories of guys taking their planes into countries where there is no such thing as a "Private Pilot".

Ya gottah luv it--pilots arguing over aircraft!!!

I loved my A36 -- responsive, roomy, fast, and just a lovely coast-to-coast or touch-and-go airplane. I'd have one again today in a heartbeat if I could afford it (I had deeper-pocketed partner then). But it demanded pretty steady attention to hand-fly IFR (or VFR, for that matter), and I'd often snap back to reality and find myself 100-200 feet off altitude and/or 10-30 deg off course. I figured that was the price of the lovely fingertip flying feel, and I never minded, or turned on the autopilot much. Like anything, you get better as you go, and my deviations got smaller and less frequent over time, though it would still bite me if my attention wandered.

My C-182, by comparison, is a bit of a truck, though I love it almost as much. It doesn't seem to wander quite as much or as quickly as the Beech, so my impression is that that makes it a more stable IFR platform. This is utterly subjective, of course, but the 182 seems a little more stable than a 172 I flew right seat in a lot, maybe because it's heavier. Or maybe because it has so much more elbow room than the 172 I ascribe other good qualities to it as well.

Actually the Comanche was made as a competitor to the Mooney line-up. And as you can see from my signature which one it is I'd choose :) I regretfully strayed off into Mooney land for a short while but I cam back to the light side.

As far as Cessna vs. Piper in turbulence I have found that Piper is FAR more stable. (Comparing PA28R to a C172 that is) In turbulence I find I am fighting the aircraft in a Cessna, where as in the Arrow I am fighting with the plane against the turbulence, the control inputs against said turbulence feels much more deliberate. But this may be different if I had more Piper time in a Cherokee or Archer etc.

Last edited:
Actually the Comanche was made as a competitor to the Mooney line-up. And as you can see from my signature which one it is I'd choose :) I regretfully strayed off into Mooney land for a short while but I cam back to the light side.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone who was cured of Mooniacitis, or managed to survive the treatment (loss of contact with a Mooney).

I shudder at the thought.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone who was cured of Mooniacitis, or managed to survive the treatment (loss of contact with a Mooney).

I shudder at the thought.

I seem to have survived, even though I miss the thing.

I seem to have survived, even though I miss the thing.

I flew mine this morning, just a quick buzz up past the 50 NM CC mark with a landing. As of today, I have sixty hours in her and still trailing behind--an awesome plane. Humbling and yet forgiving, so slippery, so smooth.

Fortunately there was no turbulence so I didn't test the headliner insulation today :lol:

The only thing I miss about flying a Mooney is having my left elbow jammed into my ribcage when flying. Oh wait, I don't miss that at all.

Ed is by no means fat, Might I add we VERY comfortably sat next to eachother in his Comanche, granted I weigh 120 now and weighed 110 at the time.

Quick, click here.

I'm just quoting this to show Mooney drivers are clueless. At 6-3 and some change and 195lbs, I am nowhere in need of a diet. It is the 6'-7" wingspan and the wide shoulders that make it an issue. But seeing that you've had the plane 60 hours and are still behind it, I can understand why you are having trouble comprehending.

The only Mooney I have actually flown, left seat and PIC, was the Porsche Mooney when they were trying to sell me one... Seemed to be a fine airplane, but way too tight with a passenger (salesman)... I didn't feel it exceeded my Super Viking by enough to part with the money (way too tight with my money)...

denny-o

Austin -

You have AADD don't you? (Aircraft A.D.D.) First you want a Comanche, then a Mooney, then a Comanche, then a Viking...

Austin -

You have AADD don't you? (Aircraft A.D.D.) First you want a Comanche, then a Mooney, then a Comanche, then a Viking...

Is that a bad thing? You should've seen how often it changed before I liked the RG's it changed every day, I dont even remember all of them. It was a Viking before the first Comanche. It does seem that I am having trouble deciding between Comanche vs. Viking. They are both excellent, beautiful aircraft that are very capable, Can't really decide but the Viking looks cooler. If I needed another reason not to like the mooney, our friend here helped with that one.

Last edited:
Before you know it, Austin will decide he needs a DC-3, and nothing else will do. :D

Actually, I commend him on being practical and dreaming within a realistic budget. That's hard to do. When I was in high school trying to figure out what my first car would be I went from everything between a Buick Grand National to a retired New York City transit bus (no joke). Settled on an '82 Jaguar XJ-S. When I was figuring out my plane I went between Lancair 360s, Mooneys, Comanches, Aztecs, Barons, 310s, 340s, Navajos, 421s...

In the end, a good deal fell in my lap and I took it. Austin, being the smart person that he is, will probably do the same when the time comes., assuming a deal falls in his lap. Hmm... that might be a good time for me to upgrade from the Aztec... ;)

Back