St. Simons Island (KSSI) PIREPS

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I'm planning a day trip to St. Simons Island ina couple of weeks. Any tips/gotchas on KSSI and Golden Isles Aviation?

I do have a rental car reserved with AVIS on the airport.

We plan to do the lighthouse museum and some of the trails at Cannon's Point Preserve.

One of my favorite places to eat is “Barbara Jeans” down in the village area. If you like crab cakes and other seafood, it is a good place to go. It’s not far from the lighthouse.

I see that you already have a rental car lined up. For others contemplating a stop at KSSI, they do have courtesy cars available if you only need a car for a couple of hours. The staff at the airport has always been very friendly and helpful all of the times I’ve been there.

If you have any spare time you might want to drop by Jekyll Island 09J too. The historic district of Jekyll is pretty cool. They have electric ‘Red Bug’ vehicles you can rent at the airport to ride around the island. The historic district is close to the airport.

I don’t know if you are into cycling, but both of these islands are fun places to bike ride too. I often fly down to KSSI and cycle over to Barbara Jeans, eat lunch, then spend the afternoon cycling around the island before flying home. Jekyll has a paved bike path that circles the island.

Last edited:
I haven’t been yet, but I’ve heard the WWII museum in the old Coast Guard Station is good. It focuses on what was going on here in the States during the war. You can also access the beach right there.

If you have the time, the trolley tour is actually pretty good. A lot of history on the island.

If you prefer barbecue over seafood, Go to Southern Soul right by the Airport.

If you are trying to pick up an IFR clearance from JAX on the ground, taxi away from the buildings.

We’ve been to Cumberland and Jekyll already (second Jekyll for cycling).

good tips on clearance! Just the sort of things I’m looking for. Keep them coming!

Looks like weather is going to cooperate! Woohoo!

I flew down to KSSI to meet up with some pilot friends today. We ate at ‘Fiddlers’. This was a new restaurant for me. I really liked it and will definitely go back again. The service and food were both good and it had a nice view of the marsh. Just thought I would share the PIREP.

I flew down to KSSI to meet up with some pilot friends today. We ate at ‘Fiddlers’. This was a new restaurant for me. I really liked it and will definitely go back again. The service and food were both good and it had a nice view of the marsh. Just thought I would share the PIREP.

I just saw that place for the first time when we there in January. We plan on trying it when pick my daughter up from school.

SSI is great. Recommend checking out Jekyll Island as well. Really nice small airport with a company called, Red Bug on the field that rents golf carts that you can take around the island. Worse thing about SSI and the rest of the Golden Isles are the "no see-um" biting gnats.

We had a great day exploring SSI a few months back. No bugs. I’m a BBQ snob and wasn’t so impressed about Sothern Soul but it didn’t hurt the experience.

St. Simons also has some civil war history centered on the church there. A series of historical novels, based pretty well on historical information, came out, the most famous being The Beloved Invader. I grew up close to St. Simons and lived a while on an island just up the coast. Lots of things to see up and down the intra-coaster waterway.

St. Simons also has some civil war history centered on the church there. A series of historical novels, based pretty well on historical information, came out, the most famous being The Beloved Invader. I grew up close to St. Simons and lived a while on an island just up the coast. Lots of things to see up and down the intra-coaster waterway.

can you recommend any good golf courses near the airport?

Sorry I can't-it's been years and years since I lived in Georgia. I was a golfer but don't have any recollection of SS courses. I can't imagine they don't have a nice one. But I can't say.

I don't remember the name of it, but there is one right off the end of runway 22. It's walking distance from the airport and overlooks the water.
It’s the Sea Island Golf Club, which is rather ironic since it’s not on Sea Island. The course on Sea Island is Ocean Forest Club. I flew down there today to meet a friend for lunch then cycle around the island. It was a nice day for it. The attached picture is the Avenue of Oaks leading into the Sea Island Golf Club5E1A74C0-3B1F-4E29-AE84-5AC9B21E4263.jpeg

Back